Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 03:06 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Why on earth are there so many people in one zip code^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 03:12 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
If you are Black in Midtown, or in most parts of Metro Atlanta really, you will be totally fine.

(As Brother Mute outlined on another thread. ).
Exactly. Anywhere in the Perimeter is cool.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The data came from American Fact Finder.

There are large numbers of Black professionals within the city limits of many cities. The issue is where those people live within those cities. They tend to not be concentrated in high-density, walkable neighborhoods because high-density, walkable, transit-rich neighborhoods are in high demand, which means they are expensive, and there are only so many Black people earning enough in any given city to live in the most in demand neighborhoods.

New York is an exception because the 90+ Walkscore neighborhood is not such a rarity. NYC has 62 neighborhoods with a Walkscore of 95 or higher. DC has 7. Chicago has 4. Atlanta has 1. I'm pretty sure NYC has more 95+ Walkscore neighborhoods than all other cities in the U.S. combined though I've never looked it up to confirm. Since it's impossible to literally gentrify all of NYC, there will always be relatively affordable neighborhoods with Walkscores in the 90s.
Seems like Bronzeville would qualify for Chicago, no?

Old 05-13-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Atlanta is becoming less and less black each year. It will more than likely be less than 50% with the new census. Love Atlanta but go with DC.
This makes very little sense seeing as though DC's Black population has already dipped below 50% and decreasing faster as a share of the municipal population compared to Atlanta, which is still majority Black.

But facts rarely matter when an agenda is in play.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:36 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The data came from American Fact Finder.

There are large numbers of Black professionals within the city limits of many cities. The issue is where those people live within those cities. They tend to not be concentrated in high-density, walkable neighborhoods because high-density, walkable, transit-rich neighborhoods are in high demand, which means they are expensive, and there are only so many Black people earning enough in any given city to live in the most in demand neighborhoods.

New York is an exception because the 90+ Walkscore neighborhood is not such a rarity. NYC has 62 neighborhoods with a Walkscore of 95 or higher. DC has 7. Chicago has 4. Atlanta has 1. I'm pretty sure NYC has more 95+ Walkscore neighborhoods than all other cities in the U.S. combined though I've never looked it up to confirm. Since it's impossible to literally gentrify all of NYC, there will always be relatively affordable neighborhoods with Walkscores in the 90s.
We went over this in a previous thread already, and you continue to move the goal post regarding DC.

SE DC, mainly Anacostia, and a few other Ward 8 neighborhoods, is by and large solidly walkable with solid transit. Searching the neighborhood name in Walkscore does little to display this picture. Now it's no where near the majority, but these ward 8 neighborhoods have "black professionals" living there. All in all though NW areas around HU /Shaw/ Columbia Heights and Ledroit Park etc. are where the OP should consider if he choose DC.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:41 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,648,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This makes very little sense seeing as though DC's Black population has already dipped below 50% and decreasing faster as a share of the municipal population compared to Atlanta, which is still majority Black.

But facts rarely matter when an agenda is in play.
If you read my statement clearly you will find there is no attempt to compare the two cities. It’s a statement that Atlanta is becoming less black which is a fact.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:11 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I am a person that wants to retire in either Atlanta or DC after my time in the Air Force, so I'll give you my viewpoint based on my familiarity with both cities.

Urbanity: DC is the more urban city by a good margin, Atlanta is improving in that department, but it's not there with DC.
Amenities: Assuming you're speaking for Black Americans, Atlanta is currently considered the black capital to most people. It's in a tier by itself when it comes to activities, events for blacks, although I would put DC in the top 5.
Occupation/Salary: Atlanta will give you the best bang for your buck...no other explanation needed.
Location: DC is in a better location and closer to other major cities.
Nightlife: Atlanta is better overall although I think DC's nightlife is more centralized.

Overall, I can't tell you which one to pick, but expect a better urban experience in DC. On the other hand, expect more excitement and a better COL in Atlanta.
Didnt know you were in Air Force.So to was I.Active and reserve. 20 years. I moved a bit before making Atlanta permanent.DC was always on my mind but the cold,cost and familiarity of the South made Atlanta more appealing.
I have family and friends in DC .I spent many weekends there when I would come down from Dover AFB.My twin cousins were my age and in the Army stationed at Ft.Meade and Aberdeen but living in Laurel. They introduce me to Bmore House and was introduce to the most ratchet places in Bmore and DC.lol
That was back in the 90's. I had a good time in Bmore and DC but I saw it become less fun before I left as it started gentrifying.
Another cousin was at Howard. She grew up in Rodchester. would hand out with her in her apartment right across from the Catholic University. Oh the memories of being young and free. Im 51 now but that was my 20s so very formative years as a young adult far from my small town in Georgia

Old 05-13-2020, 04:42 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
We went over this in a previous thread already, and you continue to move the goal post regarding DC.

SE DC, mainly Anacostia, and a few other Ward 8 neighborhoods, is by and large solidly walkable with solid transit. Searching the neighborhood name in Walkscore does little to display this picture. Now it's no where near the majority, but these ward 8 neighborhoods have "black professionals" living there. All in all though NW areas around HU /Shaw/ Columbia Heights and Ledroit Park etc. are where the OP should consider if he choose DC.
I think looking at this below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I think these stats for Ward 7 and Ward 8 are something to watch over the years as all the development is built:

Zip Code 20019 = 57,415 black people (93.14% Black)

-Professional Degrees = 239
-Masters Degrees = 1,872
-Bachelors Degrees = 3,278
-Associates Degrees = 2,239

Total Black Population Percentage with Some Form of Degree: 13%

Zip Code 20020 = 52,945 black people (94.36% Black)

-Professional Degrees = 321
-Masters Degrees = 2,445
-Bachelors Degrees = 3,434
-Associates Degrees = 2,079

Total Black Population Percentage with Some Form of Degree: 16%

Zip Code 20032 = 37,070 black people (89.87% Black)

-Professional Degrees = 191
-Masters Degrees = 1,375
-Bachelors Degrees = 2,370
-Associates Degrees = 1,328

Total Black Population Percentage with Some Form of Degree: 14%

Source
And looking at the developments being built throughout Ward 7 and Ward 8:

The walkscore for neighborhoods in ward 7 and ward 8 are about to change big time.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:50 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
I think looking at this below:

And looking at the developments being built throughout Ward 7 and Ward 8:

The walkscore for neighborhoods in ward 7 and ward 8 are about to change big time.
Absolutely I've seen it happening with my own two eyes.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:58 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Walkscore is not good for defining urban the way we on City-data describe urban. We tend to talk about buildings that come up the street and streetwalls with retail on the first floor without surface parking lots. Walkscore ranks shopping centers with surface parking as high walkscore because it's still retail.
Out of curiosity, what neighborhood does Walkscore assign a 98 to that in reality is full of shopping centers with surface parking?

Walkscore is not the end-all-be-all. It is, however, a useful shorthand tool for assessing the character of a neighborhood. There are probably ZERO neighborhoods with a 97 Walkscore where you see it in person and say "This isn't all that walkable." A 95 Walkscore is almost always indicative of "premium" urbanity (Center City Philly, Wicker Park, Dupont Circle, Back Bay, Park Slope, etc.). These are the types of neighborhoods that most urbanists would choose to live in if budget were not a restriction.

I never said anything below a 90 Walkscore was not urban or not walkable. In a different thread, I wanted to see how many Black people actually enjoy all of the benefits or urbanism (easy access to rapid transit, "lotsa lotsa bars," tons of amenities within walking distances, bike lanes, pedestrian vibrancy, etc.), so I figured neighborhoods with a 90 Walkscore would be a good start. I did not intend it to be this all-encompassing exercise where I capture every neighborhood in a city where Black people can accomplish chores on foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City