Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 07:24 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I thought it was weird how one girl said its nothing like DC or NYC but one dude was like id rather be here than "cities like DC or Charlotte." I also don't know why he equated DC with Charlotte, there always gonna be black people that just prefer to be in Boston than the south And just prefer it over anywhere else, but i dont know why he targeted those two desirable cities.
That was indeed a pretty interesting statement but I suppose my takeaway is that it is confirmation that Charlotte has truly arrived as a national Black migration hot spot. It's like a smaller Dallas with a larger Black culture and popation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
where did OP go? buying a home in Benning/Minne makes way more sense than renting or even buying in ATL, imo
This is way too general of a statement to make so affirmatively. What "makes sense" depends on several factors.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:31 PM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That was indeed a pretty interesting statement but I suppose my takeaway is that it is confirmation that Charlotte has truly arrived as a national Black migration hot spot. It's like a smaller Dallas with a larger Black culture and popation.
Yea Charlotte is definitely a destination. My best guess is he feels Charlotte and DC are more conventional or buttoned up as far as the black population goes. I’m not sure how else those cities are similar.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Yea Charlotte is definitely a destination. My best guess is he feels Charlotte and DC are more conventional or buttoned up as far as the black population goes. I’m not sure how else those cities are similar.
Yeah I can see that. Both have a more polished feel and a lot of the new development in DC gives me Charlotte vibes believe it or not.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:38 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
In 2000 the black population was 77% in Harlem by 2010 it was 63% I would guess it around 40%-45 now.

Gentrification started around 1998-1999 in Harlem it pick up in 2006 and then again in 2015

Early 2010
https://gothamist.com/news/blacks-ar...rity-in-harlem
I believe that Central Harlem is still around 65% black. As recent as 2014, the 10030 zip code was 70% black and 10026 was 57.45% black. 10027 was a little over 41%, was was the highest in plurality and 10037 was 73.77% black. So, those are the zip codes in “Greater” Harlem with predominantly black or pluralistically more black than anything else.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:41 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Yeah I can see that. Both have a more polished feel and a lot of the new development in DC gives me Charlotte vibes believe it or not.
Which do you prefer, new or gritty? I know some people prefer gritty, but I like new buildings personally. I have friends that live in Harlem and they have window unit air conditioning and stuff like with roommates still paying $1500 a piece. I just couldn’t do that. If I don’t have my own house, I would rather live in a new building with a rooftop pool and concierge with floor to ceiling windows. Black people aren’t really living like that in Harlem.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:54 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
I'm going to have to pay attention to that neighborhood next time I'm in the vicinity.
It's a nice neighborhood but it's certainly not without its challenges. I know Marilyn Mosby lives in Reservoir Hill and Elijah Cummings lived only a stone's throw away in Marble Hill. So there's definitely a solid community there though it's far from a Black urban Shangri-La. But the neighborhood has gotten better since they razed the "Murder Mall" and the renovations to Druid Hill Park should give the area a much needed shot in the arm.

The housing stock in Bolton/Reservoir is insane. By "insane" I mean you can buy a multi-unit building for less than 300K. It's some of the most beautiful real estate on the entire East Coast and probably the cheapest as well.

https://goo.gl/maps/q5JmMivh6WwhPcFM8

You're not going to get rapid appreciation there the way you would buying anywhere in DC. But it's a good option for young Black professionals who want the character of Adams-Morgan for 1/5th the price. The real downside to Reservoir Hill (aside from the crime) is that nearly all of the retail is in Bolton Hill, but it's just a short walk across Route 40.

Quote:
Philadelphia doesn't have a similar neighborhood? I'd also think that cities like Detroit, St. Louis, New Orleans, and maybe Memphis would have something similar.
No. What makes Reservoir Hill unique is its architectural heritage and proximity to an arts school. Philly has an arts institute, but it's not adjacent to a Black neighborhood.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:03 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I think there's a big distinction between buppies and creatives. And by your buppie neighborhood criteria, you'd have to include DC, and idk if Harlem qualifies (is Harlem 60% black in 2020? Definitely not West harlem or East Harlem).

Not sure if I agree on Baltimore either.
Why would I have to include DC?

"Harlem" is not one neighborhood. It's a collection of different neighborhoods (Sugar Hill, Hamilton Heights). Depending on how one defines Harlem, it's probably not, but I believe it was either Baldwin or Hughes who said "Harlem is wherever the Negro is to be found north of 110th Street." So by that definition, Harlem is very much majority Black.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Which do you prefer, new or gritty? I know some people prefer gritty, but I like new buildings personally. I have friends that live in Harlem and they have window unit air conditioning and stuff like with roommates still paying $1500 a piece. I just couldn’t do that. If I don’t have my own house, I would rather live in a new building with a rooftop pool and concierge with floor to ceiling windows. Black people aren’t really living like that in Harlem.
I like some of both. Atlanta tends to do that well in various places.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's a nice neighborhood but it's certainly not without its challenges. I know Marilyn Mosby lives in Reservoir Hill and Elijah Cummings lived only a stone's throw away in Marble Hill. So there's definitely a solid community there though it's far from a Black urban Shangri-La. But the neighborhood has gotten better since they razed the "Murder Mall" and the renovations to Druid Hill Park should give the area a much needed shot in the arm.

The housing stock in Bolton/Reservoir is insane. By "insane" I mean you can buy a multi-unit building for less than 300K. It's some of the most beautiful real estate on the entire East Coast and probably the cheapest as well.

https://goo.gl/maps/q5JmMivh6WwhPcFM8

You're not going to get rapid appreciation there the way you would buying anywhere in DC. But it's a good option for young Black professionals who want the character of Adams-Morgan for 1/5th the price. The real downside to Reservoir Hill (aside from the crime) is that nearly all of the retail is in Bolton Hill, but it's just a short walk across Route 40.

No. What makes Reservoir Hill unique is its architectural heritage and proximity to an arts school. Philly has an arts institute, but it's not adjacent to a Black neighborhood.
Ah, I've been in this neighborhood before and remember thinking how nice it was. Cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City