Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2021, 08:56 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
If we're using this criteria NYC growth was far more impressive than the DC growth.
It was
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 01:00 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Really? I'm on his side
I get it what that poster is saying, but I see that basing population growth on the existing population of a city/metro is more common.
His/her way isn't wrong at all, but I've personally never seen that metric used.

Old 09-02-2021, 02:26 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I get it what that poster is saying, but I see that basing population growth on the existing population of a city/metro is more common.
His/her way isn't wrong at all, but I've personally never seen that metric used.
It's more common to just refer to density statistics but expressly citing land area in association with population growth is a good way to paint a clearer picture and drive the point home conclusively.

Old 09-02-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's more common to just refer to density statistics but expressly citing land area in association with population growth is a good way to paint a clearer picture and drive the point home conclusively.
There's are structural density, and an architecural vernacular argument to be made as well. His/her way of looking at it is truely unique. I don't disagree with it.

Old 09-02-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
There's are structural density, and an architecural vernacular argument to be made as well. His/her way of looking at it is truely unique. I don't disagree with it.
Yeah structural density is very much the flip side of population density here. But I wouldn't necessarily say his way of viewing this is unique but it's usually mostly used when talking about a sprawling Sunbelt city on the verge of overtaking a more mature, constrained legacy city. Back when Phoenix overtook Philadelphia in city population, it was common to highlight the differences in land area/population density between the two. Similarly it comes up in Houston vs Chicago discussions. One of my favorite factoids is Charlotte and NYC cover the same amount of land area and the former has roughly a tenth of the population of the latter.

Old 09-02-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Yeah structural density is very much the flip side of population density here. But I wouldn't necessarily say his way of viewing this is unique but it's usually mostly used when talking about a sprawling Sunbelt city on the verge of overtaking a more mature, constrained legacy city. Back when Phoenix overtook Philadelphia in city population, it was common to highlight the differences in land area/population density between the two. Similarly it comes up in Houston vs Chicago discussions. One of my favorite factoids is Charlotte and NYC cover the same amount of land area and the former has roughly a tenth of the population of the latter.
I was going to use the same two cities as an example a couple upthread for the same exact reason. lol

I'm in Charlotte right now, and the amount of development going on is ridiculous.

Old 09-03-2021, 03:40 AM

Quote:
I was going to use the same two cities as an example a couple upthread for the same exact reason. lol

I'm in Charlotte right now, and the amount of development going on is ridiculous.
Yeah it's wild to see the city actually growing and developing into the next tier. The growth in SouthEnd in particular is crazy, and development is jumping the I-277 loop from Uptown into surrounding neighborhoods in all directions. I miss my second home.

Old 10-15-2021, 12:29 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Castleberry Hill is a former industrial district adjacent to downtown with lots of rehabbed lofts, warehouses, and such, in the shadow of Mercedes-Benz Arena. It's not a residential SFH streetcar suburb with a walkable commercial center that evolved to serve its residents like East Atlanta and L5P.

L5P isn't in the conversation here being fully gentrified and only 8% Black. East Atlanta, though, is also considered (almost) fully gentrified and about half its population is Black. I think it will remain more or less evenly integrated for the foreseeable future. Castleberry Hill is on the other end of the spectrum, being almost 80% Black but it only has about 1800 people and covers three or four different zip codes and Census tracts, so it's less a neighborhood and more a district.
I saw that Centennial Yards is moving forward downtown. What impact do you think it will have on Castleberry Hill and the AUC? Do you think it will impact the demographics of the neighborhoods and entertainment options?

The development is massive and very impressive:

Centennial Yards

Old 10-15-2021, 12:50 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
What's Atlanta doing with Turner Field redevelopment? There's huge potential there for some mega infill.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
What's Atlanta doing with Turner Field redevelopment? There's huge potential there for some mega infill.
https://urbanize.city/atlanta/neighborhood/summerhill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City