Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 05:03 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Exactly. Anywhere in the Perimeter is cool.

And even well beyond the Perimeter, as you know, but yes, we are talking about urban living/urban neighborhoods on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 05:07 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
This is very true.

NYC (Harlem and parts of BK) may be the best example of black professionals living in walkable, urban, transit oriented neighborhoods. Maybe some Chicago neighborhoods may be similar?
DC's Ward 7 and 8 may qualify in the future as they develop further.
Not sure about Chicago. Harlem is by far the best option if you want a bunch of Black-owned establishments in a small geographic footprint (or at least establishments where the patronage will be anywhere from 40-100% Black). There are at least 10 places on the stretch of FDB between 116th and 125th alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HC4R6X4TRw

Old 05-13-2020, 05:15 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Seems like I have a tough decision to make. I love Atlanta but at the same time I want to see something new and different and DC seems like a good place to experience that especially with the black community there. I have a ton of time to research and hopefully, I can get an internship in DC next year to test the experience. Can anyone give me detail about the area around Columbia Heights? That's near Howard U and looks like a dope neighborhood but I'm not finding reasonable rents there (at least from my Atlanta mindset, I know DC jobs pay more).
Atlanta will be here to DC. Its a great city where you wont find the same irbanity in Atlanta. Sounds like you are apprehensive .
I know its a scary thought being away when you are young and starting out but you will look back on your iife and always have that memory. Its harder to leave the more comfortable and older you get.

When I was away from Atlanta it made me appreciate what I didnt have in other cities.
I do find DC less integrated though as I think about the things i forgot I didnt like.Areas like Adams Morgan that seemed more white bread than any place in the city of Atlanta.I guess its equivalent would be Virginia -Highlands.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:58 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
If you read my statement clearly you will find there is no attempt to compare the two cities. It’s a statement that Atlanta is becoming less black which is a fact.
But the explicit purpose of this thread is to compare the two cities; the OP said exactly that in the thread's very first post. So yes, DC's decreasing Black population share--which is happening a bit more rapidly than Atlanta's--would be an even more relevant fact if that's your entire basis for recommending one city over the other.

But again, your "recommendation" has nothing to do with a complete set of facts, now does it?

Old 05-13-2020, 06:22 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Not sure about Chicago. Harlem is by far the best option if you want a bunch of Black-owned establishments in a small geographic footprint (or at least establishments where the patronage will be anywhere from 40-100% Black). There are at least 10 places on the stretch of FDB between 116th and 125th alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HC4R6X4TRw
Yes this exists in Chicago too, in the near south side area, from beginning in Bronzeville down to Hyde Park, this is the "black professional" part of the city, and it's definitely there. Hyde Park is home to Barrack Obama.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:27 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,650,170 times
Quote:
But the explicit purpose of this thread is to compare the two cities; the OP said exactly that in the thread's very first post. So yes, DC's decreasing Black population share--which is happening a bit more rapidly than Atlanta's--would be an even more relevant fact if that's your entire basis for recommending one city over the other.

But again, your "recommendation" has nothing to do with a complete set of facts, now does it?
Apparently you are continuing to struggle with understanding my statement. Sorry, I can’t help you understand any better.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Apparently you are continuing to struggle with understanding my statement. Sorry, I can’t help you understand any better.
I understand perfectly well that your statement was deficient according to the explicit purpose of this thread as expressed by the OP and that you actually defeated your own argument by using a shrinking Black share of the population as a basis for your recommendation.

All anyone has to do is check out your posting history when it comes to your typical cut-and-paste response in threads like this to see what your agenda and intent is all about. The OP's criteria for a place to live could have fit Atlanta to a t and you still would've recommended some other city.

It's stll the Black mecca and the city most known as such in America whether you like it or not. On top of that, it's gaining an increasing number of Black immigrants as well.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I understand perfectly well that your statement was deficient according to the explicit purpose of this thread as expressed by the OP and that you actually defeated your own argument by using a shrinking Black share of the population as a basis for your recommendation.

All anyone has to do is check out your posting history when it comes to your typical cut-and-paste response in threads like this to see what your agenda and intent is all about. The OP's criteria for a place to live could have fit Atlanta to a t and you still would've recommended some other city.

It's stll the Black mecca and the city most known as such in America whether you like it or not.
Lol my side is hurting. No, you still don’t understand.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Lol my side is hurting. No, you still don’t understand.
That pain in your side might be appendictis or a cracked rib so you might want to get it checked out.

You have no real interest in helping the OP make an informed choice; you know it and I know it. If you know nothing about DC and can't recommend any neighborhoods that meet his criteria, then you aren't contributing anything at all to the discussion.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
You have no real interest in helping the OP make an informed choice; you know it and I know it. If you know nothing about DC and can't recommend any neighborhoods that meet his criteria, then you aren't contributing anything at all to the discussion.
Lol I make a statement about Atlanta and you single me out. It’s hilarious yet disturbing how you track me down on this site. Trolling at its finest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City