Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 02:08 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
So what's the benefit to having a high response rate anyway? Doesn't Census just make a guess for the 40% who don't respond?

It's not like the population totals are equal to the sum of responses.
Funding...The government uses the information for funding purposes in terms of resources for a neighborhood or community. So, it is very important to respond to the Census, especially if your neighborhood needs more resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 05:31 PM

509 posts, read 433,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Funding...The government uses the information for funding purposes in terms of resources for a neighborhood or community. So, it is very important to respond to the Census, especially if your neighborhood needs more resources.
Yes, this is why it's important to have an accurate count, especially at the Census Tract level. I believe retailers and certain types of services analyze Census Tract population and socio-economic data from each updated Census count when determining how much to invest in varying levels of retail/services for the local population. Grocery stores, pharmacies, name-brand clothing stores, and higher levels of retail will usually wait until a Census Tract has grown in population and median income before deciding to move into a Census Tract with high enough population density to support it. It can also lead to retailers pulling out if the population has shown decline at the Tract level.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:37 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Slight misconception.

Lotta immigrants and still has a large non-intellectual working class population. Fairly high poverty rate. Cambridge would probably be much higher. Also lot of multi family units and people who move around a lot.
Very valid point. Boston actually has a poverty rate of over 20% and a very high working class population, much higher than most people would ever think.

Obviously Boston has its fair share of wealthy educated people, but its odd to read shocked comments regarding Boston not painted in a uniformly Utopian light.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:37 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Very valid point. Boston actually has a poverty rate of over 20% and a very high working class population, much higher than most people would ever think.

Obviously Boston has its fair share of wealthy educated people, but its odd to read shocked comments regarding Boston not painted in a uniformly Utopian light.
It is?

Looking at this chart it doesn't seem so but maybe this isn't the same thing?

I would say Boston's right there with SF Bay Area in terms of intellectuals. I think the Census though is probably one of the last things on peoples minds even with all the extra time given the current situation.

Last edited by Lucky Clover; 05-08-2020 at 11:08 PM..

Old 05-09-2020, 07:18 AM

509 posts, read 433,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
It is?

I would say Boston's right there with SF Bay Area in terms of intellectuals. I think the Census though is probably one of the last things on peoples minds even with all the extra time given the current situation.
Sorry, off topic here, but wow what's up with that jump in poverty in San Antonio in 2018 which already has one of the worst rates in the US?? Nice graphic, thanks for posting.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:15 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
It is?

I was referring to Boston city proper. Metro areas generally have a much lower poverty rate.

For example, Boston City ~20% poverty rate, metro area ~10%

But I do agree, the census is one of those things that not too many people care about, understand or even feel like filling out. I was just pointing out the fact that Boston isn't a city full of only rich, educated people.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:13 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
It is?

Your chart is the metro

The city proper has a poverty rate of 20% and is about 30% immigrants. For instance child poverty is usually ~30% in Boston. And that’s not adjusted for COL. Also the median HH income is 70k compared to 96k plus in SF. DC and NY have lower poverty rates and lower child poverty. When adjusted for COL it’s probably more like a third of Bostonians live in poverty.

Old 05-09-2020, 12:06 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,039 times
Ahh that makes sense now. I knew I was missing something.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:04 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Ahh that makes sense now. I knew I was missing something.

Yup

Perception of commonly Boston is this or this

When in reality much of it is simply this and this ..three deckers galore.

Neighborhood node

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 05-09-2020 at 08:16 PM..

Old 05-10-2020, 04:58 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
I wonder why boston is so low. It's a very intellectual city so one would think they would be responding with a quickness to the census documents and website etc.
Boston has many undocumented immigrants, many of which are rightfully wary of retribution from the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City