Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2022, 07:14 PM

226 posts, read 132,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
With the exception of D.C. and Boston why are those cities you mentioned losing so many Black people than? Here they are building infrastructure that can only benefit us yet when I visit those cities I don't see many of US living in those particular enclaves.

Take for instance, Philly. That's the last city I just visited a couple of months ago. I'm a walker, I love urbanity even though I live in Houston I'd prefer to walk pretty much everywhere. Me and my Wife stayed in Rittenhouse square and pretty much walked everywhere, used an uber or septa. One thing I noticed right off the bat is that Philly has a lot of black people but they don't live in the urban areas with high quality of life and full of professionalisms. In LA, you can forget about seeing a plethora of Black people in places that are becoming more urban. And make no mistake a lot of America's premier cities that you speak so highly about are in a state of decline too along with these declining sprawling burbs.

In my opinion, Atlanta is a lot cleaner than cities like NYC,LA,SF, and especially Philly. Now cities like Chicago, Boston and DC seem pretty clean but imo Atlanta doesn't look like a blighted declining city. Even their burbs have a bit of pop quirk to it.

What you want is urbanity, vibrancy and walkability. That's perfectly fine. But I think the vast majority of Black Americans moving out of those cities don't think the urbanity, vibrancy and walkability are good enough to remain in those cities.

I will say I do agree that Atlanta's (and DC) middle class black population is unmatched in the states. That's something most cities lack, you go to most black neighborhoods in cities its straight poverty, but in these two cities they're tons of black folks in nice neighborhoods living life. I do see more blacks in professional positions in ATL/DC than other cities.

I do disagree that these cities are "in decline". All the cities I named are growing (per the 2020 census), even Chicago which has been declining for years. Chicago, Boston, nor DC look like blighted declining cities what are you talking about lmao. I'd say Chicago is cleaner than Atlanta, have you seen Atlanta's downtown? it's a dump. Chicago's downtown is pretty much squeaky clean for a major city (especially compared to NY/LA) and even the ghetto neighborhoods are relatively clean with good housing stock because Chicago has the largest alley system of any city in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 06:51 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyfygiu View Post
I will say I do agree that Atlanta's (and DC) middle class black population is unmatched in the states. That's something most cities lack, you go to most black neighborhoods in cities its straight poverty...
That's not true really. In most cities, solidly Black middle-class neighborhoods are common but there's more often than not a quick transition to working-class/poor Black neighborhoods. Atlanta and DC simply have more and larger solidly Black middle-class neighborhoods as well as a critical mass of upper middle-class/affluent Black neighborhoods as well.

Old 02-07-2022, 12:14 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Broccoli City Festival returns to Ward 7 in DC for their 2022 festival. The festival hosts #BROCCOLICON which includes interactive programs, presentations, skill building activities, and exclusive networking receptions. The focus is on Black wellness, financial literacy, professional/career development, technology, startups, and small business.

It will be the first time the Broccoli City Festival has taken place since COVID. The festival is walking distance from Downtown Ward 7 (Northeast Heights/Benning, River Terrace, and Parkside) on the RFK campus.

Broccoli City Presents: Black Change Weekend May 6-8th 2022

The largest annual weekend mobilizing young people, companies, and community organizations to create a more RACIALLY EQUITABLE world for black Millennials and Gen Z’ers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBYj2fxPOpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM9689NgCAc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrb2NtTBhsQ

Old 02-07-2022, 12:46 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Great opportunity for SW Atlanta!

MARTA unveils bus rapid transit plans for Southwest Atlanta

Transit agency says cheaper BRT is preferable to light rail for Campbellton Road route. One biggie is that BRT could be implemented three years sooner than light rail—opening sometime in 2028—along Campbellton Road, serving an estimated 6,000 riders daily. Plans call for nine transit stops, five miles of bike lanes, and seven miles of sidewalks alongside BRT lanes, too.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:36 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Great opportunity for SW Atlanta!

MARTA unveils bus rapid transit plans for Southwest Atlanta

Transit agency says cheaper BRT is preferable to light rail for Campbellton Road route. One biggie is that BRT could be implemented three years sooner than light rail—opening sometime in 2028—along Campbellton Road, serving an estimated 6,000 riders daily. Plans call for nine transit stops, five miles of bike lanes, and seven miles of sidewalks alongside BRT lanes, too.
IMO, any transit organization that says an alternative can be accomplished earlier/easier/cheaper is not a good thing IMO.

I rather it take longer and be more expensive if that means the most optimal routing and form of transit with the biggest benefit to the public is is chosen.

Old 02-07-2022, 03:00 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
With the exception of D.C. and Boston why are those cities you mentioned losing so many Black people than? Here they are building infrastructure that can only benefit us yet when I visit those cities I don't see many of US living in those particular enclaves.

Take for instance, Philly. That's the last city I just visited a couple of months ago. I'm a walker, I love urbanity even though I live in Houston I'd prefer to walk pretty much everywhere. Me and my Wife stayed in Rittenhouse square and pretty much walked everywhere, used an uber or septa. One thing I noticed right off the bat is that Philly has a lot of black people but they don't live in the urban areas with high quality of life and full of professionalisms. In LA, you can forget about seeing a plethora of Black people in places that are becoming more urban. And make no mistake a lot of America's premier cities that you speak so highly about are in a state of decline too along with these declining sprawling burbs.

In my opinion, Atlanta is a lot cleaner than cities like NYC, LA,SF, and especially Philly. Now cities like Chicago, Boston and DC seem pretty clean but imo Atlanta doesn't look like a blighted declining city. Even their burbs have a bit of pop quirk to it.

What you want is urbanity, vibrancy and walkability. That's perfectly fine. But I think the vast majority of Black Americans moving out of those cities don't think the urbanity, vibrancy and walkability are good enough to remain in those cities.
Because most black people really arent that 'jazzed' about urbanity and walkability for reasons I touched on a little earlier. It's just not appealing to us as a people by and large apparently.

DC and Boston have nicer neighborhoods and salaries that allow people to "make it" especially DC. Boston has safety and comfort that *most* those other cities don't offer. DC and Boston also have super well-rounded economies.

But yes even in DC but especially Boston black people don't live in the places that are most urban and well-developed. Way way too expensive. I find there are fewer black people willing to put off kids into their late 30s as there are whites or Asians and thus the demand for highly urban living is automatically a bit lighter.

Atlanta definitely doesn't look like a blighted declining city.

Old 02-07-2022, 03:13 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
So now in 2022, what are the premiere urban neighborhoods in each that have a plurality or near plurality of black people?

Old 02-08-2022, 08:48 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Washington and Atlanta are easily the two best cities for African Americans in the country, but when we speak of successful Black areas, they are mainly suburbs. I am planning on working in the government field when I graduate college and want to live in a walkable, urban, transit-connected neighborhood in one of these cities. This is a thread to compare urban districts in these two cities with significant African American populations (I'm from Atlanta so I'm used to higher black populations but I'll set the lowest percentage at 30%). Which city is better for Black urban living? Which has better transit access to black neighborhoods? What about amenities?
As a Black male who value urban living, I wouldn't consider Atlanta. DC is definitely the choice between the two cities. I'm not sure what neighborhoods matches your criteria but there are plenty of options. If not DC check out other cities on the east coast or midwest.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:13 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
IMO, any transit organization that says an alternative can be accomplished earlier/easier/cheaper is not a good thing IMO.

I rather it take longer and be more expensive if that means the most optimal routing and form of transit with the biggest benefit to the public is is chosen.
It said BRT could be implemented earlier than LRT, not earlier than scheduled.

Old 02-10-2022, 02:24 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyfygiu View Post
I will say I do agree that Atlanta's (and DC) middle class black population is unmatched in the states. That's something most cities lack, you go to most black neighborhoods in cities its straight poverty, but in these two cities they're tons of black folks in nice neighborhoods living life. I do see more blacks in professional positions in ATL/DC than other cities.

I do disagree that these cities are "in decline". All the cities I named are growing (per the 2020 census), even Chicago which has been declining for years. [b]Chicago, Boston, nor DC look like blighted declining cities what are you talking about lmao. I'd say Chicago is cleaner than Atlanta, have you seen Atlanta's downtown? it's a dump. Chicago's downtown is pretty much squeaky clean for a major city (especially compared to NY/LA) and even the ghetto neighborhoods are relatively clean with good housing stock because Chicago has the largest alley system of any city in the world.[b]
You should re-read my post. I specifically said

Quote:
In my opinion, Atlanta is a lot cleaner than cities like NYC, LA,SF, and especially Philly. Now cities like Chicago, Boston and DC seem pretty clean but imo Atlanta doesn't look like a blighted declining city. Even their burbs have a bit of pop quirk to it.
This is clearly what I stated. Chicago seems like a pretty clean city. Chicago, DC, Boston are major legacy cities that have remained pretty clean throughout the years. Can't say the same for other cities you mentioned. As far as downtown Atlanta, meh parts of downtown Atlanta looks like a dump and Atlanta has it's very blighted areas (as does Chicago too) but the majority of Atlanta's MSA either looks spanking brand new, heavily beautifully green topography, rural or bland suburbia. But for the majority of Atlanta's MSA even in the city it's not a dumpy looking city. And I rarely hear people who visit Atlanta call it dumpy looking. Maybe suburban looking but dumpy outside of parts of downtown and the obvious hoods don't strike it as a dumpy looking area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Although I agree with the rest of your post, I strongly disagree with this point in particular. It's way too easy for people to say certain decisions were short-sighted when they have the benefit of hindsight nearly 80-100 years after the fact. The fact of the matter is that Black folks realized actual substantial gains during the Great Migration, especially the second wave during WWII when we didn't have to worry about competition from immigrants. The only thing we misjudged was the nature of racism in American society and how pervasive, irretractable, and adaptive it was and still is.
And that's why it was short-sighted. Don't get me wrong I don't fault our ancestors for doing what they felt was right at the time. But look at the state Black America is in now especially to those particular cities we migrated to in droves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Because most black people really arent that 'jazzed' about urbanity and walkability for reasons I touched on a little earlier. It's just not appealing to us as a people by and large apparently.

DC and Boston have nicer neighborhoods and salaries that allow people to "make it" especially DC. Boston has safety and comfort that *most* those other cities don't offer. DC and Boston also have super well-rounded economies.

But yes even in DC but especially Boston black people don't live in the places that are most urban and well-developed. Way way too expensive. I find there are fewer black people willing to put off kids into their late 30s as there are whites or Asians and thus the demand for highly urban living is automatically a bit lighter.

Atlanta definitely doesn't look like a blighted declining city.

I didn't see your reasons earlier so excuse my ignorance but are we not as jazzed due to decades of structural racism? Case and point at one point time Houston's 5th Ward was a very walkable neighborhood. It was the epitome of urbanity. The same for a neighborhood such as Deep Ellum in Dallas when it was predominately Black. Then these cities just like most major cities in America built highways that cut right in the middle of these bustling urban communities and pretty much regulated these communities to be less depending on urbanity and walkability. Of course the following generation didn't inherit those communities in it's heyday cause it was no longer there. Cities in the Northeast had the luxury of being built primarily before the automobile industry really took off so urban black neighborhoods there didn't take as big of a hit as those in the south. Now I don't know if that was one of your reasons but I think this could explain why Black Americans tend to approach urbanity and walkability differently than other groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City