Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2021, 06:47 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Urban design, not urban area. You’re talking about people and I’m talking about the built environment, infrastructure, and design. Question for you, when you drive around an urban designed neighborhood at 4am and nobody is on the street, does that make it any less urban? You’re talking about occupancy and population and I’m talking about actual design. The industry standard for urban design is also used in Atlanta to redesign neighborhoods and increase their urbanity. Look at this below:

Atlanta Urban Design Standards

There is a reason LA has higher density than most of the big 6, but still is less urban than them. It’s not about people, it’s about design.
So basically you are saying Im wrong for reading the definitions of urban portions that are contradictory to your narrow definition

its about both. Not one or the other.The definitions clearly say both people in defined areas based on the built environment which includes everything from housing, commercial strictures,institutions, golf courses, roads etc.
You want it to be just your way of whats urban , This is why I gave the city of Savannah as a good example of the different types of urban areas.
A lack of sidewalks does not make an area not urban.
Especially when you consider the that to be considered urban ,and area must have 2534 people per square mile. Oakland City in area is 1014 sq miles and has a population of almost 5000
By every definition of what is urban,and not design standards put forth but different city departments, Oakland City is an urban neighborhood. You just dont want to see it that way as its not a classically urban area.
You are just wrong on this .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 06:53 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
So basically you are saying Im wrong for reading the definitions of urban portions that are contradictory to your narrow definition

its about both. Not one or the other.The definitions clearly say both people in defined areas based on the built environment which includes everything from housing, commercial strictures,institutions, golf courses, roads etc.
You want it to be just your way of whats urban , This is why I gave the city of Savannah as a good example of the different types of urban areas.
A lack of sidewalks does not make an area not urban.
Especially when you consider the that to be considered urban ,and area must have 2534 people per square mile. Oakland City in area is 1014 sq miles and has a population of almost 5000
By every definition of what is urban,and not design standards put forth but different city departments, Oakland City is an urban neighborhood. You just dont want to see it that way as its not a classically urban area.
You are just wrong on this .
Savanna and Charleston are both urban in their historic neighborhoods because they are planned cities. Vacant lots don’t make a city less urban, urban design does. This isn’t my definition. This is the professional best practices definition and your own city uses it. You’re not arguing with me, you’re arguing with architects, engineers, developers, and urban planners. I don’t have a dog in the fight, I didn’t make these international definitions of best practices for urban design. Take it up with the academic world.

What is your design standard for an urban neighborhood? What do you think the OP wants? Do you think he would choose Oakland City as a potential neighborhood for an urban lifestyle? That’s what the thread is about.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Savanna and Charleston are both urban in their historic neighborhoods because they are planned cities. Vacant lots don’t make a city less urban, urban design does. This isn’t my definition. This is the professional best practices definition and your own city uses it. You’re not arguing with me, you’re arguing with architects, engineers, developers, and urban planners. I don’t have a dog in the fight, I didn’t make these international definitions of best practices for urban design. Take it up with the academic world.

What is your design standard for an urban neighborhood? What do you think the OP wants?
Im not arfuing with anyone. I know the definition and they have the same definition Im using as a base line fr what urban is. Every city has their own standard of what they wish to use to better design urban areas. Areas that are ALREADY urban by the definitions I provided. You cant seem to grasp this as the base for what is urban.

If you look up urban in Wiki by countries how they look at what is urban. The baseline for most of it is exactly the definitions I gave despite all being different in their local,regional or national guidelines. Thats what you are presenting and cant seem to understand there is always a basic level which is what I have given you

Im done. I gave you exact definition and terminology. I dont know what is in the OPs mind but I would guess as I said before long ago that DC is more urban . PERIOD. He lives in Atlanta so he knows it already which means he wants a basic level of urbanity in which even Oakland CIty has . I assume he needs to figure out why going to another level of urban living in DC would be a better fit when other factors like COL, entertainment. transportation, job etc have to be considered too

Last edited by CleverOne; 06-07-2021 at 07:36 PM..

Old 06-07-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Im not arfuing with anyone. I know the definition and they have the same definition Im using as a base line fr what urban is. Every city has their own standard of what they wish to use to better design urban areas. Areas that are ALREADY urban by the definitions I provided. You cant seem to grasp this as the base for what is urban.

If you look or urban in Wiki,its breaks down my countries how they look at what is urban. The baseline for most of it is exactly the definitions I gave despite all being different in their local,regional or national guidelines. Thats what you are presenting and cant seem to understand there is always a basic level which is what I have given you

Im done. I gave you exact definition and terminology. I dont know what is in the OP mind but I would guess as I said before long ago that DC is more urban . PERIOD. He lives in Atlanta so he knows it already which means he wants a basic level of urbanity in which even Oakland CIty has .I assume he needs to figure out why going to another level of urban living in DC would be a better fit when other factors like COL, entertainment. transportation, job etc have to be considered too
He doesn’t live in Atlanta. He is away at school. Also, he told us where he would live in Atlanta:

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I always see a ton of black people walking around Midtown but I don't think many of us live there. If I go back to Atlanta I'll probably look to stay in Castleberry Hill, West End, or an eastside neighborhood near transit. I'm just not sure if these neighborhoods are better than the DC equivalents.
So, the question we should be focused on is what is the DC equivalent to Castleberry Hill and West End? What neighborhoods in DC are built similar?

Last edited by MDAllstar; 06-07-2021 at 07:23 PM..

Old 06-07-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
He doesn’t live in Atlanta. He is away at school. Also, he told us where he would live in Atlanta:

So, the question we should be focused on is what is the DC equivalent to Castleberry Hill and West End? What neighborhoods in DC are built similar?
He used to live in Atlanta so he knows it is the point. Away at school is irrelevant.
He apparently is looking for something in DC equivalent which of course DC has those abd are far more developed and urban.
You started all this by making statements that were not quite true about Atlanta.All I did was provide context to those statements. You asked me question and I obliged. The ship has sailed in staying true to exactly the needs of what the OP was asking sailed long ago when many of you DC posters kept wanting just to keep hammering down on just how much more urban DC .is Then yall pretend it was I who have some sore offended sensibility of the city of Atlanta where I have chosen to live more than a decade ago . Throughout this thread I have said over and over again Atlanta is basically underdeveloped as a city but is making great strides but is more than adequate for urban living if not optimal.
Then you say its subjective as if you havent made some gross exaggerations and highly opinionated responses

Last edited by CleverOne; 06-07-2021 at 09:16 PM..

Old 06-09-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
He used to live in Atlanta so he knows it is the point. Away at school is irrelevant.
He apparently is looking for something in DC equivalent which of course DC has those abd are far more developed and urban.
You started all this by making statements that were not quite true about Atlanta.All I did was provide context to those statements. You asked me question and I obliged. The ship has sailed in staying true to exactly the needs of what the OP was asking sailed long ago when many of you DC posters kept wanting just to keep hammering down on just how much more urban DC .is Then yall pretend it was I who have some sore offended sensibility of the city of Atlanta where I have chosen to live more than a decade ago . Throughout this thread I have said over and over again Atlanta is basically underdeveloped as a city but is making great strides but is more than adequate for urban living if not optimal.
Then you say its subjective as if you havent made some gross exaggerations and highly opinionated responses
Can we atleast agree that Castleberry Hill is similar to Downtown Ward 7?

Old 06-10-2021, 03:28 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Can we atleast agree that Castleberry Hill is similar to Downtown Ward 7?
If by downtown Ward 7 you mean the larger area at the intersection of Minnesota and Benning, then I'd say the only real similarity to Castleberry Hill I see is that a freeway separates it from one of the bordering neighborhoods. Otherwise they have pretty different characters and locations within their respective cities. Castleberry Hill really doesn't have an equivalent in DC and puts you more in the mind of Baltimore IMO.

Old 06-10-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If by downtown Ward 7 you mean the larger area at the intersection of Minnesota and Benning, then I'd say the only real similarity to Castleberry Hill I see is that a freeway separates it from one of the bordering neighborhoods. Otherwise they have pretty different characters and locations within their respective cities. Castleberry Hill really doesn't have an equivalent in DC and puts you more in the mind of Baltimore IMO.
Ivy City?

Old 06-11-2021, 05:28 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree with you on this one. It does remind me of parts of B More, RVA, or even a piece of Philadelphia when I walking or driving through part of Castleberry Hill.

Old 06-11-2021, 08:44 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,658,144 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Ivy City?
Never been to that Castleberry Hill section but it does seem similar to Ivy City

https://goo.gl/maps/7JM1GAfF9rBnxRUD6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City