Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2021, 07:37 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
almost everything you said in the posted i quoted was based off an assumption. It's clear you're not very knowledgeable about DC, at least DC currently.
Assumptions are statements presented as fact. If I said something about DC it was either stated as an opinion a question.
You assume I said I was an expert on DC. I am not at all other than visit for family or friends.My comments about it were basic and along those lines, You have made an assumption about me that was inaccurate
Please be more specific but better yet what do you have to contribute to the thread other than criticizing and making assumptions of those who are contributing?

What I said:
Quote:
Your premises have no data or even examples to show how they are vaild.
A river is not an ocean. A simple bridge can change that. An example of that is the Fifth Street Bridge in Atlanta that connected Ga Tech main campus to Midtown on the other side of the interstate. Its spurred a town of development on Spring St that was pretty dead but now looks like any large metropolitan downtown with buildings lined up on both sides.

He said a river is a barrier to that area gentfying. I gave the example of GA tech 5th street bridge as a precedent.

Seventy,Eighty ,or 90 percent ,this will change over time and drop. When it does it will happen quickly. The question is will it slow down and at what percentage will that finally happen at?
Do you need data or examples where in every American major city there is not one single case where gentrification has not happened because of a natural barrier?

Black government agencies?LOL . First you are assuming blacks who move to DC will want to move in a black area. Like any race ,most blacks will go wherever they can get in but feel safe and secure.close to work and other factors.
So are you actually saying im wrong? Black people dont move differently than other races when they relocate?

Surrounded by wealthiest black areas? You just making this up as you go. That has nothing to do with how an are will change either
What data did he present to prove me wrong ? Better yet,you prove me wrong since Im so clueless. So the US Government because we had a black president and now a black VP I guess is a black agency?RIGHT!

Please tell me what assumptions I made about DC that showed my ignorance in according to statements I made.I wait patiently for you response

Last edited by CleverOne; 06-01-2021 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 10:48 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
I know you been away but its not just that area but you are right, just going down Boulevard on both sides is now a wall of apartments'condos in different phases of build.
As Ive already stated the areas near the Beltline in black neighborhoods sing even more development is Summerhill which is 77 percent black. The amount of work GSU is doing and has done is amazing but the best part is although maybe the GSU portion is only halfway completed its all the development surrounding it in anticipation that is the best part. Like Georgia Ave with all the new restaurants and breweries that was before just vacant old empty buildings.Its one of my favorite areas of town now.
Oh yeah I'm well aware man; I've visited a number of times in the past year. I just mentioned O4W as one of the earliest and most dramatic examples.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:12 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Fifteen minutes and you are in College Park,South Dekalb,Hapevile,Doraville,Chamblee,Norcross,etc..
THe Beltline is a 22 miles loop around the city connecting almost all of Atlanta neighborhoods.
I gave you Oakland City. Not downtown.
I gave you Pittsburgh. Not downtown
Cascade Heights,Choosewood,Westend,Hollywood, Bankhead etc and all over the city there is investment because of mostly the Beltline. When people tell you the Beltline even not completed is spurring billions of development ,believe it. Everywhere it runs and not even built, this is what we are telling you
Understood. Could you please tell me about the Neighborhood Planning Units in Atlanta? How do they work? I was looking at this below:

City of Atlanta Neighborhood Planning Units

Maybe this will help me understand exactly where things are happening. What is happening in the W, X, Y, Z planning units? How about the H, R, P, Q neighborhood planning units?

Old 06-01-2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
GSU is downtown but where Summerhill is , is not.
GSU bought Turner Field and surrounding areas for a university style urban village. Kinda like Temple in Philly. Less dense and ...eruh... not grimey. Summerhill is next to South Downtown,not downtown.
Whats the restaurant?Is it on Georgia AVe? I go there alot. At least every other week and more than once during the same week.
My faviorites are Pete's hot Dogs, Juniors Pizza,Hero Donuts and Buns and Lil tart Bake Shop
It’s on the border of Summerhill and O4W. It’s going to be a breakfast/brunch spot only. It’s not open yet, but should be open in the next month or so. That entire neighborhood has exploded. I was there in 2019 and again last month and the changes are drastic. GSU is doing so much in that neighborhood, that’s why he bought there a couple years ago. I think I know where those spots are. Are they in warehouse style buildings down a side street off the road where the stadium is? That’s walking distance from his house.

Old 06-02-2021, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
It’s on the border of Summerhill and O4W. It’s going to be a breakfast/brunch spot only. It’s not open yet, but should be open in the next month or so. That entire neighborhood has exploded. I was there in 2019 and again last month and the changes are drastic. GSU is doing so much in that neighborhood, that’s why he bought there a couple years ago. I think I know where those spots are. Are they in warehouse style buildings down a side street off the road where the stadium is? That’s walking distance from his house.
These are basically like 1900s style buildings . Typical main street type facades.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Fifteen minutes and you are in College Park,South Dekalb,Hapevile,Doraville,Chamblee,Norcross,etc..
THe Beltline is a 22 miles loop around the city connecting almost all of Atlanta neighborhoods.
I gave you Oakland City. Not downtown.
I gave you Pittsburgh. Not downtown
Cascade Heights,Choosewood,Westend,Hollywood, Bankhead etc and all over the city there is investment because of mostly the Beltline. When people tell you the Beltline even not completed is spurring billions of development ,believe it. Everywhere it runs and not even built, this is what we are telling you
I looked into the Neighborhood Planning Units further in Atlanta that I referenced below:

Quote:
Understood. Could you please tell me about the Neighborhood Planning Units in Atlanta? How do they work? I was looking at this below:

City of Atlanta Neighborhood Planning Units

Maybe this will help me understand exactly where things are happening. What is happening in the W, X, Y, Z planning units? How about the H, R, P, Q neighborhood planning units?
So from what you have posted, is the development mainly concentrated in the L, M, V, T, S neighborhood planning units (NPUs)? The M unit includes downtown Atlanta and the L, V, T units surround the M unit. The S unit includes Oakland City which has plans on the horizon and is adjacent to the downtown adjacent T unit which includes the AUC, Castleberry Hill, and the West End.

From my analysis, this does highlight a very specific concentrated area of development which aligns with what I said about development happening in concentrated areas near the urban core to create a critical mass excluding areas on the outskirts of the city from development away from the urban core and economic engine of the city.

DC has Advisory Neighborhood Commissions (ANCs) which seems to be similar to Atlanta’s NPUs. The ANC commissioners are voted in during our local election and they represent their ANC on all local maters. I have posted the ANC maps below so you can see where the stuff I have been posting is being built.

Maps of DC’s Advisory Neighborhood Commissions

Find Your Advisory Neighborhood Commission

For Ward 7, the developments I posted are happening in all 5 ANC’s. That includes ANC 7B (Skyland Town Center, Shops at Penn Hill), ANC 7F (Northeast Heights formerly “East River Park”), ANC 7D (Parkside, New Columbia Town Center, Market 7), ANC 7E (Fletcher Johnson), and ANC 7C (Deanwood Town Center, Capitol Gateway).

The funding for these is coming from this below which will pay for the construction of the retail and grocery store portions of the developments leasing the spaces back to grocery stores and restaurants at discounted rates to ensure their survival. It also exempts all grocery stores and restaurants on those sites from taxes.

§ 47–4667. East End grocery and retail incentive tax exemption

D.C. Code § 2-1212.72 - Section 2-1212.72 - East end grocery construction incentive program

Last edited by MDAllstar; 06-02-2021 at 09:48 AM..

Old 06-02-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I made a mistake on the neighborhoods. It’s on the border of Grant Park and Summerhill, not O4W.

Quote:
These are basically like 1900s style buildings . Typical main street type facades.
Yes, I looked on the map. That strip of restaurants is it. They are really nice and walking distance for all the people living in that neighborhood.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I looked into the Neighborhood Planning Units further in Atlanta that I referenced below:

So from what you have posted, is the development mainly concentrated in the L, M, V, T, S neighborhood planning units (NPUs)? The M unit includes downtown Atlanta and the L, V, T units surround the M unit. The S unit includes Oakland City which has plans on the horizon and is adjacent to the downtown adjacent T unit which includes the AUC, Castleberry Hill, and the West End.

From my analysis, this does highlight a very specific concentrated area of development which aligns with what I said about development happening in concentrated areas near the urban core to create a critical mass excluding areas on the outskirts of the city from development away from the urban core and economic engine of the city.

DC has Advisory Neighborhood Commissions (ANCs) which seems to be similar to Atlanta’s NPUs. The ANC commissioners are voted in during our local election and they represent their ANC on all local maters. I have posted the ANC maps below so you can see where the stuff I have been posting is being built.

Maps of DC’s Advisory Neighborhood Commissions

Find Your Advisory Neighborhood Commission

For Ward 7, the developments I posted are happening in all 5 ANC’s. That includes ANC 7B (Skyland Town Center, Shops at Penn Hill), ANC 7F (Northeast Heights formerly “East River Park”), ANC 7D (Parkside, New Columbia Town Center, Market 7), ANC 7E (Fletcher Johnson), and ANC 7C (Deanwood Town Center, Capitol Gateway).

The funding for these is coming from this below which will pay for the construction of the retail and grocery store portions of the developments leasing the spaces back to grocery stores and restaurants at discounted rates to ensure their survival. It also exempts all grocery stores and restaurants on those sites from taxes.

§ 47–4667. East End grocery and retail incentive tax exemption

D.C. Code § 2-1212.72 - Section 2-1212.72 - East end grocery construction incentive program
If by urban core you mean downtown, as I stated before, if you go 15 minutes in any direction,you are likely not in the city of Atlanta anymore. Oakland City for example is less than 5 minutes to East Point and about 10 minutes to downtown Atlanta
So every area in the city is almost near the urban core. This is why I dont see your line of reasoning about where the development is happening or why you are focusing on that.
It seems your line of thinking keeps using DC as the baseline for your rationale.
Atlanta isnt dense. Especially the farther you get away from the urban core so it makes sense large scale development will follow where the demand is.The areas with the largest black populations are closest to the core but in Atlanta metro is like DC.
We have counties in the metro like Clayton that are more than 70 percent black but unlike Prince Georges County , Clayton is not urban and does not have densely populated areas. Clayton physically also is a much smaller county

Like all neighborhoods, some associations are more active than others. Especially the rich white ones. That said black ones also are very active. The gentrification issue is one of the ,main reasons.

I dont have time to go and look up all the NPU by neighborhoods but I can tell you they are very influential and most developers make sure they have the input of them before they make a move or incur the rath of the NIMBY's as they are called

Atlanta has a development arm called Invest Atlanta. Its so purpose is fosteer development evenly and equitably around the city

Invest Atlanta is the official economic development authority for the City of Atlanta. ... Invest Atlanta creates programs and initiatives focused on developing and fostering public-private partnerships to accelerate job creation/economic growth, neighborhood revitalization/investment, and innovation/entrepreneurship.

What We Do Invest Atlanta

Quote:
Invest Atlanta, formerly Atlanta Development Authority (ADA), serves as a redevelopment agent for all tax allocation districts (TADs) formed within the City of Atlanta. Six TADs have been established including:

Westside
Atlantic Station
Perry-Bolton
Princeton Lakes
Eastside
BeltLine
Four (4) additional TAD Redevelopment Plans were completed in 2006 including:

Campbellton Road
Hollowell - M.L. King
Metropolitan Parkway
Stadium Neighborhoods
The Beltline organization has its own development non arm as well. Its goal is pretty much what Invest Atlantas goal is but focused on areas on or near the Beltline. Both organizations have bought land aside for affordable housing

Old 06-03-2021, 02:31 AM

Quote:
If by urban core you mean downtown, as I stated before, if you go 15 minutes in any direction,you are likely not in the city of Atlanta anymore. Oakland City for example is less than 5 minutes to East Point and about 10 minutes to downtown Atlanta
So every area in the city is almost near the urban core. This is why I dont see your line of reasoning about where the development is happening or why you are focusing on that.
It seems your line of thinking keeps using DC as the baseline for your rationale.
Atlanta isnt dense. Especially the farther you get away from the urban core so it makes sense large scale development will follow where the demand is.The areas with the largest black populations are closest to the core but in Atlanta metro is like DC.
We have counties in the metro like Clayton that are more than 70 percent black but unlike Prince Georges County , Clayton is not urban and does not have densely populated areas. Clayton physically also is a much smaller county

Like all neighborhoods, some associations are more active than others. Especially the rich white ones. That said black ones also are very active. The gentrification issue is one of the ,main reasons.

I dont have time to go and look up all the NPU by neighborhoods but I can tell you they are very influential and most developers make sure they have the input of them before they make a move or incur the rath of the NIMBY's as they are called

Atlanta has a development arm called Invest Atlanta. Its so purpose is fosteer development evenly and equitably around the city

Invest Atlanta is the official economic development authority for the City of Atlanta. ... Invest Atlanta creates programs and initiatives focused on developing and fostering public-private partnerships to accelerate job creation/economic growth, neighborhood revitalization/investment, and innovation/entrepreneurship.

What We Do Invest Atlanta

The Beltline organization has its own development non arm as well. Its goal is pretty much what Invest Atlantas goal is but focused on areas on or near the Beltline. Both organizations have bought land aside for affordable housing
To elaborate on one of the points further about how Atlanta has more some black areas that are urban outside of the city in other metro cities. Some have some urbanity but some are just typical suburban,
Camp Creek Village is suburban but walkable with great amenities for black familes. It was in incorporated Atlanta but is now in the newly formed majority black city of South Fulton.I think every elected official is African American in this city as its 91% African American. Thirty seven percent of its residents have a bachelors or higher and a poverty rate less than the national average at 9%.

Its actually booming these days. Its a beautiful area with lakes,golf courses and lush forested hilly areas.
Camp Creek Village initially was designed with upscale estate homes and townhomes with roof top decks. It fell victim of the housing crisis that hit Atlanta harder than almost any of American city. Many African Americans lost their homes due to high interest loans.
Luckily the area is booming once again but has less pricier homes focusing more solidly middle class buyers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axHq9uZwGZs

Old 06-03-2021, 07:44 AM

276 posts, read 168,500 times
From what I read, NPUs were largely born out of the freeway revolts of the 70s that threatened (and partially succeeded) to raze a lot of the east side neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City