Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Nashville 80 46.51%
Cincinnati 92 53.49%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 03:20 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times

Advertisements

Cincinnati has nothing like Williamson County. I was astounded by the level of affluence. Exotic car dealerships. High end retailers. Plantation style mansions all over the place. It’s like a nicer version of the affluent North Atlanta burbs. I’d have no problem living in Franklin walkable to the town center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 05:18 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
I did post back in March, but didn't rank in the given categories:

COL - Cincinnati
Economy - Nashville
Climate - Nashville
Crime - Cincinnati
Education - Nashville (colleges), Cincinnati (k-12)
Food/Cuisine - Tie
Housing - Cincinnati (prices), Nashville (quality of stock)
Transportation - Cincinnati
Livability - Tie
Culture - NA
Location - Cincinnati
Shopping - Nashville
Sports - Cincinnati
Things to Do - Cincinnati
Scenery - Tie
Outdoor Activities - Tie
Better Future/Potential - Nashville

These are 2 of my favorite metro areas in America in which to live. But I'd have to give a slight edge to Cincinnati. Cincinnati's lower cost of living and having more to do overall recreationally tips the scales for me. But I could live in either of these metros and be happy.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:42 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Cincinnati has nothing like Williamson County. I was astounded by the level of affluence. Exotic car dealerships. High end retailers. Plantation style mansions all over the place. It’s like a nicer version of the affluent North Atlanta burbs. I’d have no problem living in Franklin walkable to the town center.
Yeah. Cincy doesn’t have the same level of wealth. It’s an underrated city. However Nashville is a tier above IMO. Will be interesting to see how these two fair next week

Old 01-17-2022, 09:44 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
These are 2 great metros!

Nashville is booming currently and should leap tiers in the next decade or two, from where Cincinnati is.

However, as it stands today in 2022, they are pretty comparable, overall.

Both cities have 3 pro sports teams:
Nashville has NFL, MLS and NHL; while Cincinnati has NFL, MLB and MLS.

Both cities have fairly close metro area populations, with Cincinnati about 200k larger or so overall. However, if you include Clarksville, TN with Nashville, about 45 min away, it places Nashville's metro a bit higher than Cincy's.
Cincinnati metro: 2.232 million
Nashville metro: 2 million

I love both city downtowns, but Cincinnati is a bit more established and has better infrastructure.

I think in a couple of decades, Nashville's metro area will be around 2.6 million or so, and its downtown area will be comparable to the Denver's, Minneapolis's, and Pittsburgh's of the world.

Right now, though, both cities are highly similar.

Go Titans!

Old 01-17-2022, 10:11 AM

51 posts, read 41,728 times
Nashville if you're rich and don't mind transplants, otherwise Cincinnati.

Old 01-17-2022, 11:14 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,384 times
Cincy. Nashville is overpriced, getting populated and the weather down there is worse. Affluent doesn't 100% mean better.

Old 01-17-2022, 01:24 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Cincy. Nashville is overpriced, getting populated and the weather down there is worse. Affluent doesn't 100% mean better.
The market reflects Nashville's housing prices. There is not enough inventory (even in the pipeline) to bring them down. Job growth between the two metros are not comparable. Attracting new industries while exploiting the success of those already in place put Nashville in a better position, economically. While I agree affluence does not make one place better, it does explain why some cities continue to prosper while others bleed. On weather, Nashville is more flood and tornado prone, these are exceptions as Nashville experiences milder winters and warmer summers overall. Cincinnati, like other great lakes region cities can have devastatingly cold winters and shorter warm months. Nashville's weather can be extreme at times. The city literally reached almost 80 degrees with tornado warnings and 20s with forecasted snow the next day.

Old 01-17-2022, 06:01 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
The market reflects Nashville's housing prices. There is not enough inventory (even in the pipeline) to bring them down. Job growth between the two metros are not comparable. Attracting new industries while exploiting the success of those already in place put Nashville in a better position, economically. While I agree affluence does not make one place better, it does explain why some cities continue to prosper while others bleed. On weather, Nashville is more flood and tornado prone, these are exceptions as Nashville experiences milder winters and warmer summers overall. Cincinnati, like other great lakes region cities can have devastatingly cold winters and shorter warm months. Nashville's weather can be extreme at times. The city literally reached almost 80 degrees with tornado warnings and 20s with forecasted snow the next day.
Cincy isn't near the Great Lakes. You're thinking of Cleveland which has been dealing with mild winters for about a decade. Devastatingly cold? It's gonna be in the 40s for the next 2 days. Cincy's summers are hot and humid from Memorial Day til Labor Day.

I wasn't talking about job growth. But speaking of jobs, in my field I can easily find more work in the Cincy area vs Nashville while earning a higher wage in the same position. Even with the income taxes I'll come out ahead.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:10 PM

503 posts, read 799,724 times
Never been to Nashville but I think I'd like it better. Cincy is a nice city and offers a lot but it feels a bit stagnant. I prefer a city that's booming.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:36 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Cincy isn't near the Great Lakes. You're thinking of Cleveland which has been dealing with mild winters for about a decade. Devastatingly cold? It's gonna be in the 40s for the next 2 days. Cincy's summers are hot and humid from Memorial Day til Labor Day.
No, I am not confused. Cincinnati is in the Great Lakes region. Cities in this region are not all located on a lake.

https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org...(North_America)

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...2032%20%C2%B0F.

Quote:
I wasn't talking about job growth. But speaking of jobs, in my field I can easily find more work in the Cincy area vs Nashville while earning a higher wage in the same position. Even with the income taxes I'll come out ahead.
This may be true for you, but not for everyone. Nashville has a better economy and higher salary growth. There are more factors to quality of life than simply making more money. Some consider racial diversity, access to healthcare, and job stability as important determinants of the measurement. Nashville has a lower unemployment rate and higher median incomes.

https://fox17.com/news/local/nashvil...t-jobs-phoenix

https://local12.com/news/local/segre...ldhood-poverty

https://www.tn.gov/generalservices/a...usinesses.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City