Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2021, 03:40 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Only if you exclude gentrifying neighborhoods. Otherwise, I can tell you the pre-Beltline Old Fourth Ward and the post-Beltline Old Fourth Ward are two very different neighborhoods.
I know you been away but its not just that area but you are right, just going down Boulevard on both sides is now a wall of apartments'condos in different phases of build.
As Ive already stated the areas near the Beltline in black neighborhoods sing even more development is Summerhill which is 77 percent black. The amount of work GSU is doing and has done is amazing but the best part is although maybe the GSU portion is only halfway completed its all the development surrounding it in anticipation that is the best part. Like Georgia Ave with all the new restaurants and breweries that was before just vacant old empty buildings.Its one of my favorite areas of town now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Wait...did you really just get on me about not flip flopping....

Mutiny says this...

And then you say this....

And you accused me of flip flopping?

And you just went from DC is concrete jungle or could become one to now it has a natural setting? I guess because Mutiny said it and not me, you were able to agree with it. How does a city designed to not be a concrete jungle in a natural setting become one?

Why I let you drag me into your ego I dont know. Maybe im just bored . My exact statement was "DC is more of a concrete jungle than Atlanta"
Key words are "more of" Meaning all cities are concrete jungles but some more than others. In fact the study I provided you also mentioned used its methodology based on exactly why I like these two cities as Atlanta was number one but DC was still in the top 20.

Seattle like Atlanta has natural beauty. More stunning natural beauty than almost any city in continental US but as a city,like DC but even more than DC ,its nothing but buildings and just seems like a lot of gray concrete. Its not a pretty city. It owes its beauty to its environment. DC is a beautiful city with all its monuments and green spaces but it still a lot of greenery outside of its less touristy and popular areas nut not like Atlanta where its just green everywhere.

Last edited by CleverOne; 06-01-2021 at 04:34 PM..

Old 06-01-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I consider them similar to what NOMA, Union Market, Navy Yard, the Wharf, Buzzard Point, Trinidad, Columbia Heights, Shaw, etc. were. They all used to be urban core black neighborhoods that have experienced gentrification. I think that is true for gentrified neighborhoods all over the country. The private sector has organically developed areas with demand and potential for investment.

The neighborhoods far from downtown and disconnected from the economic engine that need the investment are currently not getting any attention and will still not get any attention unless the government subsidizes it. It’s a problem for all cities. Investment only happens where demand exists. That’s what separates DC in this instance.

DC has combined two TIF packages, city government agency relocations, Opportunity Zone funding, and direct subsidy of $58 million included in this years budget to build out grocery stores and restaurant spaces in Ward 7 and Ward 8. There isn’t a city anywhere else in America doing this, but they could if they had the political will. That’s how you end food deserts. Cities have to put their money where their mouth is. The problem is competing interests. Most cities don’t want to use tax dollars to subsidize restaurants and grocery stores in low income black neighborhoods way on the outskirts of their cities. They say there is no demand, but they can provide subsidies to make it feasible.

All the developments I’m posting aren’t happening organically at all. The city has thrown the kitchen sink at the problem and it’s working. Rents will be lower than everywhere in the city. They will even be lower than Prince George’s County because of the subsidy. But there will be no income restrictions.

The Crest just delivered at Skyland Town Center and rents start at $1,435 for 1-bedrooms:

The Crest
I can promise you that Atlanta is doing as much or more

Old 06-01-2021, 03:55 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
You dont even know what you are talking about and again its evident you arent listening or care to know anything about what Atlanta. Like always with a DC topic all you do is endless homerism. Its not a debate you want. Its a pulpit. Im done with you.
Did you even read what I said? I’m referring to places that aren’t near downtown or midtown Atlanta. Places near downtown in every city in America have demand for investment. It’s the neighborhoods far from downtown that need attention.

Quote:
I know you been away but its not just that area but you are right, just going down Boulevard on both sides is now a wall of apartments'condos in different phases of build.
As Ive already stated the areas near the Beltline in black neighborhoods sing even more development is Summerhill which is 77 percent black. The amount of work GSU is doing and has done is amazing but the best part is although maybe the GSU portion is only halfway completed its all the development surrounding it in anticipation that is the best part. Like Georgia Ave with all the new restaurants and breweries that was before just vacant old empty buildings.Its one of my favorite areas of town now.

My friend is opening a restaurant in Summerhill and he lives there too. GSU is in downtown Atlanta and adjacent to it. Not 15 minutes from it. The people that need investment are far from downtown Atlanta. That was the point I made. The same is true for all cities. The developments I have posted in Ward 7 aren’t near any areas seeing investment. They wouldn’t be possible without subsidy.

Old 06-01-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I can promise you that Atlanta is doing as much or more
Near downtown/midtown Atlanta or on the outskirts of the city? I know there is a lot happening all around the core of the city. That’s true for most cities. What is happening on the outskirts?

Old 06-01-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Why I let you drag me into your ego I dont know. Maybe im just bored . My exact statement was "DC is more of a concrete jungle than Atlanta"
Key words are "more of" Meaning all cities are concrete jungles but some more than others. In fact the study I provided you also mentioned used its methodology based on exactly why I like these two cities as Atlanta was number one but DC was still in the top 20.

Seattle like Atlanta has natural beauty. More stunning natural beauty than almost any city in continental US but as a city,like DC but even more than DC ,its nothing but buildings and just seems like a lot of gray concrete. Its not a pretty city. It owes its beauty to its environment. DC is a beautiful city with all its monuments and green spaces but it still a lot of greenery outside of its less touristy and popular areas
I appreciate this and receive it. We both can agree DC and Atlanta are beautiful cities. This doesn’t have to be nasty or about putting cities down. We can just discuss plans and where they will be located. Your posts have been very informative and I appreciate all the stuff you have brought to the discussion.

Old 06-01-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Did you even read what I said? I’m referring to places that aren’t near downtown or midtown Atlanta. Places near downtown in every city in America have demand for investment. It’s the neighborhoods far from downtown that need attention.

My friend is opening a restaurant in Summerhill and he lives there too. GSU is in downtown Atlanta and adjacent to it. Not 15 minutes from it. The people that need investment are far from downtown Atlanta. That was the point I made. The same is true for all cities. The developments I have posted in Ward 7 aren’t near any areas seeing investment. They wouldn’t be possible without subsidy.
Fifteen minutes and you are in College Park,South Dekalb,Hapevile,Doraville,Chamblee,Norcross,etc..
THe Beltline is a 22 miles loop around the city connecting almost all of Atlanta neighborhoods.
I gave you Oakland City. Not downtown.
I gave you Pittsburgh. Not downtown
Cascade Heights,Choosewood,Westend,Hollywood, Bankhead etc and all over the city there is investment because of mostly the Beltline. When people tell you the Beltline even not completed is spurring billions of development ,believe it. Everywhere it runs and not even built, this is what we are telling you

Last edited by CleverOne; 06-01-2021 at 04:44 PM..

Old 06-01-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I appreciate this and receive it. We both can agree DC and Atlanta are beautiful cities. This doesn’t have to be nasty or about putting cities down. We can just discuss plans and where they will be located. Your posts have been very informative and I appreciate all the stuff you have brought to the discussion.
Finally!

Old 06-01-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:

GSU is downtown but where Summerhill is , is not.
GSU bought Turner Field and surrounding areas for a university style urban village. Kinda like Temple in Philly. Less dense and ...eruh... not grimey. Summerhill is next to South Downtown,not downtown.
Whats the restaurant?Is it on Georgia AVe? I go there alot. At least every other week and more than once during the same week.
My faviorites are Pete's hot Dogs, Juniors Pizza,Hero Donuts and Buns and Lil tart Bake Shop

Old 06-01-2021, 07:24 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Actually I have. If you not following the thread and coming in late ,make sure you know what I have presented What assumptions did I make?
almost everything you said in the post i quoted was based off an assumption. It's clear you're not very knowledgeable about DC, at least DC currently.

Last edited by 908Boi; 06-01-2021 at 07:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City