Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 09:48 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,410,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The Garden District is probably one of the nicest neighborhoods in the country, certainly nicer than anything in Austin. Most of Uptown is pretty nice, Lakeview is a nice suburban area of the city too.
Not saying it isn't nice, but "certainly nicer than anything in Austin" seems like hyperbole. Austin has plenty of very nice areas. All of the areas along Lake Austin like West Lake Hills and Tarrytown for example...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 11:18 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,696,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Not saying it isn't nice, but "certainly nicer than anything in Austin" seems like hyperbole. Austin has plenty of very nice areas. All of the areas along Lake Austin like West Lake Hills and Tarrytown for example...
I personally don't think the McMansions of Austin are really comparable to historic mansions of the Garden District. There is just nothing in Austin the remotely comes close to a neighborhood full of homes like the GD.

Old 02-12-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I personally don't think the McMansions of Austin are really comparable to historic mansions of the Garden District. There is just nothing in Austin the remotely comes close to a neighborhood full of homes like the GD.
Obviously New Orleans is a much older and more historic city, but you said "nicer than anything in Austin", which I have to disagree with.

Old 02-12-2020, 12:57 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,366,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Obviously New Orleans is a much older and more historic city, but you said "nicer than anything in Austin", which I have to disagree with.
I'd say they both have areas that are equally nice, but they provide different vibes. I prefer the historic and cultural vibes of Nola over the newness of Austin, but that's all personal preference.

Old 02-12-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I'd say they both have areas that are equally nice, but they provide different vibes. I prefer the historic and cultural vibes of Nola over the newness of Austin, but that's all personal preference.
I love New Orleans, but to me "nice" is not the word that comes to mind. Austin is by far the cleaner, safer, and more upscale city. Both cities have charm, quirkiness, and personality. New Orleans is certainly much more historic.

Old 02-13-2020, 02:50 AM

11,848 posts, read 8,059,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Austin isn't exactly new, just most of its development happened fairly recently.

It doesn't have the historic vibe felt in Garden District but there are historic parts of town. Tarrytown, Clarksville and Old West Austin have historic mansions and homes with more personality than the cookie cutters you get in the burbs. I wouldn't put it on the same level as NOLA but assuming Austin is all new MCmansions is heavily inaccurate. Those homes catered to wealthy politicians, government officials and oil retirees before Austin became 'hip'.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Austin isn't exactly new, just most of its development happened fairly recently.

It doesn't have the historic vibe felt in Garden District but there are historic parts of town. Tarrytown, Clarksville and Old West Austin have historic mansions and homes with more personality than the cookie cutters you get in the burbs. I wouldn't put it on the same level as NOLA but assuming Austin is all new MCmansions is heavily inaccurate. Those homes catered to wealthy politicians, government officials and oil retirees before Austin became 'hip'.
New Orleans is about 100 years older than Austin, which is not insignificant, but I would say that the bigger factor is that New Orleans was the much larger and more important city until quite recently. Austin didn't catch up with New Orleans in city population until the 1990s, and probably didn't pass New Orleans in metro population until Katrina (or perhaps just before). So Austin does have some historic areas, as you mentioned, but fewer of them in comparison to New Orleans and they are also less densely built. Still, Austin was the capital of an independent country 180 years ago, so it's not accurate to say that everything is brand new.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:26 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,357,029 times
Austin.

As someone who resides 90 miles SW in city as old as NOLA and does not like Austin all that much it WAY surpasses NOLA in safety, education, dating, overall quality of life, and cleanliness. We visit NOLA at least twice a year but I could never see myself living there.

We have friends that moved to NOLA and love it, but their cars have been broken into as has their their house. (they did move from Waco to NOLA so anything is a step up from there)

Old 03-08-2020, 10:34 AM

9,689 posts, read 9,429,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Austin.

As someone who resides 90 miles SW in city as old as NOLA and does not like Austin all that much it WAY surpasses NOLA in safety, education, dating, overall quality of life, and cleanliness. We visit NOLA at least twice a year but I could never see myself living there.

We have friends that moved to NOLA and love it, but their cars have been broken into as has their their house. (they did move from Waco to NOLA so anything is a step up from there)
That is interesting. I wonder how both cities compare on non-violent crime.

Old 03-09-2020, 10:26 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,537,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Consider the follows cities in Addition to Austin, NOLA

Tampa, FL
Raleigh-Durham, NC
Charlotte, NC
Nashville, TN
Orlando, FL
I second this /\ big time. I'd easily prefer all 5 of these metros over New Orleans or Austin, but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City