Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 12:08 AM

11,790 posts, read 8,002,955 times

Advertisements

I like Austin but I can't see how it can be ahead of Pheonix with the exception of innovative IT. I would kill for Pheonix infrastructure in Austin.

Pheonix pretty much reminds me of Inland Empire with a Downtown, I dont think Florida really needs to be added into the comparison...well one thing that I did find similar is that its freeways include SPUI's on access roads like U.S. 19 in Tampa FL ... The only other two places that have those are Atlanta (Peachtree Ind Blvd) and Huntsville AL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 12:59 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times
In my opinion, the personality of Phoenix is noticeably more antisocial than the personality of L.A. On average, people in Los Angeles are friendlier and more nonchalant than people in Phoenix, which means L.A. residents are often chattier and more approachable than Phoenix residents. This is especially true in Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Long Beach and Lakewood. As a result of this regional characteristic, I have had a much easier time meeting new people and building meaningful, long-lasting, mutually dependable friendships in L.A. People in Phoenix are constantly filtering in and out, similar to a revolving door, so most friendships are shallow and do not last for more than a couple of years. I believe the transient character of Phoenix is especially challenging for children. Many of the people I know who grew up in Phoenix have odd family backgrounds that include chronic divorce and remarriage, prison sentences, alcoholism and substance abuse, homelessness and food insecurity, deportation, etc. All of these factors make those individuals poorly adjusted from a social perspective. And unfortunately, low-class people live all over the Phoenix metropolitan area due to relatively affordable real estate costs, which means it is harder to insulate yourself from people with major problems than in the more upscale areas of L.A. and Orange counties.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:54 AM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
In my opinion, the personality of Phoenix is noticeably more antisocial than the personality of L.A. On average, people in Los Angeles are friendlier and more nonchalant than people in Phoenix, which means L.A. residents are often chattier and more approachable than Phoenix residents. This is especially true in Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Long Beach and Lakewood. As a result of this regional characteristic, I have had a much easier time meeting new people and building meaningful, long-lasting, mutually dependable friendships in L.A. People in Phoenix are constantly filtering in and out, similar to a revolving door, so most friendships are shallow and do not last for more than a couple of years. I believe the transient character of Phoenix is especially challenging for children. Many of the people I know who grew up in Phoenix have odd family backgrounds that include chronic divorce and remarriage, prison sentences, alcoholism and substance abuse, homelessness and food insecurity, deportation, etc. All of these factors make those individuals poorly adjusted from a social perspective. And unfortunately, low-class people live all over the Phoenix metropolitan area due to relatively affordable real estate costs, which means it is harder to insulate yourself from people with major problems than in the more upscale areas of L.A. and Orange counties.
Sure Phoenix is somewhat transient and affordable, but becoming pricier, yet remaining obviously cheaper than L.A. As a result, it's drawing primarily a lot of the middle-class residents who are being priced out of CA - according to you, I guess the ones who aren't chatty and approachable, but antisocial...lol. Also, the majority of those Californians coming to metro Phoenix are lacking in higher education degrees.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ifornians.html

Old 03-06-2020, 09:12 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Sure Phoenix is somewhat transient and affordable, but becoming pricier, yet remaining obviously cheaper than L.A. As a result, it's drawing primarily a lot of the middle-class residents who are being priced out of CA - according to you, I guess the ones who aren't chatty and approachable, but antisocial...lol. Also, the majority of those Californians coming to metro Phoenix are lacking in higher education degrees.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ifornians.html
Yes, you are correct. And regretfully, many of those low-class, poorly educated Californians from places such as Bakersfield, Riverside and San Bernardino, for example, are moving to upscale areas of the Phoenix metropolitan area (e.g., Chandler, Gilbert, Scottsdale, etc.) because they can afford to, given the super inflated real estate prices throughout much of California, even in the non-desirable areas of the Central Valley and Inland Empire. The people I am describing cannot afford to live in Irvine, Newport Beach or Rancho Palos Verdes, so if you live in one of those places, you can easily avoid them. Sadly, that is and has never been the case in Phoenix.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:30 AM

345 posts, read 810,335 times
what does phoenix have over LA other than cost of living and better traffic? that's pretty much it

Old 03-08-2020, 08:04 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
This comparison always makes me chuckle, many posters in LA talk down on Phoenix yet it is what is due in large part from LA transplants moving to Phoenix non-stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
what does phoenix have over LA other than cost of living and better traffic? that's pretty much it
This is stated so casually, these two combined eliminate your opportunity to enjoy most of the amenities in a world class city. Take that away your disposable income and free time because you're stuck in traffic then you find yourself asking, why be in LA?

Phoenix has less air pollution, less access restrictions for outdoor activities such as mountain biking (https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-tra...es-california/) and there's still a decent amount of open space in the metro area where you can get away from people without having to go very far... a benefit I once took for granted until I didn't have it.

If we were comparing Phoenix of 1980 versus LA then there's a huge gap, today Phoenix is growing more vibrant by the minute with the likes of Meow Wolf opening in the downtown area, having hosted one of the largest art walks for years now, all 4 major pro sports, great museums and a much more diverse economy. Only 1 city in the country tops LA for amenities but Phoenix life isn't comparable to Yuma or something to that effect as some comments would lead you to believe. With 5 million permanent population and 100s of thousands more here all winter long there's more to do then you can ever fit in your schedule.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:52 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
Phoenix doesn't have to deal with the nanny state govt like LA does. Of course it's gonna be a better place to live.

Old 03-08-2020, 02:05 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
I think if you're earning a middle class income, almost anywhere is better than L.A.. On the other hand, if you can afford it, L.A.'s the place.

Old 03-08-2020, 02:23 PM

293 posts, read 245,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
Well, those are probably two of the most important factors between having a miserable or a pleasant life.

What's the point of living in a city full of amenities if it takes you two hours or more to get anywhere and you can't afford decent housing?

Old 03-08-2020, 02:58 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAROD View Post
Well, those are probably two of the most important factors between having a miserable or a pleasant life.

What's the point of living in a city full of amenities if it takes you two hours or more to get anywhere and you can't afford decent housing?
I live in LA and if it took me 2hrs to get anywhere I would live here either. That statement is just untrue for many of us and I'm far from rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City