Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2021, 09:24 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times

Advertisements

Probably Atlanta; AA is more pronounced in Atl
And promoted much more than DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 11:20 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
DC and it's not even close. Forget metro; I'm talking about the city proper. Yeah it's more expensive(ATL is doing its best to reach its level tho) but you got so many choices where you don't need or want to drive. Even in the "hoods".

Old 10-17-2021, 05:03 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Nice infill. I see they are keeping the field for GA State home games. I imagined one day the stadium may come down for even more living space.

Old 10-17-2021, 06:41 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Nice infill. I see they are keeping the field for GA State home games. I imagined one day the stadium may come down for even more living space.
It’s iconic. It should stay, there’s more than enough space to develop Summerhill and Peoplestown.

Old 10-18-2021, 08:32 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The GA State football program is only a little over a decade old and retrofitting Turner Field was a more cost-efficient option, so it makes sense. The university is building a new basketball arena and convocation center nearby as well.

Atlanta is lucky to have the university as a downtown anchor and catalyst for revitalization.

Old 10-18-2021, 03:19 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
I know my focus in this thread has been about Ward 7 in DC and all the things happening there, but Ward 8 which is also east of the river has a massive downtown under construction right at the Congress Heights Metro Station that I feel deserves some attention. I had a chance to spend sometime there recently and the place is booming. Townhouses are under construction and a new office building has broken ground. Please see below for a rundown:

St. Elizabeth East Development (183-acre lot planned for 5 million sq. feet of development)

New Town Center Pic 1
New Town Center Pic 2
New Town Center Pic 3

"Parcel 15 sits in between the Metro station and the Entertainment and Sports Arena, the facility that opened last year and is home to the WNBA’s Mystics’ games, the NBA’s Wizards’ practices and other events.

The project goals are to develop a 567K SF mixed-use project on the piece of the campus known as Parcel 15, just west of the Congress Heights Metro station. The project would feature two residential buildings totaling 288 units, including 151 set aside as affordable.

The project will also include a 200K SF office building, a 125-room hotel and up to 50K SF of ground-floor retail. The buildings would surround a central public plaza.

Parcel 15 will serve as the gateway to this mixed-use and innovation-focused community. The Site comprises just over four acres. The Site’s position as the gateway to St. Elizabeths East, and prominence within the historic campus provide opportunities for new buildings that exhibit design excellence and creativity. Redevelopment of this parcel should encourage pedestrian traffic and activity, particularly with ground floor retail, and take maximum advantage of its proximity to public transportation and the Entertainment & Sports Arena immediately to the north of the site."

New 421 Unit Residential Building

"NDC is currently working on the design to construct a beautiful 7-story mixed-use building with 421 mixed-income apartment units and approximately 21,000 square feet of Class-A retail that will serve as a catalyst to revitalize the historic St. Elizabeth’s East Campus."

New Medical Office Building (Under Construction)

"Whitman-Walker will establish a new health center at St. Elizabeth’s East as part of the District’s bid to revitalize the Ward 8 campus and, its leaders hope, attract more of a health hub in a part of the city that sorely needs one.

The D.C. health nonprofit, which specializes in care for the city’s LGBTQ community, has signed a lease to occupy 116,000 square feet in a new building to be developed by District-based Redbrick. The building, slated for Parcel 17 — a vacant site on the southern edge of the campus — will be located between Alabama Avenue, Sycamore Drive and 12th Street SE near the Congress Heights Metro station.

The six-story building will house a pharmacy on the ground floor, where both the center and system will also share space for programming and bring on a community partner. Whitman-Walker Health will occupy three floors for primary care, behavioral health services, dental and substance misuse treatment services. And Whitman-Walker Health System will take up two floors for its institute, which includes the group’s work in education, policy and research."

District Towns at St. Elizabeth East (Selling)

A vibrant community is blossoming in one of D.C.’s most highly-anticipated neighborhoods. District Towns at St. Elizabeth's East offers spacious garage townhomes with modern interiors and classic curb appeal from the mid $500s and lower $600s. Steps from Congress Heights Metro, you can access the best of D.C., plus walk to community events, sports games and more within the neighborhood. Wide sidewalks and green spaces line the streets, and planned development promises additional retail and dining.

St. Elizabeths East Gateway Pavilion (Delivered)

"Located in the Congress Heights neighborhood of D.C., across the Anacostia River from the pageantry of the National Mall, St. Elizabeths is the site of a Civil War–era psychiatric hospital. The pastoral East Campus is now slated for development into a mixed-use community, and the East Gateway Pavilion is the first move to bring vibrant activity back to the site. Designed by the Washington, D.C., office of Davis Brody Bond, the 16,000-square-foot pavilion has dining spaces, a community roof, and a market, and hosts cultural events in the district. The steel-frame structure’s butterfly roof, edged in 184 high-performance concrete panels, doubles as shelter for the open-air market below and occupiable green space for visitors, and boasts an overlook point for the campus, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places."

New St. Elizabeths East Hospital

"D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser championed a partnership she says will bring high-quality medical care to the new hospital at St. Elizabeths East.

The partnership, which has the support of several local leaders and organizations that include The George Washington University Hospital and the GW School of Medicine and Health Sciences, will provide comprehensive health care service for adults at the 136-bed facility as well as two new urgent/ambulatory facilities to open in Wards 7 and 8.

GWU will also provide physician leadership and medical direction for all health care activities, according to Bowser’s office, which added that the new hospital will feature a wide spectrum of medical services that will include maternal and child health, behavioral health, primary care, and advanced surgical services."

St. Elizabeths East Entertainment and Sports Arena

Old 10-27-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
You keep saying this and Im not saying I know better as I dont but i posted several articles a few poast back addressing this and you have said nothing about . They were basically contradicting to your assertions that its mostly new black urban professionals moving in based on what you say your friends are doing and not data.

Now in Atlanta in English Ave its like mix from what I saw recently, but in areas like the Westend its more of the regular old displacement gentrification
Black homeownership in Wards 7 and 8 has been on the rise.

I was reading this article this morning and thought about this discussion.

Old 11-10-2021, 05:01 PM

Major news out of DC yesterday which has a direct impact on Wards 7 and Ward 8 in DC. The following black owned restaurants are opening east of the river in Ward 7 and Ward 8:

DCity Smokehouse, HalfSmoke, And More Will Open In Wards 7 And 8 With New Grant Funding

Ward 7 DC

-HalfSmoke: A restaurant that serves up D.C.’s signature half-smokes and craft cocktails. Two new locations at Skyland Town Center and on Minnesota Avenue in Ward 7.

-Highland Café: a local café. New location in the Penn Branch neighborhood in Ward 7.

-MLK Deli: serving traditional sandwiches. New location in Deanwood in Ward 7.

-Roots 657 Café: an eat-in and take-out café and market. New location at Skyland in Ward 7.

-Sala Thai: a Thai restaurant. New location in the Hill East neighborhood of Ward 7.

-Fresh Food Factory: a grocery store specializing in healthy food. New location in Kenilworth in Ward 7.

Ward 8 DC

-DCity Smokehouse: a Black-owned business serving smokehouse BBQ. New location will be in Anacostia, Ward 8.

-Sweet Tooth: a gourmet specialty cakes and pastries bakery. New location in Anacostia in Ward 8.

Old 11-11-2021, 10:30 AM

1,376 posts, read 928,163 times
Since Midtown and West Midtown are booming with construction cranes everywhere and many proposals, I hope downtown gets a boost.

https://centennialyards.com/ Hopefully this will be a catalyst for a downtown boom.

Old 11-15-2021, 08:41 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Major news out of DC yesterday which has a direct impact on Wards 7 and Ward 8 in DC. The following black owned restaurants are opening east of the river in Ward 7 and Ward 8:

DCity Smokehouse, HalfSmoke, And More Will Open In Wards 7 And 8 With New Grant Funding

Ward 7 DC

-HalfSmoke: A restaurant that serves up D.C.’s signature half-smokes and craft cocktails. Two new locations at Skyland Town Center and on Minnesota Avenue in Ward 7.

-Highland Café: a local café. New location in the Penn Branch neighborhood in Ward 7.

-MLK Deli: serving traditional sandwiches. New location in Deanwood in Ward 7.

-Roots 657 Café: an eat-in and take-out café and market. New location at Skyland in Ward 7.

-Sala Thai: a Thai restaurant. New location in the Hill East neighborhood of Ward 7.

-Fresh Food Factory: a grocery store specializing in healthy food. New location in Kenilworth in Ward 7.

Ward 8 DC

-DCity Smokehouse: a Black-owned business serving smokehouse BBQ. New location will be in Anacostia, Ward 8.

-Sweet Tooth: a gourmet specialty cakes and pastries bakery. New location in Anacostia in Ward 8.
A new Good Foods Markets supermarket opened up in SW DC as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City