Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2021, 08:02 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Just to be clear, that development you posted won’t have the surface parking lot built with it then? I’m not trying to argue about this, I just looked at the picture you posted. The top picture looked like zero lot development without surface parking, but the bottom building had surface parking in the rear which would only be built in a neighborhood that’s not really that urban. That rule also applies to DC and can be seen in Ward 7 and Ward 8. We have a senior assisted living building being built on the DC line with surface parking too.

Ward 7 DC Senior Housing

How come you take offense to everything I say? I’m agreeing with you that some areas of DC in Ward 7 and Ward 8 look like Atlanta. You tried to say areas in the urban core of DC look like Atlanta which makes no sense because even Ward 7 and Ward 8 DC don’t look like the urban core of DC. They were built in different eras. The urban core of DC was built in the 1700-1800s before the car. Ward 7 and Ward 8 DC were built in the 1900s after the car.
I didnt "try" to say anything but what I said and that is not what I said. I said both cities have similarities that that they share. Similarities found between each other more than any other Northern city.
You keep misquoting and taking what I said out of context. You care more about being heard than listening what the other person is saying. All what you just wrote had nothing to do what I said and I get tired of having to tell people to go back and read what I said.

Atlanta isnt a new city. Its not as old as DC but its got areas that are clearly distinct from each other based on the period of time of building. Not as much as DC as Atlanta lost a lot through fire and just plane decline.

I guess even though I have been pretty even toned and factual in my post I have been attacked for just providing accurate balance to the thread when some(including you in the beginning) dont like me even attempting to say anything positive about Atlantas attributes. As if this thread is only about how great DC is. Something I dont disagree with and have said so plenty of times.I just see what many are missing about Atlanta as they are blinded my how great DC is they cant see how great Atlanta is.

Its exhausting when I am being clear as day and if Im not the ask.Dont put words in my outh

Last edited by CleverOne; 06-06-2021 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 08:08 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
I didnt "try" to say anything but what I said and that is not what I said. I said both cities have similarities that that they share. Similarities found between each other more than any other Northern city.
You keep misquoting and taking what I said out of context. You care more about being heard than listening what the other person is saying. All what you just wrote had nothing to do what I said and I get tired of having to tell people to go back and read what I said.

I guess even though I have been pretty even toned and factual in my post I have been attacked for just providing accurate balance to the thread when some(including you in the beginning) dont like me even attempting to say anything positive about Atlantas attributes. As if this thread is only about how great DC is. Something I dont disagree with and have said so plenty of times.I just see what many are missing about Atlanta as they are blinded my how great DC is they cant see how great Atlanta is.

Its exhausting when I am being clear as day and if Im not the ask.Dont put words in my outh
My apologies if I misquoted you. I’m just saying Ward 7 and Ward 8 are areas that compare to Atlanta, but the urban core of DC does not. Do you agree with that? There are vacant lots in Manhattan so nobody is saying vacant lots don’t exist in every city. A vacant lot has nothing to do with how urban the neighborhood is though. That’s the point I was making. They could build something on every lot in English Avenue and it still wouldn’t be anything like the H Street Corridor.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 06-06-2021 at 08:22 PM..

Old 06-06-2021, 08:21 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
I just see what many are missing about Atlanta as they are blinded my how great DC is they cant see how great Atlanta is.
The only person who isn’t getting the memo that Atlanta is great is you.

Atlanta is a great city. No one is debating that otherwise.

Old 06-06-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

I think this is about the perception that urban is better. All of the offensive implications are related to how urban areas are and how that makes them better. If the perception was that suburbs and big houses were better with big lots, this discussion would be very different. Who said urban was better?

Old 06-06-2021, 08:58 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
I think this is about the perception that urban is better. All of the offensive implications are related to how urban areas are and how that makes them better. If the perception was that suburbs and big houses were better with big lots, this discussion would be very different. Who said urban was better?
It is being implied that urban is better.

Old 06-06-2021, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Better for who? I like urban neighborhoods. You may like urban neighborhoods. But billions of people hate them across the world. There are way more people on earth that like rural and suburban neighborhoods that are safe, clean, and wealthy than urban neighborhoods.

Old 06-06-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

I made that statement because it always kept going back to "well DC is this and Atlanta should be too"
I have said of Atlanta being a hybrid city as it continues to grow. Atlanta will never look like DC. ATLs neighborhoods with small yards in the core mixed in with high rises,apartment complexes,town homes,row houses, etc is what cities in the South will have to be as no one wants to raze single family houses to make room for just high rises and super dense development when it can still be dense and keep its character
Your following statements:
Quote:
Probably because all the people you know live in cheap suburbs and are moving to Raleigh since ATL is becoming yuge.
Quote:
High cost cities are probably high cost because they are desirable and people are willing to pay more to live there.
As if Atlanta was cheap.

Then you posted some random cherry picked facts that only showed how DC best attributes when you purposely left out leading stats for Atlanta.

You said Atlanta u couldn't live in without a car. No great cities I can think of where you dont have at least acceptable public transportation.

You pretty much accused me of being racist when I asked you how were u helpful with your contribution in a thread where race was a main consideration.
You have a problem with my explanations being lengthy and call them books. Perhaps if you wrote a book or read one about Atlanta,I wouldnt have to write books. Just a thought

You misquoted me and antagonized me several times about the misquote and have yet to even apologize as I asked to provide said comments.
Now please tell me what have I said that would be considered inaccurate ,untrue or downright homerism? How did it come to be that I have offended you by giving accurate commentary on Atlanta in which you call "books" ,when MD has provided entire dossiers on commercial real estate in DC?

Last edited by CleverOne; 06-06-2021 at 09:36 PM..

Old 06-06-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Many times. I think the emphasis has been more on density hang better .
Urban hasnt even been really defined also. Is Savannah urban?The historic District? I think it is and it has parking lots and empty spaces in its core. What would not make English Ave not urban?Its not particularly dense

Old 06-06-2021, 10:30 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Better for who? I like urban neighborhoods. You may like urban neighborhoods. But billions of people hate them across the world. There are way more people on earth that like rural and suburban neighborhoods that are safe, clean, and wealthy than urban neighborhoods.
In this thread, it is being implied that urban is better.

Old 06-06-2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
In this thread, it is being implied that urban is better.
That’s the point though. I think urban is better for me and other people in this thread think urban is better for them. What does that have to do with how each person feels? There are millions of people in these areas and most choose to live outside the city. What people like is for them, not for anybody else. People like what they like. Nobody can make you feel inferior except yourself. That’s true for how you feel about your city too. I think people are getting offended because they feel like not being urban degrades their city and becoming more urban elevates their city. Well if becoming more urban elevates your city, who makes that determination? The attractiveness of urbanity is all personal preference.

If I say Atlanta isn’t urban like cities in the north, somebody who hates crowded cities that are busy with people rushing here and there will say “thank god it isn’t like that” which by the way most people in the south say that. Maybe not on this forum which is the minority by the way, but most people prefer their city to have easy parking and space to breath. That’s the point I’m making. We on this website make urban better, but it isn’t true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City