Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2021, 11:04 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
This thread has no excuse for it to be 100 pages. We are comparing an actual urban city to a city that speaks about highway traffic non stop.
To be fair, DC traffic is horrible; Atlanta has urban areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 12:46 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The fact that you think the beltline has generated more $billions of investment than the Anacostia Riverfront is why there is no need to even go further with this. Unless you’re talking about NYC, no redevelopment on the east coast comes close to the Anacostia Riverfront. The 1 mile long Wharf cost $2.5 billion. Thats not counting waterfront station a block away. That’s about 5% of the Anacostia Riverfront.
I meant in terms of new private development. And just so you know, the BeltLine has been called the largest urban redevelopment in the U.S. by many.

Old 05-23-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
This thread has no excuse for it to be 100 pages. We are comparing an actual urban city to a city that speaks about highway traffic non stop.
This proves you don't spend much time in D.C. They talk about traffic endlessly.

Old 05-23-2021, 12:54 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I meant in terms of new private development. And just so you know, the BeltLine has been called the largest urban redevelopment in the U.S. by many.
Huh? The Wharf is new private development. The second phase is still under construction now. Navy Yard and the Yards are still under construction. Buzzard Point is still under construction now. How is all that not new private development?

Old 05-23-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Huh? The Wharf is new private development. The second phase is still under construction now. Navy Yard and the Yards are still under construction. Buzzard Point is still under construction now. How is all that not new private development?
No known trail was the catalyst for any of that. As usual, you refuse to give credit to anything positive coming out of Atlanta. I get it though, you are extremely biased regarding the supposedly superior place you call home.

Old 05-23-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No known trail was the catalyst for any of that. As usual, you refuse to give credit to anything positive coming out of Atlanta. I get it though, you are extremely biased regarding the supposedly superior place you call home.
Huh? I have complimented the beltline many times in this very thread. Can you please show me one single positive thing you have said about DC in this thread? Shoot, show me one positive thing you have ever said on this entire website about DC.

Here is my proof....where is yours?

Quote:
For what it’s worth, I think the Beltline is awesome. DC has been building a trail to spur economic development along the Anacostia River too. I know exactly what the purpose is for the Beltline. It’s a catalyst just like the Anacostia River Trail for DC which began 20 years ago. They both serve the same purpose.

Old 05-23-2021, 03:05 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
To the poster that claimed no one moves to DC.

According to these US census estimates (if I’m reading them correctly)

DC added more people than Atlanta did from 2010 to 2019.

DC added around 85,000 people
Atlanta added 79,000 people.

Also, Atlanta has 2x the land area of Washington.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...a,GA/PST045219
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/DC

Maybe those numbers are wrong or I’m looking at it wrong.

I look forward to Clever’s response. Apparently a lot more people are moving to DC than Atlanta if you consider Atlanta has double the space.
First I want you to tell us who this poster is that said DC isnt growing. Ill wait for your answer as Im sure u wont address it.
There is no response to irrationality. U seem to not want to let go of the less density argument in which absolutely no one has argued against otherwise.
You can chose any period of time you like and the numbers will always be different but usually not a whole lot different. Atlanta having less density is a irrelevant argument to how many people are moving to each city. Its a known and long ago addressed fact brought up many times by you and MD. It seems an argument you want ,although accepted as fact long ago,you and your partners are looking to keep it up in every aspect of this conversation,
I mentioned how the Beltilne does the job of many downtowns as well as much more,plus it being fairly unique in its function and design ,although nothing like it on the same level and scope exist is ignored .
Its relegated as nothing more than a "trail"by others or you yourself cant even talk about it because you only know a couple of blocks of downtonwn parking garage areas with dead space .
You ignore or just unaware of all the growth and development just off Peachtree in both directions that have quickly brought more vibrancy as GSU towers have popped up as recently as 6 months to a year.The Centennial Park area has a 30 something story Margaritaville Resort Hotel being buit as we speak which just goes to show you how one little area can pop out of no where as people are craving the urban Atlanta that is there growing and changing but in need of more

I just think you want to make people accept the only experience of urbanity is only in the NE or West Coast which while in the South it looks nothing like those places,the functions are similar even if its not a consistent
option,its an option none the less and one that every day despite what you say is being played out the exact same way as DC. Counting billions that are 1-5 biillions of development apart from each other is ridiculous and doesnt change the fact that the cost in DC is much higher to develop land than Atlanta. Aslo the way in whcih these developments are affecting the landscape of Atlanta is a lot more profound than in DC.

The Centennial Yards,Summerhill.,Castleberry,Pittsburgh, etc are developments is in areas not much development has gone on for years so the desire to venture there was none xostent. These are in and close to the heart of the city. So for a person looking for the near future,its a better option than DC which is a cheaper option for New Yorkers and Bostonians who may be looking for some similar urbanity but Atlanta is even cheaper but an adequate option nonetheless for many

At the end of the day,both cities are goring exponentially which is more long the lines of what the thread is supposed to be about. The problem is you and others keep trying to make Atlanta conform to a DC standard and my answer is who say DC is the standard that should be?

Old 05-23-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
No, saying it’s just like walking around DC streets makes you both lose credibility. That’s why I asked which street in DC it looks like. That’s why I switched the comparison to Midtown Atlanta. If it’s just like being in the middle of DC, it’s surely just like being in Midtown or downtown Atlanta too right?
Your premise is something I wont answer because its not my point. My point was teh Beltline is something that is transformative to teh city of Atlanta in away the Anacostia Trail was not design for nor does not serve the same purpose. Ive never even been on the Anacostia trail but a quock google of both you can clearly see theay are totally different.
The Beltline has develoment all along it . Parks,hotels,resturants,breweries,bars,apartments, dog groomers.shopping centers,etc
You can walk out of your back yard and literally be on it.If I had to guess, more than 85 percent of the development of the city is within a mile of a built or proposed part of the Beltline. You cant understand it unless you have see it first hand, The trail comment and comparison just showed how you dont know what you talking about

Old 05-23-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Just an FYI, the area around the Anacostia River Trail is the exact same concept as the Beltline. It was made for the same purpose 20 years ago in DC.

I like the beltline concept. You need to let it be what it is. You are the one who said it looks like DC streets which is why I asked whether it looked like Atlanta streets too. The beltline is not a cohesive urban street grid like midtown Atlanta or downtown Atlanta because it’s not supposed to be. It’s supposed to be a trail that connects neighborhoods and spur economic development around it which is exactly what it’s doing. Stop comparing it to urban city neighborhoods anywhere because it’s not and never will be because it’s not supposed to be. It’s amazing as it is. Nobody looking for an urban experience like Midtown Atlanta is going to go looking for it along the beltline though.
My exact statement was teh Beltline has the pedestrian traffic of DC streets. I said it functions like a downtown as it connects people where they live with place they patronize. Thats what urbanity is. Dont try to twist what i actually said into something different

Old 05-23-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Your premise is something I wont answer because its not my point. My point was teh Beltline is something that is transformative to teh city of Atlanta in away the Anacostia Trail was not design for nor does not serve the same purpose. Ive never even been on the Anacostia trail but a quock google of both you can clearly see theay are totally different.
The Beltline has develoment all along it . Parks,hotels,resturants,breweries,bars,apartments, dog groomers.shopping centers,etc
You can walk out of your back yard and literally be on it.If I had to guess, more than 85 percent of the development of the city is within a mile of a built or proposed part of the Beltline. You cant understand it unless you have see it first hand, The trail comment and comparison just showed how you dont know what you talking about
This is the Anacostia River trail. There is way more development along it than the beltline.

Anacostia River Trail

Also, to your point, the river is the catalyst for the development, not the trail. The trail was just part of the total master plan. The Anacostia Riverfront is different than the beltline because it’s an actual neighborhood. The beltline has development along it, but it goes through neighborhoods, it’s not a neighborhood itself.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-23-2021 at 04:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City