Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 12:25 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times

Advertisements

This is going to turn into a Phoenix bashing thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 12:27 PM

724 posts, read 560,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
This is going to turn into a Phoenix bashing thread
It really shouldn't. Phoenix seems like a cool enough place. This should be a "bash 3rd party ranking sites" thread though because, lets be real, something as subjective as "best place to live" is dumb. There's no such thing. It's what do you prioritize and value and what's the best based off that.

Old 03-04-2020, 03:02 PM

129 posts, read 111,240 times
Without a doubt LA is a world class city and I think a direct Phoenix to LA comparison is probably not fair. With that being said, Phoenix can no longer be judged on what it was 10 or 20 years ago. The city is well run and is putting in some serious efforts to try and catch up to its population ranking (5th largest). That's a hard thing to do as it is still the fastest growing city of its size in the US. The place is growing like mad. It will soon have about 15 or so cranes up in downtown, not to mention adjacent cities like Tempe that are currently one giant construction zone. LA does have the better weather and oceans, but I think I'd rather live in Phoenix and visit LA or CA. It's cleaner, less crime, less homeless, better/more affordable housing options (not cheap, but cheaper than LA), and the metro job market is as hot as it is in the summertime.

Last edited by theTelecommuter; 03-04-2020 at 03:27 PM..

Old 03-04-2020, 04:26 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
It really shouldn't. Phoenix seems like a cool enough place. This should be a "bash 3rd party ranking sites" thread though because, lets be real, something as subjective as "best place to live" is dumb. There's no such thing. It's what do you prioritize and value and what's the best based off that.
I don’t disagree with you. I’m just saying California is bigger in population for a reason and Californians (and 99% of Phoenicians honestly) will defend LA and San Diego like it’s some kind of utopia. Phoenicians generally view LA as a utopia that got taken over by left wingers. Phoenicians have an inferiority complex in relation to Southern California as a whole and the nation ultimately agrees LA is a cooler and more “worthy” place to live in, given everyone believes we are at fault for Lake Mead along with Las Vegas but we really aren’t. Most of Lake Mead water is going to LA... or one of its neighboring cities in Southern California. California is worth more in the eyes of most Americans.

Phoenix is a decent enough place as a resident, there are problems but frankly every place has that. But PHoenix is viewed sort of like the red-headed stepchild for this country. So far no one has done this yet. I’m just predicting what I know this will evolve to because it’s inevitable.

Old 03-04-2020, 04:34 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
My thoughts? These ranking things are usually simply click bait to get people to visit a site or read a publication. It is for selling advertising or increasing traffic. Some intern in a cubicle cranks this out without any real knowledge of the topic.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:03 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Meh. Most of the state of Arizona looks like the moon to me. Not my style.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:35 PM

101 posts, read 80,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I don’t disagree with you. I’m just saying California is bigger in population for a reason and Californians (and 99% of Phoenicians honestly) will defend LA and San Diego like it’s some kind of utopia. Phoenicians generally view LA as a utopia that got taken over by left wingers. Phoenicians have an inferiority complex in relation to Southern California as a whole and the nation ultimately agrees LA is a cooler and more “worthy” place to live in, given everyone believes we are at fault for Lake Mead along with Las Vegas but we really aren’t. Most of Lake Mead water is going to LA... or one of its neighboring cities in Southern California. California is worth more in the eyes of most Americans.

Phoenix is a decent enough place as a resident, there are problems but frankly every place has that. But PHoenix is viewed sort of like the red-headed stepchild for this country. So far no one has done this yet. I’m just predicting what I know this will evolve to because it’s inevitable.
Although this seems like an intoxicated rambling, my response to this is ... no.

Californian's are flocking to Phoenix and Arizona. I think it may be Californian's that are a bit insecure about the mass departures from CA. Although CA could lose millions and no one there would really notice. People (and companies) are heading out of that over taxed state and moving to places like AZ, TX, UT, NV, ID.

Arizona is next door, there is no need to have an inferiority complex, or envy SoCal. It's a short drive to go visit and enjoy the natural beauty and then return to a sane city and state to live a higher quality of life. I'm from SoCal (born and raised) .. the rest of the country over hypes it (because it was once great) and many Californians don't want to acknowledge there are other enjoyable places to live in the country. The ridiculous amount of taxes, high gas prices, smog, traffic, homelessness, crime, and overly liberal politics are causing people to leave. I don't see SoCal as a utopia, it's becoming a mess there. Happy to be in AZ. The only thing to envy in CA .. the gorgeous coast line, which is a pain to travel to and enjoy if you don't live close.

Last edited by TedMosby; 03-04-2020 at 06:58 PM..

Old 03-04-2020, 07:51 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Property crime and violent crime is higher in Phoenix than Los Angeles.

Last edited by pwright1; 03-04-2020 at 08:12 PM..

Old 03-04-2020, 08:00 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,392 times
People who choose Phoenix over LA are just poorer. No shame of being poorer. I used to be like that at 13 working my first job. But now I make high 9 figures. So no shame, if I can do it, you can do it, too. #noshameindamoneygame

Old 03-04-2020, 09:47 PM

408 posts, read 580,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theTelecommuter View Post
Without a doubt LA is a world class city and I think a direct Phoenix to LA comparison is probably not fair. With that being said, Phoenix can no longer be judged on what it was 10 or 20 years ago. The city is well run and is putting in some serious efforts to try and catch up to its population ranking (5th largest). That's a hard thing to do as it is still the fastest growing city of its size in the US. The place is growing like mad. It will soon have about 15 or so cranes up in downtown, not to mention adjacent cities like Tempe that are currently one giant construction zone. LA does have the better weather and oceans, but I think I'd rather live in Phoenix and visit LA or CA. It's cleaner, less crime, less homeless, better/more affordable housing options (not cheap, but cheaper than LA), and the metro job market is as hot as it is in the summertime.
Accurate Post, said it all. Especially that about the construction cranes. Around 17-18 by next month and more to come. LA is love and honestly a beast and would demolish Phoenix in a cultural and destination comparison, but this is a new city and honestly one where i'm not surprised of its ranking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City