Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Faster paced metro area?
San Fran/Silicon Valley 26 35.14%
D.C./NOVA/Maryland suburbs 48 64.86%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 10:27 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
That is not true. I have been to Hong Kong seven times; it's one of the fastest paced cities in the world. And yet I'll say that Silicon Valley can come close in terms of working hours, how status-obsessed it is.

I think people are looking at Silicon Valley, and saying, "Oh, it's suburban. Not very crowded at all. Must be more laidback than Manhattan, Wall Street's hustle and bustle, pedestrian traffic." BUT remember high tech is THE fastest changing, most competitive industry on the planet, and Silicon Valley is the center of it. People in high tech work longer hours, face more competition than any other industry. And by and large Silicon Valley has a larger tech sector than D.C.
Austin is High tech. Doesn’t mean it’s fast paced. I work in tech. Have worked for four or five tech companies. We work but u wouldn’t say it’s fast paced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 07:22 PM

11,790 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Significantly better than LA? Hmmm... don't know about that. Do you think LA driving is fairly pleasant?
wut? I never said this.

As for driving in LA, I think the traffic there is overrated. It wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either. It largely depended on where you were going and often times I was going against the flow of traffic so that had an impact. Note that as a visitor I have the ability to not drive during commute hours, so that also had an impact...but outside of commute hours in either city, I didn't see anything that stood out from anywhere USA in terms of traffic in major cities. I would say overall LA is worse than SF though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Austin is High tech. Doesn’t mean it’s fast paced. I work in tech. Have worked for four or five tech companies. We work but u wouldn’t say it’s fast paced.
This... and I personally very much enjoy this, as I can work remotely 5 days a week without having to go in the office, deal with traffic.

Innovative does NOT equal fast paced.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:46 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Has anybody ever sat back that thought to themselves that being a fast paced city isn't necessarily a good thing? We're talking about people rush to get to a job, spending long hours at that job to make somebody else rich. The CEOs of these places that people rush to work for aren't the ones rushing. Innovators aren't rushing.

I gotta get out of this Worker Bee culture ASAP.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:50 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
D.C IMO. The Bay area outside of downtown SF is actually somewhat laid back. Especially far East bay and north of SF near the coast.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:06 PM

11,790 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Has anybody ever sat back that thought to themselves that being a fast paced city isn't necessarily a good thing? We're talking about people rush to get to a job, spending long hours at that job to make somebody else rich. The CEOs of these places that people rush to work for aren't the ones rushing. Innovators aren't rushing.

Yes. and fast pace does not always equal more productive either.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:07 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
wut? I never said this.

As for driving in LA, I think the traffic there is overrated. It wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either. It largely depended on where you were going and often times I was going against the flow of traffic so that had an impact.
Either that or you must have been driving in the carpool lane.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:09 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
D.C IMO. The Bay area outside of downtown SF is actually somewhat laid back. Especially far East bay and north of SF near the coast.
Marin County would be kind of like Manassas; kind of semi-rural. I could make a similar case that Manassas is laid back and bucolic.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:30 AM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Fast pace is baked into the very essence of tech. It’s always who is going to be faster to produce a faster product? Faster processors, faster frame rates, etc. It’s an innate part of tech.

And I think unless you’re really at the top reaches of government, there’s not a sense of urgency. So, I hand it to Silicon Valley for this one.

As others have mentioned, no, that pace isn’t always good. It’ll wear on you.

Old 03-06-2020, 07:36 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
I have a buddy who moved to the Bay Area from Atlanta a couple years back. He had this as his FB status this morning and I thought about this thread and chuckled:

"The Bay Area really be moving waaaaay too slow for me sometimes. Like if y'all don't put them edibles and coke bumps down so we can handle business. Whew."

Old 03-06-2020, 09:26 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post

Nobody is saying it’s a good or bad thing. It just is. Same with the southern thing. Idk why people think it’s bad to be southern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City