Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Diego vs. Austin
San Diego 91 73.39%
Austin 33 26.61%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 10:54 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,874,754 times

Advertisements

California is trying to have a responsible energy policy. Not a crime.

They do a lot of things wrong of course. Not defending everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 03:19 AM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It's already far more expensive than the other Texas cities.
Eh. Not as much as you might think. When comparing good areas to good areas it's only slightly more expensive than what's average in the N.Dallas suburbs or the more desirable areas. What sets Austin apart is it's mostly all good areas so there isnt much to weigh down the average price of a house when comparing to other metros.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:45 AM

195 posts, read 195,580 times
Guess I'm in the stark minority. I prefer Austin lol.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:30 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I've seen temps hovering around 100 with dew points of 72 in places like Rancho Santa Margarita and Escondido in July/August. Now that's Austin levels of heat and humidity.

Yes, even Escondido isn't usually as hot as Austin during the summer. But they in fact get heat waves that push the temps well past 100. The difference is that you'll also have spells of overcast weather in the mid 70s as well as mild sunny days in the low 80s to offset all those triple digit heat waves over in San Diego. In Austin, there's no such reprieve. It's consistently hot and humid.
Yep, the only way 70s and low 80s overcast days occur in Austin during summer is if there's a tropical weather system pushing far enough inland across Texas.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:49 AM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times
I like Austin but I would definitely take San Diego over it if I could move there without having Cal-Tax shoved down my throat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Yep, the only way 70s and low 80s overcast days occur in Austin during summer is if there's a tropical weather system pushing far enough inland across Texas.
That or you basically measure the temperature at 4am in June.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:06 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,402,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roanoke2 View Post
I do prefer Austin a bit as a city. My main issue with San Diego is the military influence. That just isn't my cup of tea, personally.

But I would very much enjoy the weather and geography of San Diego. I'd probably live near the beach in the LA metro if money was not an object.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:11 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roanoke2 View Post
I like Austin. I just happen to like SD more. It is very hard to beat.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:12 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I do prefer Austin a bit as a city. My main issue with San Diego is the military influence. That just isn't my cup of tea, personally.

But I would very much enjoy the weather and geography of San Diego. I'd probably live near the beach in the LA metro if money was not an object.
I'm with you. That's about as good as it gets. I'm super happy in Seattle though, so not sure I would ever leave, but I plan on getting a second home in LA.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:19 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
San Diego because it's not in Texas and Austin gets way too hot in summer.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:03 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
Wow, even Texas' coolest city is nowhere as popular or as cool as the overshadowed little brother of Los Angeles.

Which shows that maybe San Diego isn't as overshadowed as people think. That maybe it does pull more than its weight for a MSA of 3 million, and has a very good reputation nationwide.

I did another Denver vs. San Diego thread. While that thread did not have a poll, it appeared from responses that the cities were virtually tied. Think about it--San Diego tied with a Denver, another similarly sized MSA, that is the largest city for nearly a thousand mile radius. There's no way Denver is overshadowed. In fact, it is THE queen city of the Rockies, and gets a lot of hype and good rep as a progressive, cool mecca, great skiing, mountains, weed, bars, and the U of Colorado at Boulder, not to mention a kickass airport and large rail transit system.

And yet San Diego competes favorably with Denver in popular opinion.

So much so for San Diego being overshadowed. It does NOT get the hype of LA simply because LA MSA has 4 times the population. Of course it's not a fair comparison to compare an MSA of 3.3 million to an MSA of 13.3 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City