Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 11:27 AM

93,286 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Ok. That’s fine and all but are we not talking about city comparisons? Not MSA comparisons? Regardless of Millennials moving back to the suburbs it’s not as great a shift as in generations past.

I mean Albany can’t be all that desirable given its lost population every since or census since 1950 and has a much smaller MSA than Providence...

Hartford isnt all that desirable despite its MSA being wealthy and prosperous.

I’m just not sure why you’re focusing on suburbs and economics so much. Important but when we’re talking comeback cities.

Pittsburgh’s come back as a city without any improvement (arguably decline) in its suburbs. And I don’t think that’s all that uncommon .

What are you ultimately arguing? Hartford will become more desirable than Providence? I doubt it-but maybe. Will Hartford improve more, IMO yes.
City limits actually has small growth during the 2000-2010 decade and slight decline according to estimates this past decade, but the metro area has generally grown. Saratoga County had a lot to do with that, but i believe that the other counties have had some recent growth as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 11:28 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Don't sleep on Albany-Schenectady-Troy. A very affordable area with numerous good colleges ( SUNY Albany, Union College, RPI, St. Rose, Siena, etc, a prominent public employment sector, Albany Medical Center ( w/Albany Medical College), and only 3 hrs from either Boston or NYC. And it's becoming a tech center, as well..

Underrated area..

Old 02-10-2020, 11:32 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
City limits actually has small growth during the 2000-2010 decade and slight decline according to estimates this past decade, but the metro area has generally grown. Saratoga County had a lot to do with that, but i believe that the other counties have had some recent growth as well.
My bad.I did miss that slight bump of 2k people in between 200 and 2010.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:32 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
I’m arguing that Barrington isn’t going to have a better school system than Avon CT. Or Guilford CT. I can’t speak to Albany. The economy is tied to where the 5%ers live. They’re clearly not going to live in those four cities within the city limits no matter how much love you show for Providence. I like Providence but I don’t see how you attract white collar professionals to it or entice Brown grads to stay.

When people say I live in Boston, they’re generally really living in a suburb. The Boston population is tiny compared to the MSA. The same is true for the four cities in this thread.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:44 AM

93,286 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m arguing that Barrington isn’t going to have a better school system than Avon CT. Or Guilford CT. I can’t speak to Albany. The economy is tied to where the 5%ers live. They’re clearly not going to live in those four cities within the city limits no matter how much love you show for Providence. I like Providence but I don’t see how you attract white collar professionals to it or entice Brown grads to stay.

When people say I live in Boston, they’re generally really living in a suburb. The Boston population is tiny compared to the MSA. The same is true for the four cities in this thread.
In the Albany area, I'd say Niskayuna just east of Schenectady(General Electric and Knolls Atomic Laboratory $), Bethlehem just south of Albany, the Loudonville area in northern Colonie just north of
Albany(Siena College is located there, North Colonie SD), Clifton Park and Halfmoon in southern Saratoga County(Shenendehowa SD) and even much of Saratoga Springs/surrounding towns(Wilton, Malta(Global Foundries $/Ballston Spa SD), etc.), among others(parts of East Greenbush, Guilderland, Rexford/Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake and Niskayuna SD's, Voorheesville, etc.).

A little old, but Albany area SD's on this list are #'s 2,3,6,7,8,tied for 13, 16, 18 and both tied for 19: https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...ctincome1.html

In this one, #'s 4, 8, 9 and both tied for 15: https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...ctincome2.html

So, there is more $ in the area than some may think there is.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-10-2020 at 11:54 AM..

Old 02-10-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

so youre talking MSA. I'm not. That's the disconnect.. I would change my entire list if that's the case. Generally im talking city proper unless otherwise denoted with "area" or "MSA"

I don't buy that the burbs drive the city's growth/appeal. Rather, its visa versa unless maybe you're core is totally a shell and incapable of immediate revitalization (a la Detroit)

Hartford burbs were better than Providence's 30 years ago, and still are today. Which city would you rather live in today? Providence or Hartford? Which city has seen a renaissance and grown over the last 30 years, Providence or Hartford? Which city decayed further?

Old 02-10-2020, 01:27 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,014 times
Quote:
so youre talking MSA. I'm not. That's the disconnect.. I would change my entire list if that's the case. Generally im talking city proper unless otherwise denoted with "area" or "MSA"

I don't buy that the burbs drive the city's growth/appeal. Rather, its visa versa unless maybe you're core is totally a shell and incapable of immediate revitalization (a la Detroit)

Hartford burbs were better than Providence's 30 years ago, and still are today. Which city would you rather live in today? Providence or Hartford? Which city has seen a renaissance and grown over the last 30 years, Providence or Hartford? Which city decayed further?
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Providence I think... its close to Boston, whch is the 2nd fastest growing city between NYC, BOS, PHL, DC, and BAL.

In the next 20 years Providence will have:
-A 600ft tower
-High-Speed Rail service to Boston in just about 40 minutes, at good frequency
-It has the bones to grow over 200k people.
-TF Green growth as BOS comes to a limit, you'll start seeing more airlines shift there as we saw before the MAX groundings.
-Providence is emerging as a nightclub hub and great scene for the LGBT populace
-The amount of blight has been significantly reduced since 2010, and will continue to do so.

The only city thats better than Boston (Best city in the world) to live in? Providence... and I think Providence will see that translate to growth as RI becomes more attractive.

Sometimes I think on how corrupt RI's govt is and I wonder what the state would be like if it merged with MA...
What would Providence do with a 600 ft tower. Don't they currently have an abandoned 500 ft tower?

Old 02-10-2020, 01:44 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
What would Providence do with a 600 ft tower. Don't they currently have an abandoned 500 ft tower?
Well its going to be a Residential Tower...
https://www.google.com/search?q=fane...RlweJjqK6nyJjM
Also, that 500ft building, the Superman Building, is about to bought out by URI.

And Providence if connected by electrified rail to Boston in under 45 minutes would make it grow the fastest of said four cities. Didnt say it woudl be the best of the 4, it just would have the most opportunity.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:05 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
Quote:
so youre talking MSA. I'm not ... I don't buy that the burbs drive the city's growth/appeal. Rather, its visa versa unless maybe you're core is totally a shell and incapable of immediate revitalization (a la Detroit)
Everyplace has suburbs. Better cities have better suburbs even in cases where the city's eminence is historical while its suburbs retain their status. Hartford, Detroit, Cleveland and other cities have great suburbs even as the city has declined. Sometimes the best suburbs are within city limits, as in Baltimore. Boston had great suburbs through all its years of decline. Since its revival it still has great suburbs. Suburbs do not determine growth or decline of a city; they're too diffuse a category. Having great suburbs hasn't kept any city from losing its mojo and is unlikely to make much of a difference in helping said city get it back.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Everyplace has suburbs. Better cities have better suburbs even in cases where the city's eminence is historical while its suburbs retain their status. Hartford, Detroit, Cleveland and other cities have great suburbs even as the city has declined. Sometimes the best suburbs are within city limits, as in Baltimore. Boston had great suburbs through all its years of decline. Since its revival it still has great suburbs. Suburbs do not determine growth or decline of a city; they're too diffuse a category. Having great suburbs hasn't kept any city from losing its mojo and is unlikely to make much of a difference in helping said city get it back.
Yes I agree. So my point stands that Providence can be a better city and is a better City than Hartford and Albany even with worse suburbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City