Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 09:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
This certainly doesn't make Seattle more attractive for living, though. I love Seattle, but it's way over-priced. Homeless population reflects that.
No, unless you are making at least $150k, with a working spouse. My city east of Seattle is even more expensive but we bought our house in 1993, so our mortgage nearly paid off was less than 1/4 of the current value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 09:52 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
There was another thread, about Houston being more expensive than.....fill in the blank. Don't believe everything that you read...I don't. There is nothing about Houston, that would cause it to be one of the most expensive cities in the country. I would add, with all of the flooding problems Houston has had...I would think that would make it less expensive. Hasn't happened for a couple of years, but one does not forget these things. Nor, has there been a fix.
Man has had a couple more floods after Harvey. One pretty big one happen just last year. With that said I don’t know if the flooding has anything to do with home prices unless you live in a area highly vulnerable to flooding( near bayous/reservoirs,etc.). Home prices have continued to go up despite more flooding. Still Houston is nowhere close as expensive as Seattle.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:59 AM

955 posts, read 611,163 times
Minneapolis more expensive than SF?

Cleveland more expensive than Toronto???

Pittsburgh more expensive than Boston???????

The Economist should be a reputable source but what is going on with this list???

Old 03-13-2020, 10:25 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, unless you are making at least $150k, with a working spouse. My city east of Seattle is even more expensive but we bought our house in 1993, so our mortgage nearly paid off was less than 1/4 of the current value.
You can certainly live comfortably in Seattle on a $150k salary. Its not Paris...

I have friends who live along in Manhattan (in a small apartment) making $150k.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:37 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
It makes some sense if it’s normalizing the costs based on local salaries. For example SF is more expensive than LA by quite a bit but the average salaries in SF are also much higher. So if you have some random job it may actually be easier to live in SF and make ends meet than it would be to have that same job in LA and make ends meet.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:43 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
It makes some sense if it’s normalizing the costs based on local salaries. For example SF is more expensive than LA by quite a bit but the average salaries in SF are also much higher. So if you have some random job it may actually be easier to live in SF and make ends meet than it would be to have that same job in LA and make ends meet.
I think, eventually, SF will start losing people to more affordable cities. Probably not long-term sustainable (if the streets are any indication).

Old 03-13-2020, 10:49 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
The Economist has come up with its list of most expensive cities in the world. It has ranked Houston as one of the most expensive U.S. cities (#, ahead of Seattle. It's also ranked San Francisco as cheaper than L.A.

I'm very surprised at how Houston was ranked as more expensive than Seattle. Could anyone care to explain?

https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...expensive-city

Here's the North America breakdown. The number on the left is the worldwide rank. For instance, NYC's number is 13, meaning it's the 13th most expensive city in the world.

13 NYC
14 LA
26 MSP
37 DC
37 SF
41 Chicago tied with Houston
46 Seattle
50 Pittsburgh
53 Honolulu
56 Boston
59 Miami tied with Montreal
66 Lexington, KY
75 Detroit
77 Atlanta
86 Toronto

I had no idea that Toronto was cheaper than Houston and Atlanta. How could this be?
Pittsburgh, Chicago/Houston, and MSP are cheaper than Boston and Honolulu? Good to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2020, 11:09 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Where’s the op?

Old 03-13-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
There was another thread, about Houston being more expensive than.....fill in the blank. Don't believe everything that you read...I don't. There is nothing about Houston, that would cause it to be one of the most expensive cities in the country. I would add, with all of the flooding problems Houston has had...I would think that would make it less expensive. Hasn't happened for a couple of years, but one does not forget these things. Nor, has there been a fix.
Yep pure Texan hubris

Old 03-13-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
This certainly doesn't make Seattle more attractive for living, though. I love Seattle, but it's way over-priced. Homeless population reflects that.
Part of the south’s attractiveness is col. Idk why that upsets them but affordability is a good thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City