Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More upscale
Buckhead/Brookhaven 42 51.85%
Scottsdale 39 48.15%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 07:51 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,650,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
That Wiki is also calling it an edge city, which is wrong. I think Buckhead is Buckhead at this point. Buckhead would have more in common with upscale party districts, I think. Many people still reminisce on Buckhead village when hearing the name Buckhead. Even with Lenox, i would no longer consider it sophisticated. No one who actually lives here would. It’s a mess these days. Hopefully shops at Buckhead and Phipps continue to distinguish themselves.

I’m more curious as to why you think it outcompetes Scottsdale, have you visited a lot?
How is Lenox not sophisticated? Buckhead Village, the bar district as it was commonly known way back in the day, has been replaced with high-end shopping, apartment buildings and million dollar high-rise condos. There is only a small section left of the remaining bars but that is quickly being replaced by large mixed-use developments. The areas around 5 Paces are all that exist. If you’re 25 it’s the place go. I ran around there for years but big money has taken over. Yes I’ve visited Scottsdale. It is very nice, just not as sophisticated and upscale as Buckhead imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 08:01 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,183 times
Quote:
That Wiki is also calling it an edge city, which is wrong. I think Buckhead is Buckhead at this point. Buckhead would have more in common with upscale party districts, I think. Many people still reminisce on Buckhead village when hearing the name Buckhead. Even with Lenox, i would no longer consider it sophisticated. No one who actually lives here would. It’s a mess these days. Hopefully shops at Buckhead and Phipps continue to distinguish themselves.

I’m more curious as to why you think it outcompetes Scottsdale, have you visited a lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
How is Lenox not sophisticated? Buckhead Village, the bar district as it was commonly known way back in the day, has been replaced with high-end shopping, apartment buildings and million dollar high-rise condos. There is only a small section left of the remaining bars but that is quickly being replaced by large mixed-use developments. The areas around 5 Paces are all that exist. If you’re 25 it’s the place go. I ran around there for years but big money has taken over. Yes I’ve visited Scottsdale. It is very nice, just not as sophisticated and upscale as Buckhead imo.
Do you live in Atlanta?

People are scared to go to Lenox, it’s not just a stereotype reason either. Lenox had like 3 shootings in a 4 week span here recently. It still has very expensive items, but the people who hang out at Lenox are running off the actual money. And no not along race lines, but class lines.

I have people who visit who comment on how “millitarized” security is there.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:06 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,650,170 times
Quote:
Do you live in Atlanta?

People are scared to go to Lenox, it’s not just a stereotype reason either. Lenox had like 3 shootings in a 4 week span here recently. It still has very expensive items, but the people who hang out at Lenox are running off the actual money. And no not along race lines, but class lines.

Yes in Brookhaven. Do you? So because there have been some unfortunate events means it’s no longer a good shopping destination? When was the last time you were there? Atlanta is a big city. Crime happens everywhere.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:14 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,183 times
I stay in what most consider “hood” so that mess isn’t a deterrent to me, but people who come from a culture of big spenders take issue with it. I go to Lenox every couple of months.

3 shootings in a month span is bad for anyone though, if you think the average Buckhead/North Fulton mom won’t bat an eye at that, you are too optimistic. People are scared of Lenox.

Lots of the people you see at Lenox these days are out of towners.

And while I’m at it, this was said about Scottsdale

“ Both "Old Town" and "Downtown" Scottsdale possess an dazing array of bars, nightclubs, pool clubs and chic eateries. Nicknamed the "Beverly Hills of the Desert," Scottsdale is second to none in terms of opportunity for high-end debauchery.”

https://wikitravel.org/en/Scottsdale_(Arizona)

So you can see why people are dismissive of the Beverly Hills thing.

Old 02-23-2020, 09:02 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Google Beverly Hills of the South and tell me what you find...I’ll wait lol.
I see a lot of articles written by Atlanta teal estate agents calling it that. And then a ton of CD posts. I can call myself the lebron James of Seattle. It doesn’t mean it’s true

Back to the original question, doesn’t Scottsdale have a lot of resorts and golf? That makes it feel upscale.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:44 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,846 times
Quote:
Do you live in Atlanta?

I’ll take your word for it, but if you’re scared to go to Lenox, then you shouldn’t be in Atlanta at all. Maybe somewhere like rural Maine or Montana where you’re pretty isolated from the current state of the world.

Folks act like crime is unique to Atlanta only.

Borderline Bar & Grill is still open and kicking, it doesn’t seem like folks are afraid of that place. Ned Peppers is still alive and well.

But folks are afraid of Lenox Square? Ok.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:48 AM

817 posts, read 598,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Surprised Scottsdale is winning this. Buckhead/Brookhaven feels more ritzy to me.
My thoughts, too. Buckhead is very posh. Scottsdale seems more like middle class Angelenos LARPing as rich people. But I could be wrong.

Old 02-23-2020, 11:09 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Buckhead: "The Beverly Hills of the South", "The Beverly Hills of the East"

Old 02-23-2020, 11:20 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Buckhead. Just go look at the homes in Tuxedo Park.

Also, Atlanta has the 2nd highest top 5% average household income($663,000) in the country after SF and they almost all live in Buckhead. Buckhead has always been where the old money South was located. Plenty of celebrities have had houses in Buckhead including Justin Beiber, Usher, Future, Tyler Perry, Cardi B, etc.

Source: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...s-average.html

Scottsdale is nice and is nearly homogenous middle class, but it doesn't have the super wealth of Buckhead. Buckhead is older though so that's why it might feel "run down" in some spots.

Old 02-23-2020, 11:21 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
I prefer Buckhead but Scottsdale is similar imo as far as flashiness and women dressed to the nines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City