Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 06:16 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times

Advertisements

Seattle numbers will drop, but it'll still be busy. Vacancy rates are still low, and job growth is still high, particularly in the urban core and central Eastside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 12:20 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Atlanta is still the clear alpha dog of the southeast overall. Unless you count TX or FL, no one is even remotely close.

What's happened is ATL got overbuilt so most the development dollars have shifted to mid major southern cities for multifamily....Nashville, Austin, Orlando, Tampa are the biggest winners.

Louisville, Sarasota, and a a few other mid majors are also red hot and getting hotter as the next rung down.

There is renewed interest in older Midwest towns and Detroit and Columbus are leading the pack. Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and other CD darlings are no where to be found as their growth is stagnant or negative.

Out west, a similar group of educated mid majors are leading the drive away from the traditional overpriced mega centers...places like Salt Lake and Portland. If this trend continues the next two decades, the entire US landscape will change this century. Very interesting times!
That clearly not happening, The number of building would be interesting thing to look at but your try to explain as if other southern cities are out building Atlanta, and Atlanta is lagging because of the recession both of which is incorrect. When Atlanta is still top 5 in growth.

Your just posting the number buildings not units. Which means your source treat one five unit building the same as one 30 unit.

So If a city develops five little 5 unit buildings, it would more buildings "yes" but less units than if a city develop one larger 30 unit building.

A lot of Atlanta infill develop tend to larger loft building etc, There actually have been debates in Atlanta forum for years over Zoning preventing smaller multi units.

That's why it contradicts this so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Agree, but using the Dallas number from the other post means that probably 65% or so of these units do end up getting built.

Here is 2018 numbers (from https://socds.huduser.gov/permits/)

NYC MSA: 38,615 units
Dallas MSA: 27,061 units
Los Angeles MSA: 19,482 units
Seattle MSA: 19,052 units
Houston MSA: 16,967 units
San Francisco MSA: 13,373 units
Austin MSA: 13,005 units
Atlanta MSA: 12,935 units
Miami MSA: 12,531 units
Orlando MSA: 12,427 units
Washington DC MSA: 12,169 units
Denver MSA: 9921 units
Boston MSA: 9253 units
Minneapolis MSA: 9221 units
Charlotte MSA: 9208 units
Chicago MSA: 9135 units
Phoenix MSA: 7817 units
Portland MSA: 7311 units
San Diego MSA: 6345 units
Philadelphia MSA: 6281 units
San Jose MSA: 6278 units
Nashville MSA: 5689 units
Raleigh, NC MSA: 4790 units
Jacksonville MSA: 4695 units
Kansas City MSA: 4660 units
Baltimore MSA: 3926 units
San Antonio MSA: 3484 units
Salt Lake City MSA: 3359 units
Tampa MSA: 3224 units
Riverside, CA MSA: 3218 units
Louisville MSA: 2409 units
Las Vegas MSA: 2323 units
St. Louis MSA: 2096 units
Milwaukee MSA: 2057 units
Omaha MSA: 1997 units
Cincinnati MSA: 1794 units
Indianapolis MSA: 1603 units
Richmond, VA MSA: 1563 units
Sacramento MSA: 1480 units
Virginia Beach MSA: 1436 units
Honolulu MSA: 1427 units
Memphis MSA: 1307 units
Grand Rapids, MI MSA: 1105 units
Pittsburgh MSA: 1060 units
Detroit MSA: 1032 units
Rochester, NY MSA: 1030 units
Albany, NY MSA: 1008 units
New Orleans MSA: 818 units
Hartford, CT MSA: 780 units
El Paso MSA: 665 units
Tulsa MSA: 567 units
Buffalo MSA: 478 units
Providence MSA: 410 units
Bridgeport, CT MSA: 344 units
Oklahoma City MSA: 300 units
Cleveland MSA: 248 units

Old 02-22-2020, 01:21 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
A dozen, 2 story suburban buildings could be built, each with 8 units in them, and it would be counted as "more" using this methodology than 1 building with 200 units. This is a flawed methodology that I suspect was used to elevate a specific city in a conversation. I'll leave it at that.

Old 02-23-2020, 11:13 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
A dozen, 2 story suburban buildings could be built, each with 8 units in them, and it would be counted as "more" using this methodology than 1 building with 200 units. This is a flawed methodology that I suspect was used to elevate a specific city in a conversation. I'll leave it at that.
Actually it wasn't. If you are talking about Louisville, it fares better in TOTAL units just like these other cities. Top 30 or 31 either way. Per capita, Boise, Sarasota, Fayetteville, and maybe 1 or 2 others are the most impressive here.

There is no elevating anywhere using statistical facts. I'm sorry Raleigh wasn't there. That town has lot of suburban style development that may have not made the cut as far as sheer numbers..maybe take up your beef with the US Census? It isn't "flawed methodology" just because your town wasn't listed because these are STATISTICAL FACTS. That and alot of other sunbelt towns have lot of 300 unit sprawling suburban style places built.

I think looking at total 5 plex plus buildings is another data point....realistically, the most thriving cities ought to be in the top quartile in both number of multifamily buildings (over 5 units) built AND in number of total multifamily units. Also, I do indeed think a dozen ten plexes inserted into ANY environment, urban or suburban, does more for the fabric of a city than 120 units plopped in a field in generic 3 story buildings 20 miles from an urban core. That last sentence is my opinion. The rest of this thread is based in cold, hard facts. However, decent shot at making census data looked like "flawed methodology." And your post was made to elevate Raleigh, or the lack of elevation of Raleigh. So again, what was your point?

Old 02-28-2020, 12:29 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
It would be interesting to see a deeper analysis, namely the median number of units in these structures. Chicago is seeing entire 70-story-plus skyscrapers with hundreds of units going up. I presume New York is seeing the same, though for all I know NYC is already so built out in its core that this isn't happening after all.
Yeah, the sizing of the buildings would probably be a large factor and can vary a lot by city.

In Chicago there tend to be three types of buildings going up, single family homes (usually tearing down older housing and putting up luxury homes), three flats which are a very popular type of home on our lots over the past few decades, and then very large multi family properties that eat up multiple lots at once.

For instance if I look back at last years permits I see there were 6,800 new units permitted in the city in 128 5+ unit buildings. So any building built with more than 5 units averaged far more than 50 units.

Looking at prior data as well I see 7,754 buildings going up in 2017 in 171 buildings with 5+ units. So that's still an average of nearly 50 units per building.

Downtown most highrises have hundreds of units, while on the north side there have been an explosion of historically more uncommon multi-unit buildings, those with between say 25 and 125 units. Those "big box" type buildings have been built by the dozen the past 10 years or so.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:51 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
It would be interesting to see a deeper analysis, namely the median number of units in these structures. Chicago is seeing entire 70-story-plus skyscrapers with hundreds of units going up. I presume New York is seeing the same, though for all I know NYC is already so built out in its core that this isn't happening after all.
It's definitely happening big time in NYC...

Old 02-28-2020, 12:53 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Downtown most highrises have hundreds of units, while on the north side there have been an explosion of historically more uncommon multi-unit buildings, those with between say 25 and 125 units. Those "big box" type buildings have been built by the dozen the past 10 years or so.
Are you sure those developments are single buildings though and not, say, developments with a cluster of townhouse structrures of 6 to 15 units? I'm not super-familiar with development outside of downtown since I don't drive around the rest of the city much, but those seem to be the more popular large-scale developments on the north and northwest sides these days. Examples that stick out in particular are the newish-looking development at the corner of Lawrence and Clark, or the townhouse cluster at the intersection of Wrightwood and Altgeld.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City