Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2022, 08:47 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
lol, I disagree so I'm in a bubble? Ok. Get outta here.

I fundamentally disagree because black people aren't most urban people and dont make up most urban populaces. Black people are heavily suburbanizing and many of us are rural. The people living in Cascade arent living in an urban neighborhood. This is simple as to why I disagree-fundamentally. Urban is from a time when blacks were flooding inner cities en masse and defining a new urban culture in American cities/also because cultural expression for blacks as it related to the mainstream was stifled in Rural areas and back really weren't allowed in 95% of suburbs. That time has passed. I've heard countless discussions on this "urban" euphemism as a way for white people or black people looking for white money to refer to a black populace/consumer base no matter where they live. It's a term I think has been dying a slow death for 20 years.

If I used urban to describe Memphis it'd be a (corny) joke/satirical. I would just say black like a regular person in 2022 and not some 1990s college professor.

"Jackson MS duking it out with Detroit MI for the most urban city in the country while San Francisco and Boston bring up the rear."

This is like a Wayans Brothers episode where Marlons reminds Shawn they've got a scheduling conflict; "we gotta make it to the New Nubian Negro People of Color Black Urban Award show special" and they run the laugh track.

I'm gonna side with the newcomer grin because this is some silliness. Having a lot of black people doesn't make you urban. And simply being in a town or city doesn't make a place urban either. I'm talking real-life use Idk what people you know but I'm supposed to take your word for it how does the majority of America think of "urban/urbanity"?

Any city on First 48 all the time is gonna be described as ghetto or hood! not "Urban" cmon now... its a show that is used to exploit black people and could be done virtually anywhere with 2000 black people. That's why it exists in Phoneix Tulsa and other rando southwestern cities.

Urban=black proly had a good 25-year run. But now its silly and should go out the window with terms like "colorblind" and I'm surprised we're actually endorsing that nonsense. As for being urban just cuz you're in a city I simply do not agree. Every city has suburban areas and usually has a neighborhood with some cheesy slogan like "small town in a city" or something
Now you're hyperfocusing on just one of the several definitions of "urban" from the first link that I posted which is pretty disingenuous and a huge deflection on your part. I actually agree that the term "urban" isn't used as much to describe heavily Black parts of cities as in times past, but it was never my argument that this is the only, or even the most common, way "urban" is used in contexts other than the way it is commonly used here on C-D (and I most certainly wasn't "endorsing" it; I'm not making any value judgments here, but only pointing out how the various ways the term is used). Cascade and the West End fit every single definition of "urban" according to dictionary.com. And again, none of the definitions included the way we most commonly use the word here.

At any rate, this discussion has run its course. You can rail against any and every one who chooses not to use the term "urban" in the same context as most of us do on this forum--which you believe to be its only connotation with absolutely no objective source that you can point to which demonstrates this--but it would simply be a waste of energy on your part. Disagree as much as you like with the various ways the word is used but that doesn't change the fact that it is indeed used in those other ways. That's the only thing I've been attempting to point out to you in this sidebar conversation.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 03-16-2022 at 08:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 08:51 PM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Which means you're in your own bubble here because most people don't think as you do when it comes to this, not even most people in DC, Baltimore, or Boston.

There is absolutely no consensus on what an "urban city" means in either context and many people would even say this is a redundant term. Pull a random person off the street in Baltimore and ask them if Atlanta is an "urban city" and they'll have no qualms with that because it's known to be a big city. You're deep in the echo chamber on this one dude.

Yall would say that about Midtown Atlanta too because that's a term yall associate with the South writ large.

It's not MY definition though; I'm merely pointing out how the term is popularly used as a matter of fact. The term "urban" can reference people as well as places and let's be real, a lot of the problems that plague Albany are no different than those plaguing Baltimore. Most people wouldn't use the term urban in reference to Albany as a whole since, even in the South, it can be a stretch to regard it as a city but many folks would say that Albany has a lot of "urban problems."

Shades of meaning here people, shades of meaning. Other folks aren't being unreasonable because they recognize and have no issue with those shades of meaning but to call others unreasonable when your preferred definition is very hard to find in any widely-recognized authoritative source? That's....something else.

Good post, Mute.

Old 03-22-2022, 01:56 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well, from a Black business standpoint, the largest strip of current Black owned businesses in DC is in Ward 8's Historic Anacostia in 2022:

Black Owned Businesses

Enlightened, Inc., IT and Management Consultant Firm (Relocated 150 employees from Downtown DC to Anacostia in 2022)

We Act Radio Studio

WACIF (Relocating to Anacosita from Ward 5 in 2022)

The HIVE

Black Owned Shops and Galleries

Mahogany Books

Nubian Hueman

Vintage and Charmed

Honfleur Gallery

Check It

La Threadz Couture

Anacostia Art Gallery Boutique

Black Owned Bank

Industrial Bank (Anacostia Location)

Black Owned Grocery Store

Fresh Food Factory

Black Owned Existing Restaurants

Open Crumb DC

Busboys and Poets (Anacostia Location)

Turning Natural (Anacostia Location)

Mama's Pizza Kitchen

E Life Restaurant

Tony's Place (Anacostia Location)

Black Owned Restaurants Coming Soon

Kitchen Savages

DC Smokehouse (Anacostia Location)

Sweet Tooth Cakes and Pastries Bakery (Anacostia Location)

Black Owned Health and Wellness

Oral Surgery DC

Chirokei

Animal Clinic of Anacostia (Veterinarian)

Black Owned Theater

Anacostia Arts Center Black Box Theater
Historic Anacostia is adding to its robust pipeline with an expansion to the Anacostia Arts Center. The Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif) is moving its corporate headquarters to a new 2-story addition on top of the current building.

The Plans to Expand the Anacostia Arts Center

Anacostia Arts Center Rendering

With the addition of MLK Gateway I, MLK Gateway II, the city RFP to redevelop the large parcel across the street at 1234 Good Hope Rd SE, and the Anacostia Art Center addition, the eastern end of Historic Anacostia is changing in a huge way.

MLK Gateway I Rendering (Delivered)

MLK Gateway II Rendering (Under Construction)

1234 Good Hope Rd (RFP)

Old 03-26-2022, 10:54 AM

DC will invest $73 million in bringing new restaurants to Ward 7 and Ward 8 from 2022-2023

The amount of new Black owned restaurants coming to Ward 7 and Ward 8 in DC is about to be staggering over the next two years!! Another $22 million has been added to the $58 million already earmarked to bring new restaurants to Ward 7 and Ward 8 totally a mind blowing $73 million. DC will pay to buildout the interior space of those restaurants in addition to paying rent for those restaurants that choose to locate in Wards 7 and Ward 8. The changes are going to be night and day.

Old 03-29-2022, 01:33 PM

11th Street Bridge Park Video

The 11th Street Bridge Park that leads to Anacostia breaks ground next year. Here is a video walk through of the park.

Old 03-29-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingcactus View Post
So nobody's posting anything for Atlanta here? Is Atlanta that behind?
I don't think it's that Atlanta is behind, Atlanta is just not seeing much development in their traditional majority Black neighborhoods. Most of the development happening in Atlanta is concentrated in neighborhoods experiencing massive displacement and gentrification that aren't really Black anymore to the south of downtown like Summerhill and Grant Park or to the east like Inman Park, Edgewood and Old Fourth Ward, etc.

Neighborhoods that are still Black in SW Atlanta like the West End and to the west of Midtown like Bankhead have some proposals, but they aren't under construction. They seem to be experiencing delays.

Old 03-29-2022, 04:42 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingcactus View Post
So nobody's posting anything for Atlanta here? Is Atlanta that behind?
This thread was never intended to serve as a running tally for proposed developments in Black neighborhoods for either city.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:33 PM

Quote:
This thread was never intended to serve as a running tally for proposed developments in Black neighborhoods for either city.
The development debate for Black neighborhoods in DC began after this post below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It doesn't have to be new construction. I'm talking about dense, walkable neighborhoods like Adams-Morgan or Columbia Heights that have lots of amenities within walking distance. Most places EOTR tend to be car-centric (check car ownership and commute modes) so those are out.

Like I said before, DC does not have a highly urban, walkable neighborhood with lots of Black professionals. You can have an urban neighborhood (Dupont, Logan Circle, U Street), and you can have a neighborhood with a large concentration of Black professionals (Shepherd Park), but you can't have both. You either have to live in an overwhelmingly White urban neighborhood or a Black professional "suburban" neighborhood. It's not too different from Atlanta in that sense.
and this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
EOTR has very little street vibrancy. 77% of households in the 20020 zip code own at least one vehicle compared to 40% in the 20009 zip code. There's also no equivalent of 14th Street, M Street, U Street or H Street EOTR.

Old 03-30-2022, 08:57 AM

1,375 posts, read 926,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don't think it's that Atlanta is behind, Atlanta is just not seeing much development in their traditional majority Black neighborhoods. Most of the development happening in Atlanta is concentrated in neighborhoods experiencing massive displacement and gentrification that aren't really Black anymore to the south of downtown like Summerhill and Grant Park or to the east like Inman Park, Edgewood and Old Fourth Ward, etc.

Neighborhoods that are still Black in SW Atlanta like the West End and to the west of Midtown like Bankhead have some proposals, but they aren't under construction. They seem to be experiencing delays.
That ragingcactus is already banned... He created four accounts over the past month (including grin123) just to bash Atlanta... he's a real winner.

Old 03-30-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I think the reality of predominantly Black neighborhoods in America anywhere outside of NYC had been that they lack retail amenities. Even Harlem also lacked new modern urban housing Black people actually live in. DC is now bucking that trend on both fronts probably more than even Harlem because in DC’s case, the neighborhoods adding all these restaurants and new modern housing with rents for new construction starting at $1500-$1700 are over 90 percent Black and insulated from displacement pressure by the Anacostia River. That is not true for Harlem or anywhere else in the nation right now.

As these developments deliver, DC will produce a Black thriving oasis of vibrant 90 percent Black neighborhoods surrounded by predominantly Black wealthy suburbs in Prince George’s County all protected and separated by the Anacostia river that protects the eco system the Black community lost after the demise of the Harlem Renaissance, Black Broadway, and Black Wall Street.

If we are talking about a solution to the violence and poverty in the Black community that is rampant across America, I think an analysis of the past is worth looking at. Talking to seniors who lived during that time prior to the 1968 riots, the Black community used to be self sufficient. After integration, we lost self sufficiency along with our morals and values. Communities became drug infested slums with high unemployment and lack of amenities and resources. Black communities loss all hope and fell into disrepair. We have the ability to built our communities up without waiting on other races to do it. Black people should be the ones revitalizing our communities. It’s our duty in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City