Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 01:32 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
When I lived in DC living in close proximity to other cities was not that big of a deal. I went to NYC the most. The cities back east are definitely closer together. But do I find myself traveling less now that I'm on the west coast? Not at all. I hear people talking about driving to Philadelphia and NY. Who does that? Driving 3-4 hrs to NY is not fun. Now that I live in LA , I just fly to San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver, Vegas and the Mexico vacation spots.
My friends and I often go between the cities. Nobody is driving. We live in NYC and regularly visit friends/families in Boston, Philly, Baltimore, and DC via Amtrak. I visited my grandparents in Upstate NY via Amtrak before they also ended up moving to Philly. Before this pandemic, I visited Lancaster PA on Amtrak for a night with a friend. I visit Philly once every month or so via Amtrak. I had a vacation planned to Hudson NY via Amtrak this summer. Had a trip to Asbury Park planned via NJT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 02:05 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
My friends and I often go between the cities. Nobody is driving. We live in NYC and regularly visit friends/families in Boston, Philly, Baltimore, and DC via Amtrak. I visited my grandparents in Upstate NY via Amtrak before they also ended up moving to Philly. Before this pandemic, I visited Lancaster PA on Amtrak for a night with a friend. I visit Philly once every month or so via Amtrak. I had a vacation planned to Hudson NY via Amtrak this summer. Had a trip to Asbury Park planned via NJT.
The bold applies to you and your friends. Now I would be the same as you. The great thing about most of those cities is that you don't need a car at your destination. But many, likely most people with families drive between cities as it tends to be cheaper.

Old 05-16-2020, 02:11 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
The bold applies to you and your friends. Now I would be the same as you. The great thing about most of those cities is that you don't need a car at your destination. But many, likely most people with families drive between cities as it tends to be cheaper.
Yeah that's what I meant by that. None of my friends are driving between the cities. So the traffic issues of NYC are irrelevant. There are plenty of people traveling by train between the major Northeast cities. Obviously not everyone is doing that. But I guarantee people around here are more regularly going between other cities than CA. The only place for SF to easily drive to is Sac or Reno (which don't compare to any of the Northeast cities). A longer trip from SF gets you to LA. But that's a much further and longer drive full of nothingness than anything in the Northeast.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:18 PM

3 posts, read 3,441 times
Thank you all for your insights. I actually do live in Metro DC but I am a government contractor so the areas that I do go to have to be chains due to security concerns. Also, I have to drive throughout the DMV so that's where commuting can be a drag. Sorry if I did not mention this originally. Nonetheless, thank you for you insights and while I got the job in SFO I had to stay in DC due to the pandemic so hopefully I can actually go there soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City