Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2021, 09:30 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberrysaus View Post
From what I read, NPUs were largely born out of the freeway revolts of the 70s that threatened (and partially succeeded) to raze a lot of the east side neighborhoods.
Its true. Particularly Freedom Parkway was the final straw that led to it I think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 09:35 AM

Most of the cities facing an exodus of people these days are the most expensive cities like NYC and SF. I honestly think down the road may face a similar fate. The only reason it hasnt as of yet is the high black population which tends to have lower average incomes.
That will effect the debt those cities will have to take on as they use municipal bonds to pay for these massive capital infrastructure projects that spur development in these areas. Higher cost of living force residence to incur more debt.
Atlanta and DC even more keeps increasing its levels of gentrification but DC being so dense will suffer from more stiffer price increases due to the lack of affordable land.People will take on more debt to stay or leave.
DC is 13th for having the most debt during COVID Atlanta is 54th.
Atlanta has so much space still in popular booming higher density areas like Midtown and Buckhead and now,Downtown. DC is closer to that point where land is already at a high premium even in the less affluent black areas. There will always be government workers in DC so maybe it will not get to the point of like whats happening in AF and NYC

As someone said earlier " you get what you pay for",I would never move somewhere that is more likely to put me in debt. Even here in Atlanta I live in a nice sized house in majority black Clayton County now after living downtown in Vine City for 10 years. Below my means ,but living comfortably well. ClayCo as its sometimes called is often derided as it has a large majority minority population with higher than average crime. As nice as Prince Georges County is I have a white friend who grew up in Bethesda, who said PG was a little dangerous "he heard" . ClayCo gets the same wrap. Some of it is,but most of its not dangerous.

I think , its logical that Atlanta will be slower to develop black neighborhoods in such a manner that will push so many blacks out as much as its sost of living is less
At least blacks will be visible if not the still the majority. Atlanta has some great neighborhoods like this. Most are South of Midtown.
I always give Kirkwood as a good example. It was at least 85% black 25 years ago. Today its 39% black and 50% white
East Lake is another area. 41% black,49% white, Edgewood has a similar demographic

My favorite neighborhood and where I will probably move to one day is East Atlanta.
East Atlanta is majority black ,urban and walkable.
In its village area,its mainly entertainment with bars,restaurants,clubs etc. Many are black owned mixed in with others
It has gastropubs like the Argosy,a lesbian bar called Mary's, a couple of hip Hop lounges like Ten and restaurants like BLU Cantina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20H2gr6Vdio&t=119s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czXqml6w5Z4I didnt bring it up before because I didnt think of it as majority black but upon research it is 52% black

Old 06-03-2021, 09:44 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
If by urban core you mean downtown, as I stated before, if you go 15 minutes in any direction,you are likely not in the city of Atlanta anymore. Oakland City for example is less than 5 minutes to East Point and about 10 minutes to downtown Atlanta
So every area in the city is almost near the urban core. This is why I dont see your line of reasoning about where the development is happening or why you are focusing on that.
It seems your line of thinking keeps using DC as the baseline for your rationale.
Atlanta isnt dense. Especially the farther you get away from the urban core so it makes sense large scale development will follow where the demand is.The areas with the largest black populations are closest to the core but in Atlanta metro is like DC.
We have counties in the metro like Clayton that are more than 70 percent black but unlike Prince Georges County , Clayton is not urban and does not have densely populated areas. Clayton physically also is a much smaller county

Like all neighborhoods, some associations are more active than others. Especially the rich white ones. That said black ones also are very active. The gentrification issue is one of the ,main reasons.

I dont have time to go and look up all the NPU by neighborhoods but I can tell you they are very influential and most developers make sure they have the input of them before they make a move or incur the rath of the NIMBY's as they are called

Atlanta has a development arm called Invest Atlanta. Its so purpose is fosteer development evenly and equitably around the city

Invest Atlanta is the official economic development authority for the City of Atlanta. ... Invest Atlanta creates programs and initiatives focused on developing and fostering public-private partnerships to accelerate job creation/economic growth, neighborhood revitalization/investment, and innovation/entrepreneurship.

What We Do Invest Atlanta

The Beltline organization has its own development non arm as well. Its goal is pretty much what Invest Atlantas goal is but focused on areas on or near the Beltline. Both organizations have bought land aside for affordable housing
Very informative! Thanks.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:48 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Most of the cities facing an exodus of people these days are the most expensive cities like NYC and SF. I honestly think down the road may face a similar fate. The only reason it hasnt as of yet is the high black population which tends to have lower average incomes.
That will effect the debt those cities will have to take on as they use municipal bonds to pay for these massive capital infrastructure projects that spur development in these areas. Higher cost of living force residence to incur more debt.
Atlanta and DC even more keeps increasing its levels of gentrification but DC being so dense will suffer from more stiffer price increases due to the lack of affordable land.People will take on more debt to stay or leave.
DC is 13th for having the most debt during COVID Atlanta is 54th.
Atlanta has so much space still in popular booming higher density areas like Midtown and Buckhead and now,Downtown. DC is closer to that point where land is already at a high premium even in the less affluent black areas. There will always be government workers in DC so maybe it will not get to the point of like whats happening in AF and NYC

As someone said earlier " you get what you pay for",I would never move somewhere that is more likely to put me in debt. Even here in Atlanta I live in a nice sized house in majority black Clayton County now after living downtown in Vine City for 10 years. Below my means ,but living comfortably well. ClayCo as its sometimes called is often derided as it has a large majority minority population with higher than average crime. As nice as Prince Georges County is I have a white friend who grew up in Bethesda, who said PG was a little dangerous "he heard" . ClayCo gets the same wrap. Some of it is,but most of its not dangerous.

I think , its logical that Atlanta will be slower to develop black neighborhoods in such a manner that will push so many blacks out as much as its sost of living is less
At least blacks will be visible if not the still the majority. Atlanta has some great neighborhoods like this. Most are South of Midtown.
I always give Kirkwood as a good example. It was at least 85% black 25 years ago. Today its 39% black and 50% white
East Lake is another area. 41% black,49% white, Edgewood has a similar demographic

My favorite neighborhood and where I will probably move to one day is East Atlanta.
East Atlanta is majority black ,urban and walkable.
In its village area,its mainly entertainment with bars,restaurants,clubs etc. Many are black owned mixed in with others
It has gastropubs like the Argosy,a lesbian bar called Mary's, a couple of hip Hop lounges like Ten and restaurants like BLU Cantina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20H2gr6Vdio&t=119s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czXqml6w5Z4I didnt bring it up before because I didnt think of it as majority black but upon research it is 52% black
I like this type of information in reference to East Atlanta. I think it’s one of the selling points for these black neighborhoods beyond their urban built form. We should provide more of this type of information to show the cultural aspects for these neighborhoods which is a huge selling point for young black professionals wanting to relocate to black neighborhoods.

Old 06-04-2021, 04:31 PM

This just gained approval in English Ave

Quote:
Planned 138-Unit English Avenue Project Approved For TAD Grant
Named The Proctor, the development is designed to include about 10,000 square feet of retail space meant for local entrepreneurs

https://whatnowatlanta.com/planned-1...for-tad-grant/
Quote:
In the same meeting, Invest Atlanta’s board approved another grant of $1 million for Prestwick Development Company’s 160-unit senior housing project in Chosewood Park.

https://whatnowatlanta.com/vertical-...hosewood-park/

Last edited by CleverOne; 06-04-2021 at 05:21 PM..

Old 06-04-2021, 06:36 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Is the above picture supposed to demonstrate how suburban Atlanta’s development can be? Or is that a picture of a building they are knocking down and replacing it with something that has better land use, more dense and no parking lots??

Per capita income:
DC $56K
ATL $47K

The household media income:
$86K DC
$59K ATL

Persons in poverty:
21% ATL
14% DC

Education - Bachelors or higher for people over 25

52% ATL
59% DC

People under 25 without health insurance

12% ATL
4% DC

Households with language spoken other than English

9% ATL
17% DC

Per capita income by MSA

$47K DC
$25K ATL

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...a,DC/RTN130212

Compared by metropolitan area, the discrepancy between the two is significantly different. If you live in DC, you probably don’t have Atlanta wages.

Also, I want to point out DC is adding more people than Atlanta despite 1/2 the land area if I recall correctly since CleverOne has glossed over this (after saying no one moves to DC).

Old 06-04-2021, 09:29 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Is the above picture supposed to demonstrate how suburban Atlanta’s development can be? Or is that a picture of a building they are knocking down and replacing it with something that has better land use, more dense and no parking lots??

Per capita income:
DC $56K
ATL $47K

$86K DC
$59K ATL

Persons in poverty:
21% ATL
14% DC

52% ATL
59% DC

12% ATL
4% DC

9% ATL
17% DC

Per capita income by MSA

$47K DC
$25K ATL

Compared by metropolitan area, the discrepancy between the two is significantly different. If you live in DC, you probably don’t have Atlanta wages.

Also, I want to point out DC is adding more people than Atlanta despite 1/2 the land area if I recall correctly since CleverOne has glossed over this (after saying no one moves to DC).
What relevance does that have?

Old 06-05-2021, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What relevance does that have?
None. Dude just cant get over the fact that Atlanta is in the same category as DC. DC has 200 years over Atlanta and is the capitol of the richest country in the world.
Just wants an argument

Old 06-05-2021, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

Per capita income:
DC $56K
ATL $47K

$86K DC
$59K ATL

Persons in poverty:
21% ATL
14% DC

52% ATL
59% DC

12% ATL
4% DC

9% ATL
17% DC

Per capita income by MSA

$47K DC
$25K ATL

If you happy with how dense DC is,then stay there . This is America. We have choices. Enjoy DC as your choice but Atlanta should be Atlanta,not DC or any other city.

Please show me the exact quote where I said this? I asked you before but seems you glossed right over that. Comprehension is important if you choose to mis quote someone.
Why? Let me just be blunt with an answer as simple as that statement was. ITS A DUMB . PERIOD.
I had already told you what I thought about that. Is that clearer? Its relevant only to you but has no relevance at all. You have a hard time following what a the thread is about. I have no problem with DC having great things that are better than Atlanta. Its our nations capitol.
Im a veteran so I am proud to see DC shine above others but DC isnt where I chose as my home for the reasons I have listed previously .
Atlanta ,with so many wonderful things that shine in its own right to compete with such a great city is an honor,not a put down . A city unlike DC is an Olympic city and without a doubt by many as the heart of black America.
You are more than welcome to keep up this contentious unusual strange anti Atlanta fixation, but it just makes you look juvenile. Wait... are you a juvenile? Makes sense.

None the less in keeping with th thread relevance to black Americans as a whole based on the data you CHOSE to leave out rather than include can go be looked at more than one way.

So more relevant to the thread and why Atlanta is thought of as a black mecca despite its downsides you have to look at all the data without bias or an agenda as you clearly do

Population percent change 4/2/2010-6/1/2019
18.7 % ATL
17.3% DC

Atlanta IS MAJORITY BLACK. DC is not.
% of Black
52% ATL
46.3% DC

More people do own there homes in Atlanta
Homeowner Occupied
43.5% ATL
41.6% DC

If you are AA u make less money on average so why pay $400 more in rent?

Monthly Gross Rent
$1153 ATL
$1541 DC

DC is more urban and dense but clearly there is some discrepancies in the availability of shopping within the city limits
Total Retail Sales Per Capita
$13,719 ATL
$7022 DC

DC has more than 200,000 people in its city limits but lags behind Atlanta in minority owned business. Isnt that something a person of color should consider?
Minority Owned Firms
30,104 ATL
29,983 DC

More people probably have to live in one household to pay household cost like roomates. Atlanta has more single family housing so it must be more adults sharing household cost in DC rather than larger families in Atlanta

Persons Per Household 2015=2020
2.19 ATL
2.30 DC

You clearly are just looking to argue for bragging rights so you have to misrepresent by omission of data to continue this unreasonable assault on Atlanta.
DC is a great city but Atlanta is hardly Charlotte and has urbanity that attracts people as well. Its not for everyone but Atlanta of 2020 is not the Atlanta of 2010

Had you bothered to read the artcle in the link provided ,it clearly said the building would occupy a vacant lot. That is tackling density and giving more affordable options in the process

How is that rendering any different than this one off Florida Ave in DC?

Even DC has surfaced parking lots around some of its buildings. Lets not act like DC is NYC or SF. DC is as much like Atlanta as it is like Boston. Union Market is a good example of surface parking lots in a relative lower density area.
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...px8wEnoECFcQCA

Looks like some really low density to me. How is this not more like Atlanta?

or this?
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...px8wEnoECFcQCA

Chosewood where that rendering shown is in a neighborhood of single family homes on small lots on the Beltline where some density is occurring with developments like The Beacon .

Last edited by CleverOne; 06-05-2021 at 03:40 AM..

Old 06-05-2021, 02:53 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
None. Dude just cant get over the fact that Atlanta is in the same category as DC. DC has 200 years over Atlanta and is the capitol of the richest country in the world.
Just wants an argument
He has no choice but to get over it. Atlanta city/metro is growing faster than DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City