Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2020, 04:54 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That wasn't my question. My question was can it be new construction? Do you like neighborhoods like this?
I would like a neighborhood like that as a family man. I would not want to live there being single (like the OP). There's not much to walk to. I'd rather live somewhere like Shaw or Logan Circle with a lot more amenities within walking distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Does Atlanta have a highly urban, walkable neighborhood with lots of Black professionals? I feel like it'd be easier to start with listing what the highly urban, walkable neighborhoods of Atlanta are.
No. Neither city does.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:59 PM

DC has highly urban, walkable neighborhoods. They just have few Black people in them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq_xVcyXGow

Old 05-15-2020, 05:02 PM

Is this Boston?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm0fIEAPSUM

Old 05-15-2020, 05:12 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I would like a neighborhood like that as a family man. I would not want to live there being single (like the OP). There's not much to walk to. I'd rather live somewhere like Shaw or Logan Circle with a lot more amenities within walking distance.
That is Parkside, it will have over 300,000 sq. feet of retail to walk to between Northeast Heights, Parkside, and Benning Market. That's why I asked when the OP is moving here. All this stuff is being built right now.

Parkside Rendering
Northeast Heights Renderings

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-15-2020 at 05:27 PM..

Old 05-15-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
That is Parkside, it will have over 300,000 sq. feet of retail to walk to between Northeast Heights, Parkside, and Benning Market.
So the Black equivalent of Dupont/NoMa, etc. is basically "nothing" at the moment.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So the Black equivalent of Dupont/NoMa, etc. is basically "nothing" at the moment.
Correct, all this is under construction just like NOMA was under construction when we talked years ago. The difference is, these developments and neighborhoods are filling up with black people which NOMA was not and we both knew that. Yes, the neighborhoods you have been talking about are not black anymore in the urban core, but this area is the new DC. The future is bright for Ward 7 and Ward 8 and young black professionals are moving into Ward 7 and Ward 8 in droves. This will be an interesting conversation in a couple years, but until then, we wait.

On a side note, I'm so exicted for this below. It's under construction as we speak.

Michelin Bib Gourmand's Ivy City Smoke House will open Deanwood Smoke House in 2020

Old 05-15-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Does Atlanta have a highly urban, walkable neighborhood with lots of Black professionals? I feel like it'd be easier to start with listing what the highly urban, walkable neighborhoods of Atlanta are.

What do we define are highly urban, walkable, neighborhoods? I asked this before and Bajan brought out walkscore. I responded with this below. If Sweet Auburn in Atlanta has a 91 walk score, what is anybody aspiring too using their methodology?

Quote:
Sweet Auburn in Atlanta has a walkscore of 91. Walkscore isn't about urban design, it's about access to retail. Build retail and your walkscore goes up. It's pretty simple.

To put this into perspective, Sweet Auburn shown below has a greater walkscore than LeDroit Park, Bloomingdale, Mount Pleasant, Capital Riverfront/Navy Yard (this one is....lol), Howard University/Plesant Plains, Capitol Hill, Eckington, and Petworth in DC. Think about that for a second...

Sweet Auburn View 1

Sweet Auburn View 2

Sweet Auburn View 3

Sweet Auburn View 4

Sweet Auburn View 5

Sweet Auburn View 6

A neighborhood with development this scarce wouldn't even exist in DC, but the neighborhood is somehow close to the same level as the most dense and vibrant neighborhoods across America with a walkscore of 91.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:11 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
What do we define are highly urban, walkable, neighborhoods? I asked this before and Bajan brought out walkscore. I responded with this below. If Sweet Auburn in Atlanta has a 91 walk score, what is anybody aspiring too using their methodology?
That makes sense. It seems like a tiny neighborhood so it’s easier to get a higher score and looks relatively walkable though 91 is a bit high. Does that neighborhood have a Black professional majority?

Old 05-15-2020, 08:03 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
That makes sense. It seems like a tiny neighborhood so it’s easier to get a higher score and looks relatively walkable though 91 is a bit high. Does that neighborhood have a Black professional majority?
Nah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City