Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2021, 11:45 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That’s the point though. I think urban is better for me and other people in this thread think urban is better for them. What does that have to do with how each person feels? There are millions of people in these areas and most choose to live outside the city. What people like is for them, not for anybody else. People like what they like. Nobody can make you feel inferior except yourself. That’s true for how you feel about your city too. I think people are getting offended because they feel like not being urban degrades their city and becoming more urban elevates their city. Well if becoming more urban elevates your city, who makes that determination? The attractiveness of urbanity is all personal preference.

If I say Atlanta isn’t urban like cities in the north, somebody who hates crowded cities that are busy with people rushing here and there will say “thank god it isn’t like that” which by the way most people in the south say that. Maybe not on this forum which is the minority by the way, but most people prefer their city to have easy parking and space to breath. That’s the point I’m making. We on this website make urban better, but it isn’t true.
You are too funny.
This is a bit of revisionism. If someone says :" Atlanta isnt really urban,DC is... That implies inferiority.
No one and by me is who u are acting like you are not referring ,has said or remotely implied I feel the city is inferior because of a lack of urbanity. That whole statement is you making up a narrative that was never laid out by me or one single person. Its actual to the contrary where I have constantly had to remind some of you that Atlanta is not as urban as DC but is urban. In fact I specifically said everybody doesnt want urbanity like DC where housing is ridiculously high with small spaces in a concrete jungle. How is that translate to me having feelings of inferiority or offended? You are so manipulative. Tried to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Most people up North think the KKK and Scarlett Ohara great great granddaughter is serving sweet tea to visitors at the airport. This is CD Forum. Most on here have some Idea despite what ever biases they have what are real cities.Most people from the South like up North do not live in the city proper. Its stereotypical statements like those that are what cause these disagreements. Being from the South doenst make u hate urbanism. Suburbs in DC are growing just as fast as suburbs in Atlanta so how is the thinking different among Southerners when the suburbs are experiencing about the same amont of growth?
The fact that DC is growing like Atlanta and other Sunbelt cities is a telling similarity that you just cant bare accept that there are some of those that exist between the two cities.

Urban means the same for everyone.Just because one has more of it doesnt mean it doesnt exist in the other city. You said to me when I posted about Oakland City that it didnt have sidewalks in some places so it couldn't me urban, Despite it having high bus ridership, a MARTA station and development that was becoming more and more dense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 06:46 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

What exactly are the arguments in this thread about. It seems its 1 person making points about a city and another person constantly arguing with themselves.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:01 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The Politics and Controversy forum is full of "white folks topics."
So is Stormfront, but I'm talking about the City vs City subforum.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:32 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
You are too funny.
This is a bit of revisionism. If someone says :" Atlanta isnt really urban,DC is... That implies inferiority.
No one and by me is who u are acting like you are not referring ,has said or remotely implied I feel the city is inferior because of a lack of urbanity. That whole statement is you making up a narrative that was never laid out by me or one single person. Its actual to the contrary where I have constantly had to remind some of you that Atlanta is not as urban as DC but is urban. In fact I specifically said everybody doesnt want urbanity like DC where housing is ridiculously high with small spaces in a concrete jungle. How is that translate to me having feelings of inferiority or offended? You are so manipulative. Tried to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Most people up North think the KKK and Scarlett Ohara great great granddaughter is serving sweet tea to visitors at the airport. This is CD Forum. Most on here have some Idea despite what ever biases they have what are real cities.Most people from the South like up North do not live in the city proper. Its stereotypical statements like those that are what cause these disagreements. Being from the South doenst make u hate urbanism. Suburbs in DC are growing just as fast as suburbs in Atlanta so how is the thinking different among Southerners when the suburbs are experiencing about the same amont of growth?
The fact that DC is growing like Atlanta and other Sunbelt cities is a telling similarity that you just cant bare accept that there are some of those that exist between the two cities.

Urban means the same for everyone.Just because one has more of it doesnt mean it doesnt exist in the other city. You said to me when I posted about Oakland City that it didnt have sidewalks in some places so it couldn't me urban, Despite it having high bus ridership, a MARTA station and development that was becoming more and more dense
You just proved what I said. You are so busy defending what you are saying you're not comprehending. I said there are millions of people in these cities meaning outside the cities of DC, NYC, San Fran, Chicago who choose to live in the suburbs.

Quote:
That’s the point though. I think urban is better for me and other people in this thread think urban is better for them. What does that have to do with how each person feels? There are millions of people in these areas and most choose to live outside the city. What people like is for them, not for anybody else. People like what they like. Nobody can make you feel inferior except yourself. That’s true for how you feel about your city too. I think people are getting offended because they feel like not being urban degrades their city and becoming more urban elevates their city. Well if becoming more urban elevates your city, who makes that determination? The attractiveness of urbanity is all personal preference.

If I say Atlanta isn’t urban like cities in the north, somebody who hates crowded cities that are busy with people rushing here and there will say “thank god it isn’t like that” which by the way most people in the south say that. Maybe not on this forum which is the minority by the way, but most people prefer their city to have easy parking and space to breath. That’s the point I’m making. We on this website make urban better, but it isn’t true.

You really need to calm down. This isn't personal. It's objective and the definition of urban is based on urban planning principals and urban design principals.

And no, a neighborhood can't be considered urban without sidewalks. That is basic safety infrastructure for pedestrians.

National Association of City Transportation Officials

There are examples of streets without sidewalks in commercial areas called "a woonerf" and they allow all users to share the road, but that would not pertain to Oakland City. One of the most critical measurements of an urban neighborhood is pedestrian traffic. If a neighborhood is not designed for people to walk, how can it be considered urban? The neighborhoods in Ward 7 and Ward 8 are not even close to urban like the DC urban core, however, they do have tons of pedestrian traffic.

Woonerf

Another measure of urbanity is zero lot development. Properties that come right up to the property line.

Zero Lot Development

All of this is objective, not subjective. There are clear definitions and entire professions for this.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 06-07-2021 at 09:29 AM..

Old 06-07-2021, 03:55 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Many times. I think the emphasis has been more on density hang better .
Urban hasnt even been really defined also. Is Savannah urban?The historic District? I think it is and it has parking lots and empty spaces in its core. What would not make English Ave not urban?Its not particularly dense
You're absolutely right. However, the dense cities aren't the cities that are growing the fastest. That tells you there are aspects that are more important to people than cramming the most stuff into the smallest space possible.

Old 06-07-2021, 05:26 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
What exactly are the arguments in this thread about. It seems its 1 person making points about a city and another person constantly arguing with themselves.
That Atlanta is just as big, just as important, growing faster, just as urban, on the same level, in the same league, is not beneath and just as great as Washington.

Which is odd because no one has said to the contrary.

Thats the basic summary.

Old 06-07-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
That Atlanta is just as big, just as important, growing faster, just as urban, on the same level, in the same league, is not beneath and just as great as Washington.

Which is odd because no one has said to the contrary.

Thats the basic summary.
Yet you cant seem to provide quotes where anything like that was said.You poked the bear and you got bit, I havent insulted you not one time. Lets be honest now. You basically have done nothing but lie about what I have said.

It was not even me that initially brought up growth.I just responded like you did. Get you facts straight

Last edited by CleverOne; 06-07-2021 at 06:58 PM..

Old 06-07-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
You just proved what I said. You are so busy defending what you are saying you're not comprehending. I said there are millions of people in these cities meaning outside the cities of DC, NYC, San Fran, Chicago who choose to live in the suburbs.

You really need to calm down. This isn't personal. It's objective and the definition of urban is based on urban planning principals and urban design principals.

And no, a neighborhood can't be considered urban without sidewalks. That is basic safety infrastructure for pedestrians.

National Association of City Transportation Officials

There are examples of streets without sidewalks in commercial areas called "a woonerf" and they allow all users to share the road, but that would not pertain to Oakland City. One of the most critical measurements of an urban neighborhood is pedestrian traffic. If a neighborhood is not designed for people to walk, how can it be considered urban? The neighborhoods in Ward 7 and Ward 8 are not even close to urban like the DC urban core, however, they do have tons of pedestrian traffic.

Woonerf

Another measure of urbanity is zero lot development. Properties that come right up to the property line.

Zero Lot Development

All of this is objective, not subjective. There are clear definitions and entire professions for this.
I am calm. Im just telling you I disagree with you. How is that not calm? If it were objective then you would use facts and not arbitrary rules of your own volition

What you provided are not the definition for what is urban. They are just associations that help facilitate areas that are already urban, Not to create urbanity.

Definition of Urban
Quote:
Urban areas are very developed, meaning there is a density of human structures such as houses, commercial buildings, roads, bridges, and railways. "Urban area" can refer to towns, cities, and suburbs. An urban area includes the city itself, as well as the surrounding areas.
Quote:
To qualify as an urban area, the territory identified according to criteria must encompass at least 2,500 people, at least 1,500 of which reside outside institutional group quarters.
Quote:
For the 2010 Census, an urban area will comprise a densely settled core of census tracts and/or census blocks that meet minimum population density requirements, along with adjacent territory containing non-residential urban land uses as well as territory with low population density included to link outlying densely settled territory with the densely settled core. To qualify as an urban area, the territory identified according to criteria must encompass at least 2,500 people, at least 1,500 of which reside outside institutional group quarters.
The Bureau identifies two types of urban areas:

Urbanized Areas (UAs) of 50,000 or more people;
Urban Clusters (UCs) of at least 2,500 and less than 50,000 people.
Quote:
The concept of an "urban area" as used in economic statistics should not be confused with the concept of the "urban area" used in road safety statistics. The last concept is also known as "built-up area in road safety". According to the definition by the Office for National Statistics, "Built-up areas are defined as land which is 'irreversibly urban in character', meaning that they are characteristic of a town or city.
Now where does it say anything about a lack of sidewalks? There are some cities in India with sections with no sidewalks are they not urban?

Last edited by CleverOne; 06-07-2021 at 06:01 PM..

Old 06-07-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
You obviously are bored at work if you cant contribute other than passive aggressive comments that have absolutely nothing to do with the thread
You are another DC poster who cant handle a person calling yall out on your biased attitudes against Atlanta .

Last edited by CleverOne; 06-07-2021 at 06:10 PM..

Old 06-07-2021, 05:56 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
I am calm. Im just telling you I disagree with you. How is that not calm? If it were objective then you would use facts and not arbitrary rules of your own volition

Definition of Urban

Now where does it say anything about a lack of sidewalks? There are some cities in India with sections with no sidewalks are they not urban?
Urban design, not urban area. You’re talking about people and I’m talking about the built environment, infrastructure, and design. Question for you, when you drive around an urban designed neighborhood at 4am and nobody is on the street, does that make it any less urban? You’re talking about occupancy and population and I’m talking about actual design. The industry standard for urban design is also used in Atlanta to redesign neighborhoods and increase their urbanity. Look at this below:

Atlanta Urban Design Standards

There is a reason LA has higher density than most of the big 6, but still is less urban than them. It’s not about people, it’s about design.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 06-07-2021 at 06:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City