Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 12:07 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I'm not that familiar with the West End in now. I visited the AUC when I was in school, but that was before 2010. How vibrant is that area now? Is it as vibrant as downtown Ward 7 like Bajan claimed below?
Well for one, the West End has some diagnal intersections and triangle-shaped parcels that interrupt a traditional grid and it doesn't have older lowrise multifamily buildings not set too far from the street, nor does Abernathy have any new multistory development either like Benning Rd does. The part of the corridor that includes the mall up to Peoples St. has more activity than the other half of the corridor. Both have seen new construction in recent years though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 12:26 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well for one, the West End has some diagnal intersections and triangle-shaped parcels that interrupt a traditional grid and it doesn't have older lowrise multifamily buildings not set too far from the street, nor does Abernathy have any new multistory development either like Benning Rd does. The part of the corridor that includes the mall up to Peoples St. has more activity than the other half of the corridor. Both have seen new construction in recent years though.
To continue the comparison, which of these three do you think will have the highest pedestrian counts after they are all redeveloped?

1. Anacostia, DC
2. West End, Atlanta
3. Downtown Ward 7, DC

Please feel free to add another black neighborhood in Atlanta if you believe there is another neighborhood not mentioned with more potential to have the most pedestrian foot traffic after redevelopment.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:48 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
The idea of Wards 7 and 8 having a vibrant pedestrian life is ridiculous.

Nearly all U.S. cities, even extremely dense cities such as NYC, have sections that are auto-centric and lack much in the way of pedestrian traffic. The most active pedestrian zones are almost always near the CBD--as those neighborhoods were built earlier--and the least active were typically built out after the advent of the automobile. You see this in Northeast Philadelphia, Eastern Queens and outer areas of BK such as Canarsie and Sheepshead Bay. I don't think anyone would describe these areas as "lit" even though they have relatively high population densities.

Southeast DC is nowhere near as built up as Canarsie and has considerably less pedestrian traffic. Southeast isn't even as dense as Staten Island, which isn't known for its robust pedestrian activity, though the borough does have some neighborhoods with decent pedestrian traffic like St. George and New Dorp. Staten Island is actually a good bit more active than Southeast, which if you know anything about S.I., tells you everything you need to know about Southeast.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:10 AM

21,632 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Nearly all U.S. cities, even extremely dense cities such as NYC, have sections that are auto-centric and lack much in the way of pedestrian traffic. The most active pedestrian zones are almost always near the CBD--as those neighborhoods were built earlier--and the least active were typically built out after the advent of the automobile. You see this in Northeast Philadelphia, Eastern Queens and outer areas of BK such as Canarsie and Sheepshead Bay. I don't think anyone would describe these areas as "lit" even though they have relatively high population densities.

Southeast DC is nowhere near as built up as Canarsie and has considerably less pedestrian traffic. Southeast isn't even as dense as Staten Island, which isn't known for its robust pedestrian activity, though the borough does have some neighborhoods with decent pedestrian traffic like St. George and New Dorp. Staten Island is actually a good bit more active than Southeast, which if you know anything about S.I., tells you everything you need to know about Southeast.
What you’re saying is true... but ultimately this is just a conversation between DC and Atlanta and their black areas. There are obviously other more vibrant pedestrian diverse:black neighborhoods in large cities but in this context (heavily black areas of ‘black meccas’) these are the best options.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
What you’re saying is true... but ultimately this is just a conversation between DC and Atlanta and their black areas. There are obviously other more vibrant pedestrian diverse:black neighborhoods in large cities but in this context (heavily black areas of ‘black meccas’) these are the best options.
I am simply dispelling the notion that Ward 7 is "lit." There are much denser sections of Brooklyn, the Bronx and Queens that are relatively slow-paced and dominated by car culture. Yet we're supposed to believe no such thing really exists in DC. Okay. Car ownership in Southeast is higher than it is in Canarsie.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:42 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:

You're off topic. The thread isn't about Philly, Queens, and Canarsie BK, sorry that doesn't help you here.

The thread is a question about between Washington D.C. and Atlanta which place offers the better urban living standard for an African American, seeking a neighborhood with a strong African American culture or presence. The answer to the OP's question would be DC, pick a ward, pick a quadrant, bottom line the answer is DC.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I am simply dispelling the notion that Ward 7 is "lit." There are much denser sections of Brooklyn, the Bronx and Queens that are relatively slow-paced and dominated by car culture. Yet we're supposed to believe no such thing really exists in DC. Okay. Car ownership in Southeast is higher than it is in Canarsie.
Yea I don’t think your gonna connect in that point with the folks at hand though. A lot of the “lit” ness in some people opinion is simply because it’s a black ADOS mecca and it’s warmer than NYC. This much is evident in that Atlanta is even included in the question of ‘urban living’ when it’s black community isn’t all that urban compared to many other places.

There’s tons of black/majority POC vibrant lit district near transit stations all over Philly, and yes even Boston, not just NYC. They’re generally older denser (Larger) and more walkable cities. DC has better options than a low budget retail corridor near a bus station. I also don’t be the revitalizing argument-that’s most low income places anywhere in a coastal city. And even factoring that in the Barry Farm Redevelopment would be very preferable over Benning and Minnesota.

If you’re coming from NYC very little of DC pedestrian life out of the immediate core is lit.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
You're off topic. The thread isn't about Philly, Queens, and Canarsie BK, sorry that doesn't help you here.

The thread is a question about between Washington D.C. and Atlanta which place offers the better urban living standard for an African American, seeking a neighborhood with a strong African American culture or presence. The answer to the OP's question would be DC, pick a ward, pick a quadrant, bottom line the answer is DC.
Yea it’s not about anywhere but DC or ATL but I wouldn’t say that either offers an objectively better urban living experience for African Americans than NYC or Philly etc, a better QOL in general but ‘urban’ I definitely don’t know about that. That’s not nearly as cut and dry. There’s a reason both black communities are so heavily suburbanized

Old 05-18-2020, 09:26 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I'm just speaking in two different contexts, I want both. I'll be living in a neighborhood but also in the city as a whole. There needs to be a significant black culture there. It doesn't have to be the only culture but it needs to exist. There are many cities where it doesn't.
Well what you describe does exist, but in the context of this thread, neither DC nor Atlanta are both urban and African-American centric.

The closest you'll probably get is Philadelphia or Baltimore if you want an urban and black-centric city.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Yea I don’t think your gonna connect in that point with the folks at hand though. A lot of the “lit” ness in some people opinion is simply because it’s a black ADOS mecca and it’s warmer than NYC. This much is evident in that Atlanta is even included in the question of ‘urban living’ when it’s black community isn’t all that urban compared to many other places.
He was talking about "lit"ness in terms of foot traffic. Wards 7 and 8 do not have much foot traffic. They are car centric.

But even if we're talking about "things to do," Wards 7 and 8 ain't it.

Quote:
If you’re coming from NYC very little of DC pedestrian life out of the immediate core is lit.
That's not true. It's not hard to see the difference between 14th Street and U and Minnesota Avenue and Benning Road. One is a long commercial corridor with tons of restaurants, bars and street vibrancy while the other is a bus depot with big box stores and surface lots a block away. The latter has a low level of vibrancy compared to just about any desirable urban neighborhood in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City