Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Faster paced metro area?
San Fran/Silicon Valley 26 35.14%
D.C./NOVA/Maryland suburbs 48 64.86%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 06:38 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I wonder if greater public transit ridership results in more people being in a hurry. My guess is that you see a lot of people full out running in NYC not because they're impatient (or even late), but because they have to take the subway to a transfer point and take commuter rail, a ferry, etc. A 5 minute subway delay could mean the difference between getting home at 7pm or 7:35 pm.

Perhaps drivers feel they have more control over their schedule and don't feel compelled to sprint from their office buildings to the parking garage.
I tend to agree. Every city has bad traffic congestion in and around their major business districts, but not all have rail stations every couple of blocks in the core of the city that serve as major access points for scores of pedestrians that consistently fill urban sidewalks for 12 hours of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 06:41 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I gotta get out of this Worker Bee culture ASAP.
Try out one of Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, or Phoenix.

I could see any of those working out for you if you ever decide to leave Baltimore for somewhere else.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I agree with what you're saying, but I don't see that worker bee, rush, rush mentality as a quality that makes a city/region better than the other from a functional standpoint. However, they are necessary.
I agree that a faster pace isn't some inherently better quality of a city, but I can kinda see how some might imply that given the connection it has with mass transit.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:56 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Try out one of Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, or Phoenix.

I could see any of those working out for you if you ever decide to leave Baltimore for somewhere else.
I can't wait to get out of Baltimore. Time for me to try living in a different environment.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:59 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I wonder if greater public transit ridership results in more people being in a hurry. My guess is that you see a lot of people full out running in NYC not because they're impatient (or even late), but because they have to take the subway to a transfer point and take commuter rail, a ferry, etc. A 5 minute subway delay could mean the difference between getting home at 7pm or 7:35 pm.

Perhaps drivers feel they have more control over their schedule and don't feel compelled to sprint from their office buildings to the parking garage.
I think that's part of it. It's people walking with a purpose as opposed to being tourists or walking for recreational activities. I've also found that people from cold weather places tend to walk faster in general.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:28 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
I agree with what you're saying, but I don't see that worker bee, rush, rush mentality as a quality that makes a city/region better than the other from a functional standpoint. However, they are necessary.
Nobody says it’s better. It’s just an opinion. Same with the southern thing. Everyone is all insulted when you say their city is southern. It’s not an insult

Old 03-07-2020, 08:37 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,418,592 times
I wouldn't consider DMV fastpaced but I'll never been to the Bay. I assume SF is a West Coast Manhattan so i guess SF.

EDIT: many of the opinions here seem completed based off of stereotypes rather than any logical metric/data.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:01 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Nobody says it’s better. It’s just an opinion. Same with the southern thing. Everyone is all insulted when you say their city is southern. It’s not an insult
I think people get offended because of the intent of someone calling their city southern. People on city data tend to call cities southern as an insult; like that City is beneath their city. What Southerners in C-D should stop doing is acting like victims. What northerners should stop doing is living in the past, and stop it with the double standards. People will say things like "Miami isn't southern because there is a HUGE Latin element," or "that City isn't southern because northerners are moving there." Why aren't northern cities with huge Latin populations less northern? Why didn't the Great Migration make northern cities less northern? The South is the most sought after region in the country right now, which the majority of the fastest growing cities in the country. Be proud to be a southerner... hell, I've been saying Baltimore is the South for some years now, and people want to argue with me about that.

Old 03-09-2020, 07:22 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,429 times
The lines are so long and slow at the DMV. Never fast paced. I just need to get my plates and registration.

No really, DMV seems faster paced than SV

Old 03-09-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
People will say things like "Miami isn't southern because there is a HUGE Latin element," or "that City isn't southern because northerners are moving there." Why aren't northern cities with huge Latin populations less northern? Why didn't the Great Migration make northern cities less northern?
Because Northern cities were destinations for immigrants and Black folks from the very beginning as they themselves were centers of industry with a high demand for labor. The South was more agrarian and heavily relied on slavery which was concentrated in the countryside and thus the region had very little need for big cities and the few that did exist were looked upon rather suspiciously by Southern aristocrats and were even described as being Northern in character. Outside of New Orleans and the large peripheral cities in slave states (e.g., Baltimore, St. Louis, Louisville), immigration to Southern cities was pretty short-lived in the late 18th/early 19th century compared to Northern cities and after the Civil War, there weren't really many economic opportunities in the region for immigrants to take advantage of. By and large, the South only started getting large waves of domestic transplants and immigrants (i.e., outsiders) after Jim Crow was struck down by the passage of landmark civil rights legislation and immigration reform took place in the 1960's. Large-scale regional, racial, and ethnic diversity has been a feature of Northern cities for much, much longer compared to the South which mostly operated as a closed society based on a rigid binary racial hierarchy for most of its history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City