Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2021, 05:34 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
All of this has nothing to do with black urban neighborhoods. That’s why he questioned how this is relevant to this thread. What you’re talking about is great, but it’s not relevant to this thread unless you know of some urban film studio mixed use neighborhoods under construction with predominantly black residents.

This is a thread about black urban development remember?
You really have a problem accepting and listening.Ill take the blame for assuming you know more about Atlanta than you really do.
Tyler Perry Studios in more than 80 percent black Oal;and City neighborhood, is at the site of an old Army base called Ft.McPherson. More than 65% is now owned by TPS,the rest of it is under negotiations as we speak to be bought and developed by T.D.Jakes Ministries.
https://www.wabe.org/t-d-jakes-in-ta...ort-mcpherson/

Since TPS bought the property and has made it his studio grounds,the area has seen a wave of development along with plans by the next door MARTA station to develop new apartments as well as affordable housing by Invest Atlanta
https://whatnowatlanta.com/oakland-c...atlanta-grant/

SInce you cant seem to grasp what Im saying,here it is clear and simple: OAKLAND CITY IS GROWING AND IS MAJORITY BLACK NEXT TO A MARTA STATION.
Got it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I’ll come back to this thread in 5 years so we can see how the area changed. I’ll then come back in another 10 years to do a final assessment. I know you’re new here, but I’ve come back to threads many times over the years and I have been right so far. I made a prediction DC would continue to boom way back in 2011 and people tried to say I was wrong. Well, I was right and it’s 2021 and they had nothing to say.

I made the prediction Ward 7 and Ward 8 would boom earlier in this thread and people said I didn’t know what I was talking about. Shortly after that, DC announced major developments here in Ward 7 and Ward 8 that are now under construction. Some people called me Nostradamus. I can’t guarantee anything, but I can be bullish on an area. I guess we will see.

On a side note, you clearly don’t understand the DMV geography or population settlement data do you. The DMV is very segregated with Black people living to the east and White, Asian, and Latino people living on the west of the region. People in Prince George’s County live 10-15 minutes from all the development in Ward 7 and Ward 8 with very easy access to it. They have to drive through it to get across the river. Ward 7 and Ward 8 run very linear along the Prince George’s County border and people go in and out of DC very easily. That is also true for people living in Ward 7 and Ward 8 going into Prince George’s County.
DC is just like Atlanta.
lol
This is something you dont want to admit. DC isn
some majocal place where black people or any people are just so different ,that they move differently.
Atlanta doesnt have a river but if you look at a racial map or Atlanta and DC ,you see the same patterns. So when I responded the way I did ,its based off known patterns.
https://dcist.com/story/20/01/14/thi...ed-since-1970/

In the map ,by the 2017 map you can clearly see where some black communities in green have blue dots that represents whites as well as Hispanics. signaling signs of change in those Wards across the river.

The exact thing is happening in Atlanta.The black population was declining rapidly now stabilizing but tge white and Hispanic populations are growing .

Here is a article about it
https://ggwash.org/view/77621/gentri...-white-issue_1

Its coming to both cities in their blackest parts . The question is just how black will they continue to be and how long will they be before that change happens or when it will stop?

Old 05-25-2021, 08:48 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
You really have a problem accepting and listening.Ill take the blame for assuming you know more about Atlanta than you really do.
Tyler Perry Studios in more than 80 percent black Oal;and City neighborhood, is at the site of an old Army base called Ft.McPherson. More than 65% is now owned by TPS,the rest of it is under negotiations as we speak to be bought and developed by T.D.Jakes Ministries.
https://www.wabe.org/t-d-jakes-in-ta...ort-mcpherson/

Since TPS bought the property and has made it his studio grounds,the area has seen a wave of development along with plans by the next door MARTA station to develop new apartments as well as affordable housing by Invest Atlanta
https://whatnowatlanta.com/oakland-c...atlanta-grant/

SInce you cant seem to grasp what Im saying,here it is clear and simple: OAKLAND CITY IS GROWING AND IS MAJORITY BLACK NEXT TO A MARTA STATION.
Got it?
That neighborhood is not urban. They don’t even have sidewalks on those residential streets. Just stop! I’ve given these Atlanta neighborhoods a pass a few times on their urbanity rating, but you’re pushing it now. Oakland City will never be urban.

Oakland City

Oakland City

Then you post a townhouse development that doesn’t even have parallel parking. You are comparing this to DC, not Memphis.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-25-2021 at 09:34 PM..

Old 05-25-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
DC is just like Atlanta.
lol
This is something you dont want to admit. DC isn
some majocal place where black people or any people are just so different ,that they move differently.
Atlanta doesnt have a river but if you look at a racial map or Atlanta and DC ,you see the same patterns. So when I responded the way I did ,its based off known patterns.
https://dcist.com/story/20/01/14/thi...ed-since-1970/

In the map ,by the 2017 map you can clearly see where some black communities in green have blue dots that represents whites as well as Hispanics. signaling signs of change in those Wards across the river.

The exact thing is happening in Atlanta.The black population was declining rapidly now stabilizing but tge white and Hispanic populations are growing .

Here is a article about it
https://ggwash.org/view/77621/gentri...-white-issue_1

Its coming to both cities in their blackest parts . The question is just how black will they continue to be and how long will they be before that change happens or when it will stop?
And in 20 years, how many white and hispanic people have moved east of the river in DC? How long do you think it will take till you see a 60/40 black versus other races split east of the river in DC? Another 30 years? The black population is over 90% right now.

Old 05-25-2021, 09:10 PM

Quote:
It absolutely does and I and the articles explain why. If you dont want to read or listen to what I say then I cant help you
No it doesn’t because there is nothing urban about Tyler Perry Studios or the neighborhood it’s located in. Also, companies giving money to the AUC schools impacts urbanity of those neighborhoods how?

Old 05-25-2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
That neighborhood is not urban. They don’t even have sidewalks on those residential streets. Just stop! I’ve given these Atlanta neighborhoods a pass a few times on their urbanity rating, but you’re pushing it now. Oakland City will never be urban.

Oakland City

Oakland City

Then you post a townhouse development that doesn’t even have parallel parking. You are comparing this to DC, not Memphis.
Ok. You know it all. Close thread. Nothing more to see

Old 05-26-2021, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Ok. You know it all. Close thread. Nothing more to see
Honest question for people from Atlanta. Do you consider Oakland City urban? If so, what makes it urban and what neighborhoods would not be considered urban in Atlanta?

Old 05-26-2021, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Honest question for people from Atlanta. Do you consider Oakland City urban? If so, what makes it urban and what neighborhoods would not be considered urban in Atlanta?
Urban and dense are not the same.
Its not urban or suburban exactly but based on the fact that its a poor mostly black neighborhood where most people dont have cars,it has frequent bus service and next to a MARTA subway station on the Beltline,Id say its more urban than anything.
The area is being redeveloped,including 132 acres of the former army base. The plan is for affordable housing,hotels,grocery store etc.

The area is connected to the Beltline which means development is soon coming where it will be connected to the other more prosperous neighborhoods. That is the idea of the Beltline. Everywhere it has touched,the areas become their own sort of hub for urban living.
That Townhome development is one development toward affordable housing to keep less fortunate blacks have their own homes in the city.
Thats what this thread is about. If you want to keep being so picky about how urban Atlanta is or isnt,then just end the thread as we all know Atlanta is not as urban or dense as DC. If the OP asled the question and live in Atlanta,he knows this and has to choose based on things like future development.

Oakland City is also close to East Point which as its own downtown. Sleepy and not much but it is urban but in a small town main street kind of urban.

So the question is how urban do you need? If you can get on the Belline and walk or bike or need to also use transit from your house to work,a store,a nearby brewery etc,then its urban.

Quote:
Atlanta BeltLine Inc. is renewing its hunt for a developer to buy and redevelop a "cornerstone" property along the Westside Trail.

The organization issued a Request for Proposals for a more than 20-acre site at 1050 Murphy Ave., commonly known as Murphy Crossing.

The RFP seeks a developer to transform the former home of the State Farmers Market with affordable housing, green space and "sustainable living-wage jobs" for neighborhood residents.

Proposals are due Aug. 3.

Officials hope a renewed Murphy Crossing, which sits in Oakland City and is bordered by Adair Park and Capitol View, could create a center of commerce.

Atlanta BeltLine Inc. bought the site, seeing it as a potential “jewel” for a mixed-use redevelopment.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...developer.html

So you can argue all you want but these are the areas in Atlanta going through major change and The Beltline is quickly making the area something better and more useful to the residents it currently serves and new residents looking for cheap housing with access to all that the city offers.

Old 05-26-2021, 07:26 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
I'll be honest I love both Atlanta and DC but this thread has gone on way longer than it should have. Atlanta has some urbanity to it but D.C. offers you a much more Urban experience than Atlanta does. And that's for African Americans specifically. It's not the same.

Old 05-26-2021, 07:58 AM

719 posts, read 493,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I'll be honest I love both Atlanta and DC but this thread has gone on way longer than it should have. Atlanta has some urbanity to it but D.C. offers you a much more Urban experience than Atlanta does. And that's for African Americans specifically. It's not the same.
Absolutely. Its really no contest....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City