Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 02:43 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
90 walk score seems a high qualifier for urban.
I didn't mean to imply that 90 was some sort of cutoff. My point was that high quality urbanity is rare in the U.S. so those neighborhoods (often close to the CBD) get gentrified quickly. This is also true in NYC but the supply of high quality urbanity is much greater than it is anywhere else. There are simply more walkable neighborhoods to live in.

Quote:
I feel like if I looked at Philly it would have a lot of walkable places with Black college educated people.
Not really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 02:44 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
God I hated that intersection when they were doing construction there.
It was insane lol. It's one of the busiest intersections in DC. Can you imagine when all the new developments are done? Tons of black people walking around with restaurants and coffee shops everywhere. Probably similar to National Harbor, but actually in the city.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:45 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Walkscore is not good for defining urban the way we on City-data describe urban. We tend to talk about buildings that come up the street and streetwalls with retail on the first floor without surface parking lots. Walkscore ranks shopping centers with surface parking as high walkscore because it's still retail.
That doesn’t describe anything but one tiny mall in Roxbury fwiw, idk how much of Philly is plazas like that but from what I’ve seen it’s not a lot. If anything I’d guess DC and Atlanta have more plazas than those two cities but the threads about them so I digress.

Side note: if we’re really talking walkability why would a plaza be worse than curbside retail, doesn’t it become about aesthetic at that point? If both serve the same purposes?

Old 05-13-2020, 02:47 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
It was insane lol. It's one of the busiest intersections in DC. Can you imagine when all the new developments are done? Tons of black people walking around with restaurants and coffee shops everywhere. Probably similar to National Harbor, but actually in the city.
Instant dread. Never even paid attention to the new developments outside of the boxy apartment building.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:48 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You bolded a sentence that said "young black professionals." Black people =/= "young black professional." Lots of cities have plenty of Black people in urban areas (Philly, Baltimore, Boston, Trenton, Newark, Camden, etc.), but few have a significant concentration of Black professionals in walkable, transit-oriented neighborhoods. DC is not one of them. I already posted stats on this in a previous thread.
This is very true.

NYC (Harlem and parts of BK) may be the best example of black professionals living in walkable, urban, transit oriented neighborhoods. Maybe some Chicago neighborhoods may be similar?
DC's Ward 7 and 8 may qualify in the future as they develop further.

Last edited by 908Boi; 05-13-2020 at 02:57 PM..

Old 05-13-2020, 02:48 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:

I only asked this because you listed 6 NYC zip codes.
Two reasons.

1. NYC zip codes tend to be small. Zip code 11205 is less than half the size of 20001.

2. I was only focused on highly urban zip codes with a significant population of Black professionals. Logan Circle does not make the cut (lacks significant population) nor does Shepherd Park (lacks density and walkability).

Old 05-13-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Two reasons.

1. NYC zip codes tend to be small. Zip code 11205 is less than half the size of 20001.

2. I was only focused on highly urban zip codes with a significant population of Black professionals. Logan Circle does not make the cut (lacks significant population) nor does Shepherd Park (lacks density and walkability).
Ok, understood.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Instant dread. Never even paid attention to the new developments outside of the boxy apartment building.
It's not there yet. It's going through entitlements. I posted the development below in an earlier post:

Quote:
What year are you planning to move here? The area you posted above is the intersection of four neighborhoods Benning, River Terrace, Parkside, and Deanwood. This area is known as Downtown Ward 7 anchored by Minnesota Avenue metro station. It's currently the site of the largest redevelopment plan in the entire city. This area will most likely always be black for the foreseeable future even after redevelopment. This is the area where most young black professionals are moving because it's still affordable to buy houses and condos compared to the rest of the city.

Parkside is on the northside of Minnesota Avenue metro station and Northeast Heights will replace East River Shopping Center which is visible from the street view you posted above. In fact, the view you posted above with the 1-story retail directly in front of you on that street view will soon look like this. I have posted the developments within walking distance of the street view you posted below:

Northeast Heights Renderings

-206,000 sq. feet of retail
-35,011 sq. feet of office
-1200 apartments

Parkside Development (3.1 Million Sq. Feet of Development)
Parkside Rendering
Parkside Details

-750,000 sq. feet of office
-1500 residential units
-40,000 sq. feet of retail

Benning Market Food Hall
Benning Market Rendering

Benning Market Food Hall will be the first new food hall for black owned vendors and small businesses in DC.

"The market is expected to have up to 10 vendors, including restaurants, along with a central bar and community seating. While not all tenants have been identified, offerings are expected to include home goods and other essentials in addition to food and beverage services."

"Anchor tenant Market 7 will operate the lower level of the space, including administering the grocery store; the organization has hosted pop-ups in Ward 7 over the past two years with over 60 vendors. It is a community-based startup founded by Ward 7 resident Mary Blackford to unite and champion local and Black businesses."

Old 05-13-2020, 03:03 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Capital of Black America the sequel....

Old 05-13-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
This is very true.

NYC (Harlem and parts of BK) may be the best example of black professionals living in walkable, urban, transit oriented neighborhoods. Maybe some Chicago neighborhoods may be similar?
DC's Ward 7 and 8 may qualify in the future as they develop further.
I think these stats for Ward 7 and Ward 8 are something to watch over the years as all the development is built:

Zip Code 20019 = 57,415 black people (93.14% Black)

-Professional Degrees = 239
-Masters Degrees = 1,872
-Bachelors Degrees = 3,278
-Associates Degrees = 2,239

Total Black Population Percentage with Some Form of Degree: 13%

Zip Code 20020 = 52,945 black people (94.36% Black)

-Professional Degrees = 321
-Masters Degrees = 2,445
-Bachelors Degrees = 3,434
-Associates Degrees = 2,079

Total Black Population Percentage with Some Form of Degree: 16%

Zip Code 20032 = 37,070 black people (89.87% Black)

-Professional Degrees = 191
-Masters Degrees = 1,375
-Bachelors Degrees = 2,370
-Associates Degrees = 1,328

Total Black Population Percentage with Some Form of Degree: 14%

Source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City