Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2022, 01:53 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Are there any truly black urban neighborhoods in ATL? Regardless of class? Not like a lowrise housing project either. But more like dense shotgun/bungalows homes with an AnP, a bike shop, a gym, some bus lines, maybe a MARTA stop.

It's definitely true Atlanta has a big black presence downtown and midtown for the reasons you stated. I remember that and I see that online.
What KnightnDaye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightnDaye View Post
As a previous poster mentioned most black people in Atlanta are not seeking intown urban living and prefer the inner burbs to intown living. The closest neighborhood intown you could say that meets your qualifications imo is Kirkwood/East Atlanta Village maybe but those are vastly changing in demographics if not already at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 03:36 PM

94 posts, read 61,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightnDaye View Post
As a previous poster mentioned most black people in Atlanta are not seeking intown urban living and prefer the inner burbs to intown living. The closest neighborhood intown you could say that meets your qualifications imo is Kirkwood/East Atlanta Village maybe but those are vastly changing in demographics if not already at this point.

Lol maybe in 2005. Kirkwood/East Atlanta is basically 99% white hipster yuppies now. But yeah you're right its sad, I feel like Chicago, DC, New York, and maybe Philly have the only thriving urban black hoods in the country.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:02 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grin123 View Post
Lol maybe in 2005. Kirkwood/East Atlanta is basically 99% white hipster yuppies now. But yeah you're right its sad, I feel like Chicago, DC, New York, and maybe Philly have the only thriving urban black hoods in the country.
Definitely Boston. I’d say most of the black population live in a thriving urban black hood. It certainly not particularly rough and it’s certainly urban.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-11-2022 at 05:20 PM..

Old 03-11-2022, 11:46 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Definitely Boston. I’d say most of the black population live in a thriving urban black hood. It certainly not particularly rough and it’s certainly urban.
Are we talking thriving urban black hoods or thriving urban middle class black neighborhoods?

Old 03-12-2022, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Are we talking thriving urban black hoods or thriving urban middle class black neighborhoods?
Can a hood really be thriving without a middle class aspect? To me when he said hood I just looked at it like neighborhood- not ghetto. Either way Boston probably has both. Not as large as those cities but it’s still a pretty significant area of middle class (Hyde Park/ Southern Mattapan/ Dorchester) and hood (‘Upper’ South End/Roxbury/Northern Mattapan/Dorchester) -that’s for certain.

The density of population(14,000 people per square city wide- but higher in Roxbury and Dorchester ~19,000 ppsqmi), black household income($50k on average circa 2019), and population(25% city wide but much higher in DRMHP) basically make that a reality.

DRM/HP are large neighborhoods encompassing about 17 square miles and accounting for ~220,000 people and contain multiple neighborhoods due to their size. Readville, Fairmount, Sunnyside, Cleary Square, HBlock, Elm Hill, Grove Hall, Lower Roxbury, Egleston, Bowdoin/Geneva, West of Washington, Fields Corner, Ashmont Hill, Peabody Square, Franklin Hill, Mattapan Heights etc etc

All are plurality (44-48% black) or majority (50-78%) black. portions of them are hood, portions are middle class, some portions are more white than black…but they’re pretty small and on the far edges of each of those neighborhoods.

Theyre urban is all- bodegas, trains, walk up retail, commercial districts,pre-war apartments, trike deckers etc etc. That’s my piece, not trying to tangent too much here.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:16 AM

Oh Baltimore’s Reservoir Hill, Charles village, and Barclay also would count.

Old 03-12-2022, 02:16 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Cascade is not urban AT ALL. it ranges from semi rural to regular suburbia, the difference being its filled with a bunch of upper middle class black folks.

the West End is THE HOOD. Is this suppose to be urban/thriving?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7383...7i16384!8i8192

They've been saying they're gonna redevelop the west end mall but plans keep falling through.

Nothing like Bronzeville or Hyde Park.
I would say once the Westend Mall redevelopment goes through, it could create a critical mass large enough to start changing the surrounding neighborhood. I could see the urbanity of the neighborhood increasing dramatically around the MARTA station. The question isn’t really whether it will be urban in my opinion, it’s more about “who” will live there. I think like other people have been saying, Black people in search of an urban environment don’t move to Atlanta in large numbers.

The Atlanta metro area seems to attract the type of Black people in search of space, large yards, and low density where parking is cheap and easily accessible. They don’t value walkable urban areas where shopping can be done on foot.

I think the Westend area around the MARTA station needs to go on a road diet. That’s probably the biggest issue with many rural undeveloped Atlanta neighborhoods. The streets are wider than they need to be.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 03-12-2022 at 02:25 PM..

Old 03-12-2022, 02:37 PM

94 posts, read 61,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I would say once the Westend Mall redevelopment goes through, it could create a critical mass large enough to start changing the surrounding neighborhood. I could see the urbanity of the neighborhood increasing dramatically around the MARTA station. The question isn’t really whether it will be urban in my opinion, it’s more about “who” will live there. I think like other people have been saying, Black people in search of an urban environment don’t move to Atlanta in large numbers.

The Atlanta metro area seems to attract the type of Black people in search of space, large yards, and low density where parking is cheap and easily accessible. They don’t value walkable urban areas where shopping can be done on foot.

I think the Westend area around the MARTA station needs to go on a road diet. That’s probably the biggest issue with many rural undeveloped Atlanta neighborhoods. The streets are wider than they need to be.

Eh, Atlanta isn't Chicago/New York/SF/Boston/DC. I don't think development follows train lines nor would that have much of a big influence. The fastest growing area is the beltline area and that has zero marta access. And yeah "IF" the west end ever does get cleaned up, it won't be black folks there. will be white hipster yuppies like every other gentrified hood. If you want black urbanity, do not look in Atlanta.

Old 03-13-2022, 09:44 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
I don’t see any criteria that’d be urban in those neighborhoods. Large setbacks and not particularly walkable. It seems to be a situation where people walk because they are low income not because Rita preferable to walk. It’s not structurally dense nor did it have primarily zero lot lines. Calling it urban is a definite stretch. Especially cascade as that almost an exurban development pattern.

But I guess it’s urban because it’s in a city.? That doesn’t seem like a very useful definition.not tryna nitpick it’s just those neighborhoods gave me nothing.

I still think ATL is fundamentally black suburbia and pretty confident Atlanta is the most suburban black populations of any metro in the us. And it’s even reflected in the city.
You're still missing my point bro and I'm not sure how to explain it to you further. But for starters, what's the definition of urban as found in most dictionaries? Many people use it in that sense but the way we tend to use it in these forums is typically not.

Old 03-13-2022, 10:06 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Yup. I made simple clear points and he went off me lol oh well. Nobody who has left Atlanta and traveled to actual dense urban cities would call the West end "urban", let alone Cascade. Yeah it has a couple front facing retail stores, thats it.
Yes many of them would (and for the record, I left Atlanta in 2015 for south Jersey in the Philadelphia metro area and from there moved to the DC area) because most people use the term as popularly defined. The West End fits all of the definitions of the term but pay special attention to the third, fourth, and fifth meanings here: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/urban

If you think there are folks who have lived in dense Northeastern cities all their lives that don't use the term in those ways, then you are entirely too deep within your bubble and have little knowledge of how people commonly talk in the real world.

I don't know why that's the most difficult thing for so many urban purists on this forum to grasp. The definition you prefer isn't even the most common one but you ridicule people who either mostly use the term in that way or those who understand that most people use the term like that.

I get that, as do I. But that's simply a representation of what the term means and not a definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City