Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 01:04 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Plurality black, highly urbanized, walkable areas with a decent concentration of black professionals that I know of:

All of Harlem, most of Central/northern Brooklyn, Western/Central Bronx -NYC

Northwest Philly, Point Breeze Philly/South Philly, University City/Near West-Philly

Bronzeville, Hyde Park , most of Near South Side-Chicago

Portions of South Central LA/Inglewood- Los Angeles

Charles Village, Resevoir Hill, McElderry Park, Barclays, Pigtown in Baltimore

West Oakland, Oakland

Jones Hill, Uphams, fort Hill Shawmut, Ashmont, Nubian Square, Frederick Douglass Square, South Dorchester/Lower Mills in Boston

Southern/Eastern Capitol Hill, Shaw, brightwood Park north of H street, Ivy City, Brightwood, Petworth, Hill East, Bllomingdale, Upshur DC, Eckington, much of Northeast west of the Anacostia, Anacostia in DC

I’m sure there are tons more I just don’t know them. For some other cities like Philly NYC Chicago those neighborhoods are pretty numerous and the cities large so I just pump areas together. I don’t know the ganukar info.

I wouldn’t call anything in NEDC on the other side of the River one of those neighborhoods. Benning and Minnesota is more so a standard urban African American neighborhood. But not premier or special. It’s not great to not have a car, but it’s doable for those who cannot afford vehicle transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 01:29 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Plurality black, highly urbanized, walkable areas with a decent concentration of black professionals that I know of:

Northwest Philly, Point Breeze Philly/South Philly, University City/Near West-Philly

West Oakland, Oakland

Jones Hill, Uphams, fort Hill Shawmut, Ashmont, Nubian Square, Frederick Douglass Square, South Dorchester/Lower Mills in Boston

Southern/Eastern Capitol Hill, Shaw, brightwood Park north of H street, Ivy City, Brightwood, Petworth, Hill East, Bllomingdale, Upshur DC, Eckington, much of Northeast west of the Anacostia, Anacostia in DC

I’m sure there are tons more I just don’t know them. For some other cities like Philly NYC Chicago those neighborhoods are pretty numerous and the cities large so I just pump areas together. I don’t know the ganukar info.

I wouldn’t call anything in NEDC on the other side of the River one of those neighborhoods. Benning and Minnesota is more so a standard urban African American neighborhood. But not premier or special. It’s not great to not have a car, but it’s doable for those who cannot afford vehicle transportation.
I just realized there is a pretty big question that has never been asked anywhere in this thread. What price point is the OP looking at for housing? If he/she can't afford to live in DC proper, he/she will be relegated to the suburbs anyway. Only young black professionals with good salaries live in DC. We are going around in circles and we don't even know if the OP can afford to live in DC. I mean, you didn't live in DC either. If the OP is coming right out of school, he/she may not make enough to live in the city.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:39 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:

West Oakland, Oakland

Your list is too expansive IMO. I don't think anywhere in South Philly is a buppie magnet. I grew up in NW Philly. Mt. Airy is an older, more established crowd. It's not what a young person moving to the city is looking for. But yes, it is a solidly middle class to affluent area (particularly west of G-Town Ave) that contains by far the largest percentage of Philly's Black upper middle class. Wynnefield in West Philly is similar.

I don't think anywhere in Boston qualifies. Same goes for the Bronx.

Most cities don't have a "buppie" neighborhood. There may be events for Black professionals, but no particular neighborhood where they are concentrated.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I just realized there is a pretty big question that has never been asked anywhere in this thread. What price point is the OP looking at for housing? If he/she can't afford to live in DC proper, he will be relegated to the suburbs anyway. Only young black professionals with good salaries live in DC. We are going around in circles and we don't even know if the OP can live in DC. I mean, you didn't live in DC either.
True. It’s expensive. I almost live in the Woodner apartments in NW but Silver Hill made more sense to me. I didn’t care because both areas seemed perfectly live able even though they’re very different.

I have a good friend who got a small affordable unit right on Georgia Ave near Howard. After 1 year on that lease he decided DC was too expensive/hectic and moved to brand new downtown apartment/loft Hartford (where we went to college) and has no regrets.

I have another close friend who lives in the Gale at Eckington-I love that complex, really good vibe tons of young Black professionals and they throw events for them in the complex- they have income restricted affordable units too. Most big complexes in DC have them

Old 05-18-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
True. It’s expensive. I almost live in the Woodner apartments in NW but Silver Hill made more sense to me. I didn’t care because both areas seemed perfectly live able even though they’re very different.

I have a good friend who got a small affordable unit right on Georgia Ave near Howard. After 1 year on that lease he decided DC was too expensive/hectic and moved to brand new downtown apartment/loft Hartford (where we went to college) and has no regrets.

I have another close friend who lives in the Gale at Eckington-I love that complex, really good vibe tons of young Black professionals and they throw events for them in the complex- they have income restricted affordable units too. Most big complexes in DC have them
Yeah, I like the Gale too. They are also building two buildings next to the Gale and that new park is finished across the street. There are black people everywhere in DC in all the new buildings. I used to live in NOMA at Archstone First and M (Now Avalonbay First and M) and the building had a ton of black people. John Wall from the Wizards even lived there before he bought his house. I think there will always be successful black people that can afford to live in the urban core. I have friends living in new buildings all over the city. The neighborhoods aren't predominantly black, but they don't expect them to be. Harlem is the ghetto too and I know a few people that don't want to deal with all that. To get away from the ghetto, you have to live in a neighborhood like NOMA/Union Market/Navy Yard/The Wharf/Penn Quarter etc. etc.

I will say that when I first bought my house in Ward 7, I didn't want to leave NOMA, but I couldn't afford to buy a house in that part of the city. Now, all my friends have bought houses in Ward 7 and Ward 8. I have over 10 friend's who have bought homes across the river and we can't wait for all the restaurants and grocery stores to come. We got in early and I'm glad we did.

Old 05-18-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Your list is too expansive IMO. I don't think anywhere in South Philly is a buppie magnet. I grew up in NW Philly. Mt. Airy is an older, more established crowd. It's not what a young person moving to the city is looking for. But yes, it is a solidly middle class to affluent area (particularly west of G-Town Ave) that contains by far the largest percentage of Philly's Black upper middle class. Wynnefield in West Philly is similar.

I don't think anywhere in Boston qualifies. Same goes for the Bronx.

Most cities don't have a "buppie" neighborhood. There may be events for Black professionals, but no particular neighborhood where they are concentrated.
I don’t know how old OP is or isn’t but I would say pluristically black or at the very least noticeably black qualifies. A heavily black area? Not many of them. These are mainly places that you can find a higher concentration of young/ish black professionals in urban settings than probably 99.5% of America. Obviously some places are going to stand out more as ‘magnets’ I just can confidently say most of this list would qualify more than Benning and Minnesota.

I’m under no false pretense there are many fo these neighborhoodsYou know Philly better than me and the West Coast I may be lost on. I know from firsthand experience Nubian Square, Fort Hill and Frederick Douglas Square, Roxbury Crossing (essentially Lower Roxbury) qualify. The form a nucleus that definitely has the city’s highest concentration of young black professionals and black outlets-really it’s basically 2/3 neighborhoods that all touch and are ‘Roxbury’. Objectively they offer more than Benning and Minnesota/and are more urban. The rest of Boston could be tossed as they definitely skew older and are further from the corner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG95sezaqvU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIPK8m6Ggrk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HKIu4lk8hM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QLoU6aDVZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD7NXGjiiZg

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 05-18-2020 at 03:31 PM..

Old 05-18-2020, 03:42 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
^^The 02119 zip code has a slightly lower density of college educated Blacks than the 20001 zip code in DC (Howard University). I wasn't expecting it to be close, honestly. I still wouldn't call Roxbury a buppie hotspot, but it has a larger concentration than I would have imagined.

Old 05-18-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
^^The 02119 zip code has a slightly lower density of college educated Blacks than the 20001 zip code in DC (Howard University). I wasn't expecting it to be close, honestly. I still wouldn't call Roxbury a buppie hotspot, but it has a larger concentration than I would have imagined.
Yea its decent and its growing. You might find a better concentration in 02118 02120 02121 02124, maybe 02136 too but that's much less urban. Honestly its a more of a "creative vibe" than professional. Its not a hotspot but it is comfortable, walkable and very close to downtown and public transit. Things like The Black Market, and the Roxbury Cultural District are unifying entities. There also a 'Aint No Hold Up' party and event series in Roxbury to supplement Boston's nightlife thats thrown by some black young teachers/artists/no profit sector workers whom I know.

These young professionals blacks give a decent recap of the city in general. And speak to how Roxbury feels more comfortable. Its a 50/50 split between local and transplants They're millenials and this was 2018 so it pretty accurate, i agree with most of it but they dont really just talk about growing up there much so thats a bonus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQwfmBXsuCc

But this is about DC and ATL. I digress on my Boston rant.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I don’t know how old OP is or isn’t but I would say pluristically black or at the very least noticeably black qualifies. A heavily black area? Not many of them. These are mainly places that you can find a higher concentration of young/ish black professionals in urban settings than probably 99.5% of America. Obviously some places are going to stand out more as ‘magnets’ I just can confidently say most of this list would qualify more than Benning and Minnesota.

I’m under no false pretense there are many fo these neighborhoodsYou know Philly better than me and the West Coast I may be lost on. I know from firsthand experience Nubian Square, Fort Hill and Frederick Douglas Square, Roxbury Crossing (essentially Lower Roxbury) qualify. The form a nucleus that definitely has the city’s highest concentration of young black professionals and black outlets-really it’s basically 2/3 neighborhoods that all touch and are ‘Roxbury’. Objectively they offer more than Benning and Minnesota/and are more urban. The rest of Boston could be tossed as they definitely skew older and are further from the corner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG95sezaqvU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIPK8m6Ggrk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HKIu4lk8hM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QLoU6aDVZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD7NXGjiiZg
I actually agree with you in 2020, however the OP said he isn’t moving here for a couple years. I guess this conversation needs to be continued. Everything will be very different by then. I know they say NYC businesses will be hit the worse by COVID-19 and DC should be one of the first to recover. I guess we will see.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:17 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
So you’re saying it’s all pull from the suburbs and no push from the city?

Because even with what you’re saying holding true those same folks could choose to live in the city but by and large they don’t.

Atlanta contains like what? 1/7th of the areas black population? I’m just doing some quick mental math. There’s definitely some push factors from the city. Or at least the city doesn’t have the same pull as the suburbs.
DC had the '68 riots as a push factor but Atlanta never really had an event like that as a push factor. The closest thing might be when the public housing projects in the city were razed in the 90's, but more of those displaced residents remained in the city than many seem to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City