Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 04:17 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea its decent and its growing. You might find a better concentration in 02118 02120 02121 02124, maybe 02136 too but that's much less urban. Honestly its a more of a "creative vibe" than professional. Its not a hotspot but it is comfortable, walkable and very close to downtown and public transit. Things like The Black Market, and the Roxbury Cultural District are unifying entities. There also a 'Aint No Hold Up' party and event series in Roxbury to supplement Boston's nightlife thats thrown by some black young teachers/artists/no profit sector workers whom I know.

These young professionals blacks give a decent recap of the city in general. And speak to how Roxbury feels more comfortable. Its a 50/50 split between local and transplants They're millenials and this was 2018 so it pretty accurate, i agree with most of it but they dont really just talk about growing up there much so thats a bonus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQwfmBXsuCc

But this is about DC and ATL. I digress on my Boston rant.
Wow, that’s kind of eye opening hearing their Boston black experience. We really take living in cities like DC and Atlanta for granted sometimes. Thanks for sharing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 04:25 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
To put things in perspective, African Americans make up 35.4% of all college degree holders in the 10026 zip code (South Harlem). African Americans make up 7.8% of all college degree holders in the 20009 zip code (U Street).

This is interesting because U Street is the epicenter of young Black social life in DC but very few young educated Black people actually live around there.

I think a big difference between NYC and ATL/DC is that when a young Black person says they are moving to New York there's about a 90% chance they are moving specifically to Harlem or to the gentrifying areas of Black Brooklyn. When a young Black person says they are moving to Atlanta or DC, they could be moving to Marietta, Midtown, Stone Mountain, Decatur, Navy Yard, Silver Spring, Alexandria, etc. There's no one place in those metros that young Black people are going to flock to. As a result, the urban Black professional class is a lot more dispersed.
Castleberry Hill
I know a few blacks not from Atlanta who live there and at least half of the businesses thee are black owned.
You do have a point though as no black person I know is moving to NY to live in a suburb and if its gonna be anywhere it would be Brooklyn or Harlem.

Areas like Auburn/Edgewood have a few black owned business but the list you gave puts Atlanta at a disadvantage because its not nearly as dense or urban but that doesnt mean those areas dont give the same feel.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:35 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I actually agree with you in 2020, however the OP said he isn’t moving here for a couple years. I guess this conversation needs to be continued. Everything will be very different by then. I know they say NYC businesses will be hit the worse by COVID-19 and DC should be one of the first to recover. I guess we will see.
Benning and Minnesota will improve in urbanity areas-this is the destiny of DC for the foreseeable future. Keep in mind though most cities will also improve as will other areas of DC.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:36 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Close-in suburbs that function as urban extensions of the city should be in play also. With that in mind, maybe downtown Silver Spring would work. By the time he's looking to move, it's possible some neighborhoods along the Purple Line might be in play also.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I mean neither are perfect, and both are on their way to being filled in with further development. But you're saying:

This:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7380...7i16384!8i8192

Is a better commercial district than this?

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8947...7i16384!8i8192

Anacostia is a true commercial strip that's already vibrant and growing. It's way ahead of the other two.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8644...4!8i8192?hl=en
That first link its just 3 blocks from those condominiums next to West End Mall that looks almost exactly like the area in your second link
Here is a better view
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7407...7i16384!8i8192

Old 05-18-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Close-in suburbs that function as urban extensions of the city should be in play also. With that in mind, maybe downtown Silver Spring would work. By the time he's looking to move, it's possible some neighborhoods along the Purple Line might be in play also.

He may not have a choice. I don’t think he/she will be able to afford to live in the city. By the time he moves here, a 1-bedroom will be $2,000 per month even on Minnesota Avenue in Ward 7. I know my house will be worth around $500,000 in the next two years.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Benning and Minnesota will improve in urbanity areas-this is the destiny of DC for the foreseeable future. Keep in mind though most cities will also improve as will other areas of DC.
True, but not many cities are gaining black people. DC and Atlanta are the only two cities being discussed that are adding black people in the city.

With Ward 7 and Ward 8 in DC adding educated black people with high salaries, the economic demographics are going to change.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I mean neither are perfect, and both are on their way to being filled in with further development. But you're saying:

This:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7380...7i16384!8i8192

Is a better commercial district than this?

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8947...7i16384!8i8192

Anacostia is a true commercial strip that's already vibrant and growing. It's way ahead of the other two.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8644...4!8i8192?hl=en
Cascade Heights is often forgotten about bit its turned into a really nice vibrant area for black middle class patrons,This video is 2 years old so a lot more has popped up since
https://www.cbs46.com/news/southwest...ecbba13b0.html

Old 05-18-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Wow, that’s kind of eye opening hearing their Boston black experience. We really take living in cities like DC and Atlanta for granted sometimes. Thanks for sharing that.
Is it eyeopening though? They said what one would expect.

roxbury/dorchester/mattapan=cool..you can go out and party and be with your people but there's an overall feeling of tolerating black people as opposed to celebrating black people...prosperous city preferable to kentucky..lotta white history/culture to work against...working to improve the social scene...some of them hated on the sunbelt...lotta west indians..expensive..good shopping

I thought it was weird how one girl said its nothing like DC or NYC but one dude was like id rather be here than "cities like DC or Charlotte." I also don't know why he equated DC with Charlotte, there always gonna be black people that just prefer to be in Boston than the south And just prefer it over anywhere else, but i dont know why he targeted those two desirable cities.

This is a dude who has been told to move to the south but wont.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoeEv_6vrJU

Old 05-18-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
True, but not many cities are gaining black people. DC and Atlanta are the only two cities being discussed that are adding black people in the city.

With Ward 7 and Ward 8 in DC adding educated black people with high salaries, the economic demographics are going to change.
where did OP go? buying a home in Benning/Minne makes way more sense than renting or even buying in ATL, imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City