Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2020, 03:28 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times

Advertisements

I got a question for my DC area folks. How do the suburbs in PG county compare to Atlanta burbs? Like is there some type of “urbanizing” of the burbs or is typical suburb landscape (subdivisions/ big retail chains, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 03:37 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Do you also see that level of commitment for Fort Greene/Clinton Hill/Bed-Stuy?
There is a commitment but not to the same extent as there is for Harlem. Harlem is iconic and invokes a certain reverence among all Black Americans. There is something special about walking the same streets that Malcolm X, Fidel Castro, Adam Clayton Powell, Marcus Garvey and Zora Neale Hurston walked. So part of it is an allure the neighborhood has on young Black professionals, and another part of it is a sense of obligation to do your part to keep Harlem as black as possible. Not all young Black professionals in New York feel this way, obviously, but many do.

Old 05-15-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Do you also see that level of commitment to Fort Greene/Clinton Hill/Bed-Stuy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxtcyGdJgYk

Old 05-15-2020, 03:58 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
2018 5-Year Dataset.
I don't think neighborhood boundaries for something like education is as relevant when neighborhoods are so small and block group datasets are not as accurate as census tract datasets. I think retail establishments are frequented by people in the that area of the city so zip code stats are probably more relevant when trying to figure out what the scene is like. There are more black people with degrees in Ward 7 and Ward 8 than any of the zip codes you posted. This is the largest and densest concentration of black middle class in the entire city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I think these stats for Ward 7 and Ward 8 are something to watch over the years as all the development is built:

Zip Code 20019 = 57,415 black people (93.14% Black)

-Professional Degrees = 239
-Masters Degrees = 1,872
-Bachelors Degrees = 3,278
-Associates Degrees = 2,239

Total Black Population Percentage with Some Form of Degree: 13%

Zip Code 20020 = 52,945 black people (94.36% Black)

-Professional Degrees = 321
-Masters Degrees = 2,445
-Bachelors Degrees = 3,434
-Associates Degrees = 2,079

Total Black Population Percentage with Some Form of Degree: 16%

Zip Code 20032 = 37,070 black people (89.87% Black)

-Professional Degrees = 191
-Masters Degrees = 1,375
-Bachelors Degrees = 2,370
-Associates Degrees = 1,328

Total Black Population Percentage with Some Form of Degree: 14%

Source

Old 05-15-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:

Also, what if I don't want to compromise on an extremely walkable built environment? I'd prefer somewhere like Adams-Morgan. Any neighborhoods like that but with a large population of Black professionals?
No, there aren't any areas like Adams Morgan in Ward 7 and Ward 8. That older gritty style neighborhood was built in a different era. There will be areas like Midtown Atlanta, Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard DC, NOMA DC, Buzzard Point DC, or SW Wharf DC etc. though.

What is your criteria for an urban design of the neighborhood? Can it be new construction?

Old 05-15-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I don't think neighborhood boundaries for something like education is as relevant when neighborhoods are so small and block group datasets are not as accurate as census tract datasets. I think retail establishments are frequented by people in the that area of the city so zip code stats are probably more relevant when trying to figure out what the scene is like. There are more black people with degrees in Ward 7 and Ward 8 than any of the zip codes you posted.
I provided data for Census tracts because you said there was a high concentration of Black professionals in NoMa/Trinidad. Those are small neighborhoods within the 20002 zip code (but not that small since they are about the same size as some zip codes in Manhattan).

There are a couple of reasons to focus on Census tracts in this case rather than zip codes. First, we're talking about urban living in this thread, and there are plenty of areas within the 20020 zip code that are decidely not urban. For example, Hillcrest by far has the highest concentration of Black people with college degrees in all of Wards 7 and 8, but it's a bit misleading to lump them together with younger Blacks living in Anacostia since most Hillcrest residents are older and not living anything remotely close to an urban lifestyle. Second, zip codes can differ wildly in size, so Census tracts tend to be more of an apples-to-apples comparison.

In Anacostia specifically (Tract 75.03), there were only around 190 Blacks with a college degree. Geographically, it is about the same size as South Harlem, but has far fewer Black college-educated residents.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
No, there aren't any areas like Adams Morgan in Ward 7 and Ward 8. That older gritty style neighborhood was built in a different era. There will be areas like Midtown Atlanta, Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard DC, NOMA DC, Buzzard Point DC, or SW Wharf DC etc. though.

What is your criteria for an urban design of the neighborhood? Can it be new construction?
It doesn't have to be new construction. I'm talking about dense, walkable neighborhoods like Adams-Morgan or Columbia Heights that have lots of amenities within walking distance. Most places EOTR tend to be car-centric (check car ownership and commute modes) so those are out.

Like I said before, DC does not have a highly urban, walkable neighborhood with lots of Black professionals. You can have an urban neighborhood (Dupont, Logan Circle, U Street), and you can have a neighborhood with a large concentration of Black professionals (Shepherd Park), but you can't have both. You either have to live in an overwhelmingly White urban neighborhood or a Black professional "suburban" neighborhood. It's not too different from Atlanta in that sense.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 05-15-2020 at 04:35 PM..

Old 05-15-2020, 04:47 PM

20003 Zip Code (Navy Yard/Capitol Hill)

Area - 2.24 sq. mi.
Walkscore - 89
Transit Score - 84
Black-owned bars and restaurants - 1
Black college degree holders - 1,781
All college degree holders - 18,750
Black % of college grads - 9.5%

10026 (South Harlem)

Area - 0.33 sq. mi.
Walkscore - 97
Transit score - 100
Black-owned bars and restaurants - 15
Black college degree holders - 4,494
All college degree holders - 12,700
Black % of college grads - 35.4%

Old 05-15-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
It doesn't have to be new construction. I'm talking about dense, walkable neighborhoods like Adams-Morgan or Columbia Heights that have lots of amenities within walking distance. Most places EOTR tend to be car-centric (check car ownership and commute modes) so those are out.

Like I said before, DC does not have a highly urban, walkable neighborhood with lots of Black professionals. You can have an urban neighborhood (Dupont, Logan Circle, U Street), and you can have a neighborhood with a large concentration of Black professionals (Shepherd Park), but you can't have both. You either have to live in an overwhelmingly White urban neighborhood or a Black professional "suburban" neighborhood. It's not too different from Atlanta in that sense.
That wasn't my question. My question was can it be new construction? Do you like neighborhoods like this?

Old 05-15-2020, 04:52 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Does Atlanta have a highly urban, walkable neighborhood with lots of Black professionals? I feel like it'd be easier to start with listing what the highly urban, walkable neighborhoods of Atlanta are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City