Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 10:37 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times

Advertisements

I can't knock your reasons Murk, nothing wrong with your experiences and standards. I equate something being overrated like in sports, entertainment, or food spots. Being overrated is being overwhelmingly subpar compared to __ like Lonzo Ball in his rookie year despite the hype. ATL fall short but then rise depending on ___. That's what I see but thanks for the clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 10:44 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
This isnt even kind of close...DC hands down. Atlanta has a few small pockets of new urbanist 'urbanity' but in reality its wonderfully forested mega suburb.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:51 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
based on your career, and desire for urban neighborhoods, definitely DC.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:01 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
This isnt even kind of close...DC hands down. Atlanta has a few small pockets of new urbanist 'urbanity' but in reality its wonderfully forested mega suburb.
Eh, Sunbelt style urbanity with the option of infill is ATL's situation. Savannah is even more classically urban than ATL but it's like gas engine vs electric. With that said, go with something Washington.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:16 AM

1,374 posts, read 923,022 times
If you're an older African American maybe DC but if you're young and want to have fun/party, Atlanta would be a lot better.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:18 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Charlotte does have the benefit of very expansive city limits (it has the same square mileage in land as NYC) with a good bit of land upon which to build and is increasing density at its light rail stations, which are positives for sure and help explain its overall population increase. That said, Charlotte would not be the best place for him considering his career goals. But Raleigh would work seeing as though it's the state capital with more federal government jobs and the region is a center of higher education.
I will say that I'm slightly familiar with Charlotte as I have family in Union County but I'm not sure if there are many government jobs. Does Raleigh have a large and active African American community? I really just don't want to go to a place where I can't work with and see people who look like me on a daily basis. I also don't want to live in a place where I could get shot for simply existing and jogging in my neighborhood.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
I can't speak about Atlanta, but I know a lot about DC. Here are some DC neighborhoods to check out.

Historically, DC's African American culture was centered in the neighborhoods of Shaw, Ledroit Park, and U Street ("Black Broadway"). Howard University is an anchor of that area. This area of the city has heavily gentrified in recent years but still retains a sizable African American population. It is very urbanized by DC standards, with many amenities, restaurants, etc. It's considered a cool or trendy neighborhood. It is served by multiple Metro stations. Here is a link to Google Streetview showing U Street: https://goo.gl/maps/eCXXi8FQnb3HjctG9

H Street NE is another historically strong African American neighborhood. It is also gentrifying. It is served by the DC Streetcar, which connects to nearby Metro stations, as do some of the city's busiest bus routes. Here's H Street: https://goo.gl/maps/6nvUn9uBxWLg64vF8

Anacostia is probably the strongest African American neighborhood in DC currently. It is in the process of gentrifying but is nowhere near as far along as the neighborhoods already mentioned. It has a reputation for crime. It is served directly by the Metro. Here's a view of Anacostia: https://goo.gl/maps/L5KmoyqhUXraSsho8

There are many other African American neighborhoods in DC. The city is majority African American. But some of the other neighborhoods are a little further from Metro or are less dense and urbanized. They all have high African American populations, but I feel that Shaw/U Street, H Street, and Anacostia have more African American culture and history.

It really depends on what you'll be able to afford and what you're looking for. Shaw and H Street will be expensive. Anacostia will be cheaper but is considered less desirable. But all three are a good starting point for your research.
Those are all cool looking neighborhoods. My fear with DC was that I wouldn't be able to feel comfortable in urban settings as most talk about professional African Americans living far out in Maryland but these neighborhoods feel right to me.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:34 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Those are all cool looking neighborhoods. My fear with DC was that I wouldn't be able to feel comfortable in urban settings as most talk about professional African Americans living far out in Maryland but these neighborhoods feel right to me.
this is true to an extent but it also depends on your age, your career field and what you consider 'professional'

ANd wow they've really improved MLK Ave. It looks so nice now. In just 2/3 years its changed a lot. Also H Street is my favorite area in DC.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
If you're an older African American maybe DC but if you're young and want to have fun/party, Atlanta would be a lot better.
That's also an issue I hear with DC. I definitely don't want to go to a place that's boring and I'm really familiar and comfortable with Atlanta nightlife. I've also heard that dating sucks in DC but I hear people say the same about Atlanta so I don't know whether to take those critiques seriously. People often confuse professional and educated with stuck up, and while it can be the case it usually isn't the majority of people.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
this is true to an extent but it also depends on your age, your career field and what you consider 'professional'

ANd wow they've really improved MLK Ave. It looks so nice now. In just 2/3 years its changed a lot. Also H Street is my favorite area in DC.
"Professional" as in those with wealth and white-collar jobs usually. Those are the people I often hear decry gentrification the most but as soon as they get money they move out of black neighborhoods to the suburbs. I've seen it first hand in Atlanta. Instead of people improving the neighborhood they're from they move out to South Fulton or Stockbridge and leave the culture of the transit connected urban neighborhoods to completely change and then complain about how white they've become. Yes, we need more affordable housing everywhere but why do we so easily abandon our communities? But that's a conversation for a different thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City