Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2022, 03:03 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I think the reality of predominantly Black neighborhoods in America anywhere outside of NYC had been that they lack retail amenities. Even Harlem also lacked new modern urban housing Black people actually live in. DC is now bucking that trend on both fronts probably more than even Harlem because in DC’s case, the neighborhoods adding all these restaurants and new modern housing with rents for new construction starting at $1500-$1700 are over 90 percent Black and insulated from displacement pressure by the Anacostia River. That is not true for Harlem or anywhere else in the nation right now.

As these developments deliver, DC will produce a Black thriving oasis of vibrant 90 percent Black neighborhoods surrounded by predominantly Black wealthy suburbs in Prince George’s County all protected and separated by the Anacostia river that protects the eco system the Black community lost after the demise of the Harlem Renaissance, Black Broadway, and Black Wall Street.

If we are talking about a solution to the violence and poverty in the Black community that is rampant across America, I think an analysis of the past is worth looking at. Talking to seniors who lived during that time prior to the 1968 riots, the Black community used to be self sufficient. After integration, we lost self sufficiency along with our morals and values. Communities became drug infested slums with high unemployment and lack of amenities and resources. Black communities loss all hope and fell into disrepair. We have the ability to built our communities up without waiting on other races to do it. Black people should be the ones revitalizing our communities. It’s our duty in my opinion.
In NYC, SE Queens pretty much fits the bill of overwhelmingly black and middle class. It is more single family homes, but it is still about 90% black or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 07:49 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
That ragingcactus is already banned... He created four accounts over the past month (including grin123) just to bash Atlanta... he's a real winner.
Something told me that might have been him under another sock puppet account. Bless his heart.

Old 03-30-2022, 11:37 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
For longtime Black DC residents that would like to buy a house in the city, a new $10 million fund for Black residents only has been put together to buy houses in the city. They haven't released any details yet on the requirements. The only requirement thus far is that it is only for longtime Black residents.

$10M for a Black homeownership fund and strike force to increase access to homeownership for longtime Black residents

Old 03-31-2022, 09:46 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In NYC, SE Queens pretty much fits the bill of overwhelmingly black and middle class. It is more single family homes, but it is still about 90% black or so.
I recently spent time in SE Queens. Some very nice neighborhoods. There needs to be better retail and some cleaning up the streets. I also hate how Queens roads are laid out. There's no reason 144 road should perpendicular to 144 ave and bisected by 169 St. absolute madness lol. Also the traffic is a mess.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are there a lot of Black owned restaurants there? I haven't spent much time in Queen's. I usually spend my time in Harlem and Brooklyn.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:59 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Are there a lot of Black owned restaurants there? I haven't spent much time in Queen's. I usually spend my time in Harlem and Brooklyn.
Yes

Old 03-31-2022, 01:20 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Yeah, although heavily Caribbean.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Yeah, although heavily Caribbean.
To your point, Caribbean and African restaurants do belong in a different category than what I am referring to when it comes to Black restaurants. I think immigrant restaurants exist in most cities. When I think Black owned restaurants, I'm talking about sit down restaurants with tables and a bar serving lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch. A nice atmosphere with maybe a DJ where Black people come to socialize. A space that is decorated and designed well.

Old 04-04-2022, 10:30 AM

BeltLine MarketPlace’ to feature affordable storefronts on trails

I love this idea in Atlanta. This is something that will provide equity as development around the beltline continues to SW Atlanta in the future. It is important to ensure Black owned businesses get a seat at the table when the beltline reaches Southwest Atlanta.

It reminds me of the sandlot concept in DC.

Sandlot Southeast

The first east of the river Sandlot in Anacostia is about to open later this month.

Sandlot Anacostia

Old 04-04-2022, 11:48 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
To your point, Caribbean and African restaurants do belong in a different category than what I am referring to when it comes to Black restaurants. I think immigrant restaurants exist in most cities. When I think Black owned restaurants, I'm talking about sit down restaurants with tables and a bar serving lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch. A nice atmosphere with maybe a DJ where Black people come to socialize. A space that is decorated and designed well.
This restaurant in Laurelton fits what you are looking for or something similar: https://www.facebook.com/SouthernGir...foodResturant/
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6794...2!9m2!1b1!2i37
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City