Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 04:58 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times

Advertisements

Inspired by this comment made by projectmaximus in another thread:

Thoughts on objectively measuring this characteristic across metro areas? I am hoping to find absolute measurable data rather than relying on feel/vibe.

Density?
Walkability and transit access?
Vibrancy (and how is that measured)?
Sports?
Arts and Culture?
Business infrastructure and/or Fortune 1000s?
Skyline?

Just curious what factors matter most and how to measure them. I'll add that in the case of density and walkability, in my opinion this would only be measured in the neighborhoods with the highest of each. How dense or walkable the entire region is doesn't matter at all vs the primary areas where one would be seeking a big city environment.

We talk about residential density here and how that plays into urbanity, so I went and researched the most dense tracts in all of our 10 major cities. This is what I came up with:

•NY---->peak density ~260.6 ppsm, followed by a number of 100k+ tracts
•SF---->peak density ~151.5 ppsm, followed by a number of 80-100 tracts
•Chi---->peak density ~264 ppsm, followed by one tract over 100k and a number of 70-80 tracts
•LA---->peak density ~98.2 ppsm, followed by a number of 70-80 tracts
•Bos---->peak density ~98.9 ppsm, followed by a number of 70-80 tracts
•Philly---->peak density ~82.5 ppsm, followed by a number of 40-50 tracts
•DC---->peak density ~64.9 ppsm, followed by one more 60k tract and a number of 40-50 tracts
•Hou---->peak density ~61.1 ppsm, followed by a number of 20-30 tracts
•Dal---->peak density ~41.6 ppsm, followed by a number of 20-30 tracts
•Atl---->peak density ~25, followed by a number of 10-20 tracts

Undisputedly, all of these are major cities. To PM's point, all cities are not equally densely built or inhabited, so is there a minimum threshold of what makes a city feel large? If so, that threshold would have to be low as a couple of our major cities don't have particularly high densities; either that, or is there a criteria that factors greater into urbanity besides density once a city reaches a certain population?

Lettuce discuss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 05:02 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
One thing that is interesting to consider to me is that the actual residential density of these neighborhoods isnt quite as important as other factors. You know when you're in a really populated area, but the functions of the neighborhood may play a larger role in the "bigness" of how the area appears...

Old 05-04-2020, 05:18 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
This is great, but I think daytime population for cities plays a big role here. I mean most if not all of them gain population in the work week, but some stand out way more than others.

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...ed-about/5747/

For example Washington sees almost an 80% population increase in commuters during the work week within 61 sq miles.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/quadrenn...Population.pdf

Old 05-04-2020, 05:27 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
How about percent of curbspace that’s parking? Either lots or unpodiumed garages?

Old 05-04-2020, 05:31 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This is great, but I think daytime population for cities plays a big role here. I mean most if not all of them gain population in the work week, but some stand out way more than others.

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...ed-about/5747/

For example Washington sees almost an 80% population increase in commuters during the work week within 61 sq miles.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/quadrenn...Population.pdf
Structurally a commuter doesn’t impact the city as much as a resident. Not only do they not frequent local buisness’s as much but an office worker probably takes up 1/10th or less the space as a resident.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:10 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Structurally a commuter doesn’t impact the city as much as a resident. Not only do they not frequent local buisness’s as much but an office worker probably takes up 1/10th or less the space as a resident.
Yes, but these were some of the OP criteria:

Density?
Sports?
Arts and Culture?

Many of these are shaped by residents of a metro region that daily impact how dense or vibrant a city is during the work day. Most major cities the work day truly is about 12 hrs of impact on the city itself.

This is even the case in Manhattan. I've been in Midtown all times of day or night. The morning and evening rush there makes it feel even more infinitely vibrant than it already is.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:09 PM

1,051 posts, read 796,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Inspired by this comment made by projectmaximus in another thread:

Thoughts on objectively measuring this characteristic across metro areas? I am hoping to find absolute measurable data rather than relying on feel/vibe.

Density?
Sports?
Arts and Culture?
Business infrastructure and/or Fortune 1000s?
Skyline?

Just curious what factors matter most and how to measure them. I'll add that in the case of density and walkability, in my opinion this would only be measured in the neighborhoods with the highest of each. How dense or walkable the entire region is doesn't matter at all vs the primary areas where one would be seeking a big city environment.

Speed of virus transmission............

Old 05-04-2020, 07:44 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,588 times
I think walkability is one of the very most important factors. A place that is walkable and/or has really good public transit usually feels vibrant and urban to me. Arts, culture, and sports are icing on the cake. For me, the skyline is much less important.

A few examples: DC has a very low skyline, nothing special, not even close to the top 25 skylines in the US, but is absolutely a top 10 urban experience. On the other hand, some place like Dallas has a decent skyline, but does not (to me) feel particularly urban or vibrant. New Orleans is a relatively small city/metro, but absolutely feels urban and vibrant in the CBD and Quarter without a great skyline because it is relatively dense and walkable.

It isn't a perfect measure, but Walkscore is a pretty good proxy. You can argue with the order, but the large cities with the top eight walkscores are New York, San Francisco, Boston, Philly, Miami, Chicago, DC, and Seattle. That's a pretty solid list of *most* of the cities in the US that feel the most urban and vibrant. Miami is a little higher than I would expect, but again, to just take one metric, that is pretty good.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:16 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I think walkability is one of the very most important factors. A place that is walkable and/or has really good public transit usually feels vibrant and urban to me. Arts, culture, and sports are icing on the cake. For me, the skyline is much less important.

A few examples: DC has a very low skyline, nothing special, not even close to the top 25 skylines in the US, but is absolutely a top 10 urban experience. On the other hand, some place like Dallas has a decent skyline, but does not (to me) feel particularly urban or vibrant. New Orleans is a relatively small city/metro, but absolutely feels urban and vibrant in the CBD and Quarter without a great skyline because it is relatively dense and walkable.

It isn't a perfect measure, but Walkscore is a pretty good proxy. You can argue with the order, but the large cities with the top eight walkscores are New York, San Francisco, Boston, Philly, Miami, Chicago, DC, and Seattle. That's a pretty solid list of *most* of the cities in the US that feel the most urban and vibrant. Miami is a little higher than I would expect, but again, to just take one metric, that is pretty good.
The walkscores main flaw is that a city’s score is averaged over the entire city, so cities with small boundaries like Miami end up coming out far better than is realistic compared to the urban, walkable expanse of other cities. A rough proxy for comparison then is to take neighborhood boundaries for the core city and possibly surrounding cities above a certain threshold walkscore and compare the population living above that threshold. That gives you a pretty decent ranking of the relative walkability of different cities and metropolitan areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City