Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 05:50 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No neighborhood in America is really a buppie magnet with the exception of Harlem and parts of Brooklyn. This is simply going by the data. In my mind, at least, a neighborhood can't be a buppie magnet if it's 60%+ White and Blacks make up less than 10% of college graduates.

As I said earlier, Baltimore is a better place than most people realize. Although it doesn't have anything close to the overall Black affluence of DC or Atlanta on a metro level, it has majority Black neighborhoods with absolutely beautiful mid-19th Century homes. You already have a decent-sized bohemian community in Bolton/Reservoir Hill that's under the radar. The problems in Baltimore are obvious, but this unfortunately comes with the territory. If you want to live in a neighborhood with a bunch of Black creatives, it needs to be affordable, and affordability often means crime.

If Reservoir Hill ever gentrifies, the burgeoning Black bohemia within it will certainly be washed away. But for now, it's one of the few places I can think of in America with any meaningful concentration of young, Black creatives.
I think there's a big distinction between buppies and creatives. And by your buppie neighborhood criteria, you'd have to include DC, and idk if Harlem qualifies (is Harlem 60% black in 2020? Definitely not West harlem or East Harlem).

Not sure if I agree on Baltimore either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 05:57 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I think there's a big distinction between buppies and creatives. And by your buppie neighborhood criteria, you'd have to include DC, and idk if Harlem qualifies (is Harlem 60% black in 2020? Definitely not West harlem or East Harlem).

Not sure if I agree on Baltimore either.
In 2000 the black population was 77% in Harlem by 2010 it was 63% I would guess it around 40%-45 now.

Gentrification started around 1998-1999 in Harlem it pick up in 2006 and then again in 2015

Early 2010
https://gothamist.com/news/blacks-ar...rity-in-harlem

Old 05-18-2020, 06:16 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
I wish more college educated young black people did live in Baltimore and not DC tbh. I wanted one of the bonuses of being down here should be being around many black professionals- in DC that was the case despite what I didn’t like about DC, it had that. honestly events I go to In Canton Fells Fed Hill Patterson Park be as white bread as the ones in central Boston. That being said I’ve gone to some more black spots but like in Boston they’re mostly all for locals and ‘hood’ I have a good tine and the shoddy hookah lounge in Park Ave but it’s not a chance to build networks and friendships really.

Resevoir Hill looks great and is affordable but with a black population as big as Baltimore I wish there was more. Reservoir Hill is also so isolated, that kills the vibrancy. Baltimroe has a surprising amount of super white yuppie areas.

I agree buppies are different than creatives. A lot more black creatives than buppies- although there is some overlap and they may have gone to college together.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:25 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I wish more college educated young black people did live in Baltimore and not DC tbh. I wanted one of the bonuses of being down here should be being around many black professionals- in DC that was the case despite what I didn’t like about DC, it had that. honestly events I go to In Canton Fells Fed Hill Patterson Park be as white bread as the ones in central Boston. That being said I’ve gone to some more black spots but like in Boston they’re mostly all for locals and ‘hood’ I have a good tine and the shoddy hookah lounge in Park Ave but it’s not a chance to build networks and friendships really.

Resevoir Hill looks great and is affordable but with a black population as big as Baltimore I wish there was more. Reservoir Hill is also so isolated, that kills the vibrancy. Baltimroe has a surprising amount of super white yuppie areas.

I agree buppies are different than creatives. A lot more black creatives than buppies- although there is some overlap and they may have gone to college together.

Charlotte, Atlanta, DC, Raleigh, Houston, Dallas are popular spots

Old 05-18-2020, 06:33 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:

May I ask what you didn’t like about DC that made you move to Baltimore?

Old 05-18-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
May I ask what you didn’t like about DC that made you move to Baltimore?
Expensive, lacked a good feel of local culture/culture in general, felt like a district and not a city, very focused/driven yet self centered folks, Tons of traffic highly rigid police/military/government worker feel that felt stifling, a lot of groupthink within the black community (could also be called unity), speeding cameras, expensive.

Baltimore was cheaper, more laid back, I preferred the architecture, like the grittier more northern feel, people much friendlier, far fewer speeding cameras, very neighborhood feel with strong local culture, slightly closer to my wife’s family and my family, far less traffic, surprisingly better food/food scene, Bmore club>go go

Old 05-18-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Expensive, lacked a good feel of local culture/culture in general, felt like a district and not a city, very focused/driven yet self centered folks, Tons of traffic highly rigid police/military/government worker feel that felt stifling, a lot of groupthink within the black community (could also be called unity), speeding cameras, expensive.

Baltimore was cheaper, more laid back, I preferred the architecture, like the grittier more northern feel, people much friendlier, far fewer speeding cameras, very neighborhood feel with strong local culture, slightly closer to my wife’s family and my family, far less traffic, surprisingly better food/food scene, Bmore club>go go
Understood, I’d probably have a list just as long for Baltimore saying the opposite of what you like. DC attracts a certain type of person that is usually black and very educated and very successful. With that, you get all that comes with it.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:03 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No neighborhood in America is really a buppie magnet with the exception of Harlem and parts of Brooklyn. This is simply going by the data. In my mind, at least, a neighborhood can't be a buppie magnet if it's 60%+ White and Blacks make up less than 10% of college graduates.

As I said earlier, Baltimore is a better place than most people realize. Although it doesn't have anything close to the overall Black affluence of DC or Atlanta on a metro level, it has majority Black neighborhoods with absolutely beautiful mid-19th Century homes. You already have a decent-sized bohemian community in Bolton/Reservoir Hill that's under the radar. The problems in Baltimore are obvious, but this unfortunately comes with the territory. If you want to live in a neighborhood with a bunch of Black creatives, it needs to be affordable, and affordability often means crime.

If Reservoir Hill ever gentrifies, the burgeoning Black bohemia within it will certainly be washed away. But for now, it's one of the few places I can think of in America with any meaningful concentration of young, Black creatives.
I'm going to have to pay attention to that neighborhood next time I'm in the vicinity.

Philadelphia doesn't have a similar neighborhood? I'd also think that cities like Detroit, St. Louis, New Orleans, and maybe Memphis would have something similar.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Understood, I’d probably have a list just as long for Baltimore saying the opposite of what you like. DC attracts a certain type of person that is usually black and very educated and very successful. With that, you get all that comes with it.
Yea I feel that. Baltimore obviously has its downsides...almost went with Philly. Had the oppurtunity to live in Harlem years back but passed. I’m kind of indifferent at this point all the big 5 cities offer a cool different vibe and urbanity, all are good places to be.

Philly I find The most walkable and I love the food and think the city is the perfect size. NYC is most exciting and I love the late night options and variety of everything and all the subgroups. I’ve talked about what I like in the other three.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Yea I feel that. Baltimore obviously has its downsides...almost went with Philly. Had the oppurtunity to live in Harlem years back but passed. I’m kind of indifferent at this point all the big 5 cities offer a cool different vibe and urbanity, all are good places to be.

Philly I find The most walkable and I love the food and think the city is the perfect size. NYC is most exciting and I love the late night options and variety of everything and all the subgroups. I’ve talked about what I like in the other three.
I have many friends in Baltimore and Philadelphia, but they don’t really like it. They say that those cities lack a black professional scene and they say most venues are ghetto which I have experienced also. You aren’t going to have the DC scene outside of DC, a city has to attract a certain type of black person to have the scene we enjoy here. You can’t have your cake and eat it too though. Having all the successful and professional black people here in DC comes with a price. That price is the cost of housing and the competition of being the best. We make a lot of money and we are very educated, but it comes with all the other baggage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City