Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 07:25 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
When I see Cambridge, I feel this becomes of another NYC vs Boston. Let's be honest, fairfield county is part of
NYC metro area, and tons of residents commute on Metro North and work in Manhattan.

The only place that is comparable to Cambridge is New Haven county where Yale sit. Fairfield county is bit too small compared to the MA Middlesex county. My gut feeling is that New Haven county + fairfield county together the population should be close to middlesex county.
They roughly same size in area land mass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 07:33 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
When I see Cambridge, I feel this becomes of another NYC vs Boston. Let's be honest, fairfield county is part of NYC metro area, and tons of residents commute on Metro North and work in Manhattan.

The only place that is comparable to Cambridge is New Haven county where Yale sit. Fairfield county is bit too small compared to the MA Middlesex county. My gut feeling is that New Haven county + fairfield county together the population should be close to middlesex county.
The problem with this logic is that Cambridge’s relationship to Boston is not at all similar to New Haven’s or even Greenwich’s relationship to NYC. For all intents and purposes, a good chunk of Middlesex County should be Boston. It’s just that NYC and Boston had very different experiences when it came to annexing their neighbors.

Nowhere in Fairfield County or New Haven County is comparable to southeastern Middlesex County.

To put it another way: Middlesex County outside of 128 is more similar to Fairfield County. The problem there is that Middlesex-Outside-128 doesn’t really have the large cities that Fairfield does: only Framingham and Lowell, both of which are comparable to Norwalk or Danbury but not to Stamford. At the same time, it doesn’t have anything as bad as Bridgeport. Lowell is the closest.

Edit: After reviewing the data, Lowell seems closer to Bridgeport than to Norwalk or Danbury. Those latter 2 are much more like Framingham.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 04-06-2020 at 07:59 PM..

Old 04-06-2020, 08:00 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
The problem with this logic is that Cambridge’s relationship to Boston is not at all similar to New Haven’s or even Greenwich’s relationship to NYC. For all intents and purposes, a good chunk of Middlesex County should be Boston. It’s just that NYC and Boston had very different experiences when it came to annexing their neighbors.

Nowhere in Fairfield County or New Haven County is comparable to southeastern Middlesex County.

To put it another way: Middlesex County outside of 128 is more similar to Fairfield County. The problem there is that Middlesex-Outside-128 doesn’t really have the large cities that Fairfield does: only Framingham and Lowell, both of which are comparable to Norwalk or Danbury but not to Stamford. At the same time, it doesn’t have anything as bad as Bridgeport. Lowell is the closest.

Edit: After reviewing the data, Lowell seems closer to Bridgeport than to Norwalk or Danbury. Those latter 2 are much more like Framingham.
^^^^

I think Plymouth County MA might be a better comparison. Some nice burbs, some icky towns, generally equally desirable.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I think Plymouth County MA might be a better comparison. Some nice burbs, some icky towns, generally equally desirable.
I was actually thinking Norfolk? The only issue is that while it has the rich suburbs, it doesn’t have many large cities. :\

Or maybe Essex with Bridgeport being like Lawrence and Haverhill and the others being like Boxford, Topsfield, Manchester-by-the-sea, etc.?

Old 04-06-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I was actually thinking Norfolk? The only issue is that while it has the rich suburbs, it doesn’t have many large cities. :\
Yeah it lacks Stanfords/Bridgeport's, etc ... but a good answer to Greenwich/Darien is Scituate/Cohasset/Hingham/Duxbury. But im more thinking of desirability. Middlesex has a lot more desirability than Fairfield CT generally.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:09 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah it lacks Stanfords/Bridgeport's, etc ... but a good answer to Greenwich/Darien is Scituate/Cohasset/Hingham/Duxbury. But im more thinking of desirability. Middlesex has a lot more desirability than Fairfield CT generally.
I think Darien, New Canaan, Westport much more wealthier than those towns

Old 04-06-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
They are but Ive been to both areas... and the natural beauty in the Dux-Hingham-Marsh-Cohas-Scituate area is much more impressive.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Yeah, based on per-capita income Darien and New Canaan are more similar to Weston than any Essex, Plymouth, or Norfolk towns. I guess the moral of the story here is that no MA county really lines up well with Fairfield.

Edit: I might be willing to admit that Fairfield beats Middlesex-outside-128 if that means anything.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 04-06-2020 at 08:22 PM..

Old 04-06-2020, 08:18 PM

712 posts, read 542,637 times
Quote:
Yeah, based on per-capita income Darien and New Canaan are more similar to Weston than any Essex, Plymouth, or Norfolk towns. I guess the moral of the story here is that no MA county really lines up well with Fairfield.
fairfield county is quite unique in CT or even in USA. Nothing is like that to the extreme. Greenwich is very a much a town for billionaires, now you get another city within same county Bridgeport, which for closest comparison in MA is Springfield. I do not know enough of Lowell vs Springfield, similar or worse or better, you get the idea.

Now another unique city Stamford within fairfield county, the biggest city in CT on GDP, the No 1 city economically in CT, the closest comparison should be Jersey City, or Hoboken, NJ, not sure any MA city is similar to that.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:24 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
. As you drive north through Massachusetts, you observe more "New Hampshire trees," which is how I referred to coniferous trees in childhood. In my opinion, the tall coniferous trees of northern Massachusetts are less attractive than the broad-leaf deciduous trees you observe in coastal southern New England as well as the coastal pines of the Outer Lands.
I for one love the tall white pines of northern Mass. They’re a beautiful tree in any season. It’s not as though Mass has a shortage of broadleaf trees either, but in fall it’s partly the combination of the turning colors of the broadleafs against the green of pine and hemlock that makes the fall colors what they are. In winter, without those white pines you’d have a lot of gray, leafless bark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
the fully rhotic American English accent that is indigenous to western Connecticut is much more euphonious than the fully non-rhotic accent of the Greater Boston area. The Eastern New England accents not only unpleasant-sounding, they are also relatively difficult for the average American to understand.
Come on, Bert. You write as if that’s some sort of intersubjective truth rather than personal opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City