Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2020, 01:42 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
EOTR has very little street vibrancy. 77% of households in the 20020 zip code own at least one vehicle compared to 40% in the 20009 zip code. There's also no equivalent of 14th Street, M Street, U Street or H Street EOTR.
Whattttt? Ok, I'm about to just stop talking to you. You have nooooooo idea what you're talking about. The streets in Ward 7 and Ward 8 are lit all the time especially when it's hot outside. Sir, you are clueless...

Did you even cross the river when you lived here years ago? This is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 01:46 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Oh I'd love to snatch up a place in that second link. I see some historic houses and the neighborhood has loads of potential.

Give it about ten years and it won't look the same.
Can agree with that. I've checked out some DC property and these neighborhoods across the Anacostia are really beautiful. I'm preferring the density of NE and NW DC a little more right now for renting but I'd definitely buy a house across the river if I'm eventually able to afford it. My issue is the lack of transit in these areas though. DC seems to have great transit but I'm seeing gaps when it comes to certain neighborhoods. National Harbor isn't gonna work because there's not a transit line anywhere near it.

Old 05-16-2020, 01:53 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Then you obviously aren't aware of what's going on if SE if you think that's what I'm referring to. It's been a while maybe you need to come back and have a glimpse ehh?

Anacostia, Skyland, St. Elizabeth's/ Congress Heights each are either already thriving or currently constructing this in black majority neighborhoods:

https://www.skylandtowncenter.com/

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...ter-heres.html

https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/us/cong...ro-development

https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...-avenue-104175

https://washington.org/visit-dc/ente...t-sports-arena

Just a taste of it. I'm sure MDAllStar will fry you with the rest of the updates.
I'm hoping that most of SE and NE will see substantial investment without substantial displacement.

In Atlanta, redevelopment is planned for West End Mall that's similar:

Old 05-16-2020, 02:04 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Oh I'd love to snatch up a place in that second link. I see some historic houses and the neighborhood has loads of potential.

Give it about ten years and it won't look the same.
The second link is two/three blocks away from the urban MLK strip of Congress Heights. That whole area will look different in 5-10 years, once the development above the Metro station kicks off.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8433...7i16384!8i8192

Old 05-16-2020, 02:05 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Whattttt? Ok, I'm about to just stop talking to you. You have nooooooo idea what you're talking about. The streets in Ward 7 and Ward 8 are lit all the time especially when it's hot outside. Sir, you are clueless...

Did you even cross the river when you lived here years ago? This is ridiculous.
LA has more pedestrian vibrancy than Southeast DC. Not even close, actually.

Old 05-16-2020, 02:08 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
I'm hoping that most of SE and NE will see substantial investment without substantial displacement.

In Atlanta, redevelopment is planned for West End Mall that's similar:
The displacement is happening, but it’s by middle class to upper class black people and families replacing lower income black families. I tell people all the time that we (educated middle class black people) are gentrifying the neighborhoods over in Ward 7 and Ward 8. Just because we are black doesn’t mean we aren’t gentrifying them. If we were white, they would call us gentrifiers, but because we are black, it’s ok?

Old 05-16-2020, 02:11 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
LA has more pedestrian vibrancy than Southeast DC. Not even close, actually.
This is a rather odd comparison to make.

Old 05-16-2020, 02:12 PM

This is what some of you want the OP to move to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqh83zV9Z2I

Old 05-16-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
This is a rather odd comparison to make.
Oh yeah? Why is that?

Old 05-16-2020, 02:17 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Is that really the case? Is there a significant black culture in places like Seattle or Denver? I can't say I've explored a significant amount of the US but I can't imagine every city having a significant black presence throughout them, especially since leaving Atlanta for college and actually experiencing what the rest of Georgia is like. I haven't felt like an actual minority until now and I hate having to go out of my way to find black amenities here (and the population of my college town is 50% black yet you couldn't tell looking at who owns everything around here).
Well in your last post, you said you want "black culture to have a significant presence in the neighborhood." Even Seattle and Denver have a neighborhood or two like this.

That's different from "significant black culture in [city as a whole]"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City