Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 04:02 PM

10 posts, read 5,121 times

Advertisements

Which is the better city for people making minimum wage or near it? Seattle benefits from higher wages and no income tax, while Portland benefits from a lower cost of living and no sales tax. Both cities have similar public transportation costs, but which one is better? Is it easier to find employment in one over the other?

I will be moving to one of the two cities in the next year. Plan on sharing a 1 bedroom apartment in a central area of either city and living a car-free lifestyle.

I've looked over what data I can find on COL, wages, taxes, unemployment rates, and housing availability. It is easy enough to make direct comparisons, but when looking at the overall picture it is a bit more complicated. Real-world experience seems to be the best way to compare the two, so especially interested in input from people that have lived in one or both areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 04:18 PM

56 posts, read 55,567 times
Neither, honestly.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:47 PM

On a national scale, they're not the best place for a low wage worker, but I'm only interested in how the two compare. I moved from the Bay Area to a low-cost sunbelt city and regret it. I have more purchasing power than in the bay area but my wages still took a significant hit and car ownership is a necessity. I'm wanting to move to somewhere more similar to the bay area as far as culture and amenities, just with a lower COL.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:50 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times
As mentioned previously, neither is great in this regard. However, if you had to choose, I think the answer is easily Portland. You can find a cheaper one-bedroom in Portland's urban core than you could in Seattle and the difference in minimum wage between the two is not that much: $11.25 in Oregon vs. $12.00 in Washington.

What other factors do you care about, though? The cities have some similarities but quite a few differences as well. The Puget Sound region is definitely more cosmopolitan and has more similarities to the Bay Area than the Portland Metro area does.

Last edited by Vincent_Adultman; 01-23-2020 at 05:02 PM..

Old 01-23-2020, 06:17 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Neither. But between the two (for now), Portland would be "better".

Old 01-23-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
As mentioned previously, neither is great in this regard. However, if you had to choose, I think the answer is easily Portland. You can find a cheaper one-bedroom in Portland's urban core than you could in Seattle and the difference in minimum wage between the two is not that much: $11.25 in Oregon vs. $12.00 in Washington.
Both cities actually have different minimum wages from the state. Portland being $12.50 and Seattle $15.75 to $16.39 depending on employer size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
What other factors do you care about, though? The cities have some similarities but quite a few differences as well. The Puget Sound region is definitely more cosmopolitan and has more similarities to the Bay Area than the Portland Metro area does.
I've been to both cities and am pretty familiar with their differences and have things I find preferrable about both of them. The two things I'm most interested in finding out about them is which is easier for a low wage worker to live in when you look at COL, wages and tax differences between the two, and which has superior public transportation.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:06 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Seattle has a more successful transit system (measured by commute share) but Portland has a more rail-oriented system, and some of Seattle's numbers are due to population density around transit-served areas. Both make it relatively easy to skip car ownership.

Portland is much cheaper. I don't have numbers but an online apartment search will make the comparison fairly evident.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Portland is much cheaper. I don't have numbers but an online apartment search will make the comparison fairly evident.
Do you know if the higher rental prices in Seattle mean your paycheck goes further in Portland? Could the higher wages and no state income tax in Seattle possibly balance the two out or even make Portland less affordable? The rent and wages seem to be the biggest financial difference between the cities but Portland also has a lower grocery cost/no sales tax.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:23 PM

381 posts, read 349,193 times
Portland.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:34 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,750,850 times
Shouldn't the question be, "Which city has the best opportunity to move me out of a minimum wage job?"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City