Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 11:33 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You do realize 14th and U Street used to be a pedestrian dead-zone right? There were just boarded up houses and crackheads and prostitutes. There was no vibrancy and there were no businesses. Do you think neighborhoods stay the same? No, they change. In fact, anybody looking at DC over the last 10-years can see neighborhoods sure enough change lol. This notion that Minnesota Avenue will still look like it does now in the future is crazy. I mean, look at H Street in 2010.
Yea I realize that. People in DC remind you once a week lol. It’s a bit easier to redevelop a shell of a neighborhood compared to a stable but low income neighborhoods in a high priced real estate market. You can kinds of clean slate re do the whole area when it holds no value.

I can’t speak to 2010 but when I visited DC in 2011 H Street was pretty vibrant and it was clearly on its way up. NoMa was clearly on its way up too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 11:34 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
He was talking about "lit"ness in terms of foot traffic. Wards 7 and 8 do not have much foot traffic. They are car centric.

But even if we're talking about "things to do," Wards 7 and 8 ain't it.

That's not true. It's not hard to see the difference between 14th Street and U and Minnesota Avenue and Benning Road. One is a long commercial corridor with tons of restaurants, bars and street vibrancy while the other is a bus depot with big box stores and surface lots a block away. The latter has a low level of vibrancy compared to just about any desirable urban neighborhood in the US.
Wait...what? Are you talking about this street?

14th and U Street NW
11th and U Street NW

Things do not stay the same sir.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea I realize that. People in DC remind you once a week lol. It’s a bit easier to redevelop a shell of a neighborhood compared to a stable but low income neighborhoods in a high priced real estate market. You can kinds of clean slate re do the whole area when it holds no value.

I can’t speak to 2010 but when I visited DC in 2011 H Street was pretty vibrant and it was clearly on its way up. NoMa was clearly on its way up too.
Did you watch this video below?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXVh9IQ8G0I

You don't think that's a busy pedestrian street? And this was 7-years ago. There is more pedestrian traffic now because of Park 7 apartments, St. Stephen's apartments, and DOES.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:

14th and U Street NW
11th and U Street NW

MD..

Is the thread about the past present or future? Pick one.

Picture of old blighted DC make no sense. They’re largely areas that were vibrant in the 60s into the early 1970s then went through 25-30 years of deadness. Like virtually every other sizable old city in this country Your showing us a snap shot in time, not the whole story.14th/ 11th and U was vibrant before it was blighted because it’s basically in the core of DC. I’m not sure but I doubt the same can be said of Benning and Minnesota...

Old 05-18-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
MD..

Is the thread about the past present or future? Pick one.

Picture of old blighted DC make no sense. They’re largely areas that were vibrant in the 60s into the early 1970s then went through 25-30 years of deadness. Like virtually every other sizable old city in this country Your showing us a snap shot in time, not the whole story.14th/ 11th and U was vibrant before it was blighted because it’s basically in the core of DC. I’m not sure but I doubt the same can be said of Benning and Minnesota...
Well, I have always been talking about the future. This was may second post on 05/09/2020:

Quote:
Yes, I thought of those too, but I figured the OP didn't mean single family home style neighborhoods with town center type developments mixed in when he/she said urban. The OP asked for a comparison so I assume he/she would like to know about similarities. I would say Old Fourth Ward, Edgewood, and Kirkwood are most similar to neighborhoods on the outskirts of DC proper where single family homes do exist mixed in with rowhouses and apartments. The aforementioned neighborhoods in Atlanta and the neighborhoods on the outskirts of DC proper aren't urban compared to the urban core of DC, however, if they meet the OP's standards for urban, they qualify.

As you know, I mentioned in the other thread that I believe Ward 7 and Ward 8 in DC is becoming the HUB of the black upper/middle class because professional black people are gentrifying that part of the city. Just like the neighborhoods you mentioned in Atlanta that still have a black majority like Sweet Auburn/Old Fourth Ward, Edgewood, and Kirkwood, new town centers are under construction in Ward 7 and Ward 8 also and that area of the city is still 95% black.

I do have a question about the black neighborhoods in Atlanta like Sweet Auburn/Old Fourth Ward, Edgewood, and Kirkwood that have seen multi-family town centers with retail built over the last decade. Are the people that move into the new apartments in those neighborhoods majority black people or majority people from other races? It's an interesting dynamic in Atlanta because from my experience, black people aren't moving into the new developments in those neighborhoods from my observation. In fact, my friends actually used those developments as examples of the gentrification happening in those neighborhoods when I visited last summer. I have a friend that has a house in Old Fourth Ward now.

One question here in DC that can't be answered yet is what demographic is going to move into the new luxury buildings being built in majority black Ward 7 and Ward 8 in DC. In talking with friends that chose to live in Largo and Branch Avenue outside DC proper in the brand new apartments near those metro stations, they said they would like to live in DC, but it's too expensive for all the new stuff being built. They prefer to live in a new apartment that is reasonably priced and when they looked in Ward 7 and Ward 8, there weren't any new buildings without income restrictions. The new apartment buildings will have similar price points to buildings in Largo and Branch Avenue which are basically 100% black. It will be interesting seeing who moves into the new buildings being built in that part of the city. Will it be majority black people or majority people from other races?
Are you saying you don't believe downtown Ward 7 will be vibrant after all the development coming to that area is built? Nothing was in NOMA or Union Market. It was parking lots. Literally nothing...

Old 05-18-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Did you watch this video below?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXVh9IQ8G0I

You don't think that's a busy pedestrian street? And this was 7-years ago. There is more pedestrian traffic now because of Park 7 apartments, St. Stephen's apartments, and DOES.
Pretty busy. Mostly just looks like a busy bus stop. I see some people scrambling to the McDonald’s. But 90% of people are at a bus stop in front of Payless. Also the video you give is about a braid daylight shooting. None of this seems like the logically place for OP.

Again this is a bus depot/station and box retail not an urban village. If that’s all OP wants then yea but if they want a somewhat desirable/hip urban walkable area with plurality African Americans there are better options in DC. The former is readily available all over the US. I assume OP is looking for thing a bit more top shelf since there is an emphasis on professional vibes

Old 05-18-2020, 11:57 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:

14th and U Street NW
11th and U Street NW

Where are the big box stores and surface lots in those pictures?

You are being intentionally obtuse.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Pretty busy. Mostly just looks like a busy bus stop. I see some people scrambling to the McDonald’s. But 90% of people are at a bus stop in front of Payless. Also the video you give is about a braid daylight shooting. None of this seems like the logically place for OP.

Again this is a bus depot/station and box retail not an urban village. If that’s all OP wants then yea but if they want a somewhat desirable/hip urban walkable area with plurality African Americans there are better options in DC. The former is readily available all over the US. I assume OP is looking for thing a bit more top shelf since there is an emphasis on professional vibes
I'm starting to question if you've been to this area. The bus depot/station Bajan is talking about is about 0.5 miles from this location at the metro station below:

Minnesota Avenue Bus Depot Station

The bulk of the pedestrian traffic is always between the Minnesota Avenue Metro Station and the Benning Road intersection below. Just say you're not that familiar with the area...

DOES and Park 7 Building

The desirable HIP/urban location is coming. Just like everything else in DC, be patient, it's coming...

Old 05-18-2020, 12:05 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Sure, see below:

Barry Farms Redevelopment

[vimeo]296875189[/vimeo]
Barry Farms Renderings Video
Barry Farms Redevelopment Rendering #1
Barry Farms Redevelopment #2
Barry Farms Redevelopment #3
Barry Farms Development 1100-Unit Development

Historic Anacostia Development

MLK Gateway Rendering
Reunion Square Rendering
Reunion Square 481-Unit Apartment Development
MLK Gateway Development

Parkside

Parkside Rendering #1
Parkside Rendering #2
The 191-Unit "Eleven Parkside" Under Construction is Another Piece of the 1500-Unit Parkside Development

Northeast Heights

Northeast Heights Rendering
Northeast Heights is a 1200-Unit Development with 206,000 Sq. Feet of Retail

Skyland Town Center

Skyland Town Center Rendering #1
Skyland Town Center Rendering #2
Skyland Town Center is a 500-Unit Luxury Apartment Development with 135,000 Sq. Feet of Retail

St. Elizabeth East

St. Elizabeth East Rendering #1
St. Elizabeth East Rendering #2
D.C. Selects Redbrick LMD to Develop Portion of St. Elizabeths East into Town Square
St. Elizabeths East has Three More Development Opportunities Available
St. Elizabeth East 1300-Unit Apartment Development with 206,000 Sq. Feet of Retail

Poplar Point

Poplar Point Rendering
Poplar Point 700-Unit Apartment Development

Kenilworth Courts

Kenilworth Courts Rendering #1
Kenilworth Courts Rendering #2
Kenilworth Courts Redevelopment
once again, you deserve some rep for this post lol.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:08 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Fam, you seem to have a lot of negative things to say about DC, what's your issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City