Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 02:11 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I always see a ton of black people walking around Midtown but I don't think many of us live there. If I go back to Atlanta I'll probably look to stay in Castleberry Hill, West End, or an eastside neighborhood near transit. I'm just not sure if these neighborhoods are better than the DC equivalents.
There are tons of black people walking around everywhere in DC everyday. They come from all over. Some live in DC and others live in Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, etc. Most people walking around Manhattan don't live there either. If you're concerned about seeing black people in DC, then lol...you're going to be fine no matter where you are in the urban core. There are more black people walking around predominantly white neighborhoods in the urban core of DC than white people walking around most days. That will never change. Everyone comes into the city for fun and entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Again.
What year is this data from? Looks old. Also, why didn't you list all the zip codes?

Old 05-13-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I was going to ask the same question of DC. Blacks are a minority in nearly all core, walkable neighborhoods now or close to it.
Sorry, I missed this. Well, this discussion started based on what the OP considered "urban" which had to be defined first. Once the OP said he would consider this urban enough, I told him about Parkside and Northeast Heights in Ward 7 and what is being built in that area.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:30 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
The data came from American Fact Finder.

There are large numbers of Black professionals within the city limits of many cities. The issue is where those people live within those cities. They tend to not be concentrated in high-density, walkable neighborhoods because high-density, walkable, transit-rich neighborhoods are in high demand, which means they are expensive, and there are only so many Black people earning enough in any given city to live in the most in demand neighborhoods.

New York is an exception because the 90+ Walkscore neighborhood is not such a rarity. NYC has 62 neighborhoods with a Walkscore of 95 or higher. DC has 7. Chicago has 4. Atlanta has 1. I'm pretty sure NYC has more 95+ Walkscore neighborhoods than all other cities in the U.S. combined though I've never looked it up to confirm. Since it's impossible to literally gentrify all of NYC, there will always be relatively affordable neighborhoods with Walkscores in the 90s.
Walk score 90 is a high qualifier for sure. You’re 100% about your point.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

90 walk score seems a high qualifier for urban.

According to Statistical Atlas, Roxbury has 3017 black college graduates compared to 1105 white college graduates and a walk score of about 80. Lower Roxbury has a walk score of 93 and is ~60% black. Its certainly a place young black people prefer to live in the Boston area at least. That’s not saying much though.

I feel like if I looked at Philly it would have a lot of walkable places with Black college educated people.

Last edited by Yac; 05-19-2020 at 06:08 AM..

Old 05-13-2020, 02:32 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
Atlanta is becoming less and less black each year. It will more than likely be less than 50% with the new census. Love Atlanta but go with DC.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:33 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What year is this data from? Looks old. Also, why didn't you list all the zip codes?
What does "looks old" even mean? If the post was made in 2019, then the data is from a 2017 dataset.

I didn't list all the zip codes because I don't get paid for this. It takes time to pull a lot of that data. The idea there was to focus on Black professionals in urban neighborhoods. I wasn't trying to list out educational attainment for 100+ zip codes.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Seems like I have a tough decision to make. I love Atlanta but at the same time I want to see something new and different and DC seems like a good place to experience that especially with the black community there. I have a ton of time to research and hopefully, I can get an internship in DC next year to test the experience. Can anyone give me detail about the area around Columbia Heights? That's near Howard U and looks like a dope neighborhood but I'm not finding reasonable rents there (at least from my Atlanta mindset, I know DC jobs pay more).
As I have discussed before, if the neighborhood you posted earlier in the thread is urban enough for you, there are more college educated professionals in 20019 in Ward 7 than the zip code Bajan posted 20001.

Zip Code 20019 = 57,415 black people (93.14% Black)

-Professional Degrees = 239
-Masters Degrees = 1,872
-Bachelors Degrees = 3,278
-Associates Degrees = 2,239

Old 05-13-2020, 02:36 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Sorry, I missed this. Well, this discussion started based on what the OP considered "urban" which had to be defined first. Once the OP said he would consider this urban enough, I told him about Parkside and Northeast Heights in Ward 7 and what is being built in that area.
God I hated that intersection when they were doing construction there.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
What does "looks old" even mean? If the post was made in 2019, then the data is from a 2017 dataset.

I didn't list all the zip codes because I don't get paid for this. It takes time to pull a lot of that data. The idea there was to focus on Black professionals in urban neighborhoods. I wasn't trying to list out educational attainment for 100+ zip codes.

I only asked this because you listed 6 NYC zip codes.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Walk score 90 is a high qualifier for sure. You’re 100% about your point.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

90 walk score seems a high qualifier for urban.

According to Statistical Atlas, Roxbury has 3017 black college graduates compared to 1105 white college graduates and a walk score of about 80. Lower Roxbury has a walk score of 93 and is ~60% black. Its certainly a place young black people prefer to live in the Boston area at least. That’s not saying much though.

I feel like if I looked at Philly it would have a lot of walkable places with Black college educated people.
Walkscore is not good for defining urban the way we on City-data describe urban. We tend to talk about buildings that come up the street and streetwalls with retail on the first floor without surface parking lots. Walkscore ranks shopping centers with surface parking as high walkscore because it's still retail.

Last edited by Yac; 05-19-2020 at 06:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City