Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 09:49 PM

408 posts, read 580,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
People who choose Phoenix over LA are just poorer. No shame of being poorer. I used to be like that at 13 working my first job. But now I make high 9 figures. So no shame, if I can do it, you can do it, too. #noshameindamoneygame
Lmao. At least they're not struggling trying to "Make it" or "tough it out" in LA. I'll be poorer in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 10:07 PM

11,790 posts, read 8,002,955 times
No offense to California but I do feel California is losing its touch by disregarding the middle class so extremely. They've made a practical life nearly impossible. There is alot of value in the average working class citizen being able to afford a mortgage without living in a shoebox or under an overpass.

I know little about what Pheonix is doing but there's more to being a great city than the glamour of being a world class entity, beaches and mountains. Its beautiful there dont get me wrong but that's still only skin deep.

Functionality is often overlooked and just as important and that's what alot of these second tier cities are starting to offer in terms of a basic lifestyle especially when some of them are starting to offer similar salaries in respective fields for a much lower CoL.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:33 PM

373 posts, read 252,758 times
LA is a faster paced, better weather, more diverse, more fun city than Phoenix and is one of two world class cities in the western U.S. Phoenix is not on LA level IMO

Old 03-04-2020, 11:26 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
L.A. and is a faster paced, better weather, more diverse, more fun city than Phoenix and is one of two world class cities in the western U.S. Phoenix is not on LA level IMO
Phoenix is best compared with Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Denver to the north. LA on the other hand is a unique beast and is a true world city. LA sits at the table with not only NYC but places like London, Paris, Milan, Rome, etc. Phoenix isn't on that level and that isn't a bad thing.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:45 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
Source: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Phoenix is graded an A-. Los Angeles is only a B.
There are a lot of cities up there at A- with Phoenix, including Chicago. Doesn't mean a thing on Niche. LA has fantastic neighborhoods and not so great areas, so does Phoenix. Keep this in perspective.

Last edited by Yac; 03-16-2020 at 08:15 AM..

Old 03-05-2020, 04:38 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
No offense to California but I do feel California is losing its touch by disregarding the middle class so extremely. They've made a practical life nearly impossible. There is alot of value in the average working class citizen being able to afford a mortgage without living in a shoebox or under an overpass.

I know little about what Pheonix is doing but there's more to being a great city than the glamour of being a world class entity, beaches and mountains. Its beautiful there dont get me wrong but that's still only skin deep.

Functionality is often overlooked and just as important and that's what alot of these second tier cities are starting to offer in terms of a basic lifestyle especially when some of them are starting to offer similar salaries in respective fields for a much lower CoL.
Its true. The point about the middle class is dead on. The only people moving there long term are either really rich or really poor. Its the middle class thats trying to get out.

LA is obviously a much more interesting place to visit but living someplace is not the same thing.

There is a reason why I fly there on an almost weekly basis as opposed to moving back to LA. Its just become a really difficult place to live. Its absolutely true that it does have world class amenities and has a climate and natural surrounding that makes almost any other city jealous, but unless youre either really rich or happy to spend eternity renting and can put up with the traffic its pretty hard to be there.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:54 PM

68 posts, read 40,160 times
How bad is traffic in Phoenix compared with LA?

Old 03-05-2020, 07:56 PM

700 posts, read 421,876 times
I imagine this test is based on affordability and quality of life.

But no! As a young person who needs an exciting city I would never ever consider Phoenix over Places like LA, NYC, Miami, DC etc.

Phoenix is a place I’ll consider when I’m retired.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:58 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
Source: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Phoenix is graded an A-. Los Angeles is only a B.
I agree, Phoenix is much better than LA.

Last edited by Yac; 03-16-2020 at 08:14 AM..

Old 03-05-2020, 11:56 PM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 438,060 times
Phoenix is what you get when you combine suburban Central Florida with the Inland Empire (Riverside/San Bernardino/Palm Desert).

Sure, it's growing impressively, but as far as sunbelt cities go, I would say the Texas metros (Dallas, Houston, Austin) are still ahead. Same for Atlanta, Nashville and Charlotte. Though I will say PHX is a better place to live when compared to all of New Mexico, Las Vegas, El Paso, San Antonio, and anything in FL with the exception of Miami.

The main reason people like comparing PHX with LA is because lots of Californians move to PHX. Many of them were priced out of California by insane housing costs. Some of them are political refugees (conservatives who didn't like liberal culture/politics).

Also, ASU in Tempe is a popular destination for kids in SoCal who can't get into the desirable universities here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City