Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2022, 04:42 PM

94 posts, read 61,737 times

Advertisements

Lmao right. West End is THE GHETTO and Cascade is straight up suburbia in the city. Looks no different from Stonecrest or Henry County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 06:11 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grin123 View Post
Cascade is not urban AT ALL. it ranges from semi rural to regular suburbia, the difference being its filled with a bunch of upper middle class black folks.
Calm down. I said I didn't know what your criteria was for "urban" or "thriving." You're still new around these parts and I don't know how you utilize such terms with their various connotations/shades of meaning and I won't make any assumptions outright.

That said, Cascade meets the definition of thriving and it's within the city limits of Atlanta (which was possibly how you could have been utilizing the term "urban").

Quote:
the West End is THE HOOD. Is this suppose to be urban/thriving?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7383...7i16384!8i8192
The West End is a mixed bag and has parts that aren't unreasonably far from qualifying as such. I'd expect someone familiar with Atlanta would know that but it's also pretty clear that you have an agenda too.

Anyway, there are patches of urbanity in the West End; I'm well aware it's not uniformly...anything really, but it's worth mentioning. Had you chosen another spot less than a mile on that same road from the Streetview location you selected, we'd see this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7381...7i16384!8i8192

Or on the other end going towards Westview:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7437...7i16384!8i8192

And this isn't a neighborhood I'd consider the hood, but YMMV: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7358...7i16384!8i8192

And I already know it's not a carbon copy of Bronzeville so you can save that rant, and that's not what I'm arguing anyway.

Quote:
They've been saying they're gonna redevelop the west end mall but plans keep falling through.
This is true, but the Lee + White redevelopment project is progressing--and I know it's not a traditionally urban project but it's rather an industrial adaptive reuse development next to the Westside Beltline trail.

Quote:
Nothing like Bronzeville or Hyde Park.
Yes, there's nothing whatsoever in the city limits of Atlanta that's built or laid out like those two Chicago neighborhoods but I don't think anyone ever claimed otherwise so I'm not sure what the point was in stating the obvious.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 03-10-2022 at 06:22 PM..

Old 03-10-2022, 06:16 PM

Dude....give me more credit that this. I wasn't addressing my post to you; we have a common understanding of what "urban" generally means around these parts. This grin fella just got here and I didn't know how he was using the term with its various connotations. It seems like both of y'all just skipped right over the part where I explicitly stated "I'm not sure what's your criteria for thriving or urban..." I wasn't just saying that just to say it as I really didn't know.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:29 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Lmao right. West End is THE GHETTO and Cascade is straight up suburbia in the city. Looks no different from Stonecrest or Henry County.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Dude....give me more credit that this. I wasn't addressing my post to you; we have a common understanding of what "urban" generally means around these parts. This grin fella just got here and I didn't know how he was using the term with its various connotations. It seems like both of y'all just skipped right over the part where I explicitly stated "I'm not sure what's your criteria for thriving or urban..." I wasn't just saying that just to say it as I really didn't know.
Yea all that’s fine and cool. but I mean how or what is urban. What’s your criteria? I don’t think there’s a common understanding. I didn’t cherry pick shots or anything I’m asking. Why is this urban? Is this multi family housing made to look like SFH or something? I asked about the west end months ago and someone said people walk a lot. But that’s it.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea all that’s fine and cool. but I mean how or what is urban. What’s your criteria? I don’t think there’s a common understanding. I didn’t cherry pick shots or anything I’m asking. Why is this urban? Is this multi family housing made to look like SFH or something? I asked about the west end months ago and someone said people walk a lot. But that’s it.
So after all this time we've been dialoguing on this forum, you haven't picked up on the fact that you and I use the term "urban" in the same specialized sense (i.e., structurally dense, walkable development with zero lot lines) which is also how most of the active posters here also use it? You and I have never had any confusion arise when discussing what's urban and what's not because we have a common understanding and usage of the term. I wasn't calling the West End or Cascade urban in the sense that we commonly use it in this forum, but I didn't know if grin123 was using it in that same sense--hence, I gave the disclaimer about not knowing which criteria he used to define the term. There are posters on this forum that use the term within its broader context which is basically the simple dictionary meaning: "of or relating to a city." For such folks, anything within the city limits of a regional principal city qualifies as urban more or less. And they aren't wrong to use the term that way but that's not as common around these parts.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:01 PM

I don’t see any criteria that’d be urban in those neighborhoods. Large setbacks and not particularly walkable. It seems to be a situation where people walk because they are low income not because Rita preferable to walk. It’s not structurally dense nor did it have primarily zero lot lines. Calling it urban is a definite stretch. Especially cascade as that almost an exurban development pattern.

But I guess it’s urban because it’s in a city.? That doesn’t seem like a very useful definition.not tryna nitpick it’s just those neighborhoods gave me nothing.

I still think ATL is fundamentally black suburbia and pretty confident Atlanta is the most suburban black populations of any metro in the us. And it’s even reflected in the city.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:19 PM

94 posts, read 61,737 times
Quote:
I don’t see any criteria that’d be urban in those neighborhoods. Large setbacks and not particularly walkable. It seems to be a situation where people walk because they are low income not because Rita preferable to walk. It’s not structurally dense nor did it have primarily zero lot lines. Calling it urban is a definite stretch. Especially cascade as that almost an exurban development pattern.

But I guess it’s urban because it’s in a city.? That doesn’t seem like a very useful definition.not tryna nitpick it’s just those neighborhoods gave me nothing.

I still think ATL is fundamentally black suburbia and pretty confident Atlanta is the most suburban black populations of any metro in the us. And it’s even reflected in the city.

Yup. I made simple clear points and he went off me lol oh well. Nobody who has left Atlanta and traveled to actual dense urban cities would call the West end "urban", let alone Cascade. Yeah it has a couple front facing retail stores, thats it.

This is what I consider urban

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9129...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7995...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.8141...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0159...8i8192!5m1!1e2

And you're 100% right when you say the people there walk because they're low income, not because they want to lmao.

The only area I'd call dense in Atlanta outside of the CBD is the Beltline/PCM area, downtown Decatur, and maybeeeee West Midtown (Howell Mill is an absolute disaster and there's no transit options but the development is dense there), thats it. And none of these 3 are majority black or even close. The Betline area is filled with Cali/NY yuppie transplants bringing their fat salaries which let them pay for $2600 studios there.

Everything else is sprawl.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:53 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Cascade is not urban AT ALL. it ranges from semi rural to regular suburbia, the difference being its filled with a bunch of upper middle class black folks.

the West End is THE HOOD. Is this suppose to be urban/thriving?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7383...7i16384!8i8192

They've been saying they're gonna redevelop the west end mall but plans keep falling through.

Nothing like Bronzeville or Hyde Park.
I wouldn't call West End completely HOOD. There's some Black middle class homes there just with a mix of lower income households as well. But I wouldn't consider the area Urban or Thriving. I don't think there's any upper middle class black community that's urban and thriving in the city of Atlanta. What you do have in Atlanta is a Black presence that's undeniably present in the most urban areas of Atlanta via Black businesses and predominately Black social settings.

Btw, Hyde Park has more White people than Black people now so I don't think you can classify that as a middle class thriving Black community. Mixed for sure.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Redlionjr;63062371. I don't think there's any upper middle class black community that's urban and thriving in the city of Atlanta. What you do have in Atlanta is a Black presence that's undeniably present in the most urban areas of Atlanta via Black businesses and predominately Black social settings.
Are there any truly black urban neighborhoods in ATL? Regardless of class? Not like a lowrise housing project either. But more like dense shotgun/bungalows homes with an AnP, a bike shop, a gym, some bus lines, maybe a MARTA stop.

It's definitely true Atlanta has a big black presence downtown and midtown for the reasons you stated. I remember that and I see that online.

Old 03-11-2022, 01:12 PM

18 posts, read 8,490 times
Quote:
Are there any truly black urban neighborhoods in ATL? Regardless of class? Not like a lowrise housing project either. But more like dense shotgun/bungalows homes with an AnP, a bike shop, a gym, some bus lines, maybe a MARTA stop.

It's definitely true Atlanta has a big black presence downtown and midtown for the reasons you stated. I remember that and I see that online.
As a previous poster mentioned most black people in Atlanta are not seeking intown urban living and prefer the inner burbs to intown living. The closest neighborhood intown you could say that meets your qualifications imo is Kirkwood/East Atlanta Village maybe but those are vastly changing in demographics if not already at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City