Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 08:24 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Which do you prefer, new or gritty? I know some people prefer gritty, but I like new buildings personally. I have friends that live in Harlem and they have window unit air conditioning and stuff like with roommates still paying $1500 a piece. I just couldn’t do that. If I don’t have my own house, I would rather live in a new building with a rooftop pool and concierge with floor to ceiling windows. Black people aren’t really living like that in Harlem.

It’s not the grittiness. In DC your occupation generally means a lot more socially than in Boston. In Boston people really don’t care what you do. It’s all about belonging in general. Black people especially in Boston tend to care a lot more about what are you doing for this city? How long have you been here? Where do you live? Who do you know? People care a lot less about what your job is or how you present yourself. This is figure is because it’s a more insular, more segregated and less transient region. Individual success is also not really meant to be celebrated in traditional New England culture and believe it or. Not that does manifest in Boston and permeate through the society. Boston isn’t much grittier than DC-theyre about even l.

As far as the housing situation I wouldn’t call cramped or old quarters ‘gritty’ Per se. Grittiness sort of implies ugly surrounding and fighting against the odds. Neither of which is applicable for modern day Harlem/trendy Brooklyn. When I worked as a teaching fellow in Boston I shared a former school turned boarding house with 14 other teaching fellows. Granted it waSMS free housing provided by the school but it was over a hundred years old and the only maintenance man was the husband of some administrator and he was a nut. Still I got to live with 12 other black and Latino young professionals (one from Atlanta/Miami) and we were 2minutes from the train stop on foot and we could be in the middle of downtown in 17 minutes. It was a well kept but dense area and very diverse. It did not feel gritty at all-even when a window pane fell out of the window and onto me during a storm. And even with the rickety appliances. It was a great feeling of opportunity, functionality and comradery that gritty- for many bullies in NYC or Boston that’s more the norm than gritty.

Edie they renovated the building my second half is school year and also but a brand new triple decker to house more staff.

I lived here for free with a bunch of other recent black college degrade and got to serve my community. Wonderful time. The train station was attached to my place of work.Two bars we used to frequent were 45 second and 7/8 minutes away. My barber was right there, as was the grocery store, organic store, clothing stores, Dunkin, a park, Bubble tea, and a bodega were all within a 10 minute walk It was more about the experience than what I had
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 08:33 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Which do you prefer, new or gritty? I know some people prefer gritty, but I like new buildings personally. I have friends that live in Harlem and they have window unit air conditioning and stuff like with roommates still paying $1500 a piece. I just couldn’t do that. If I don’t have my own house, I would rather live in a new building with a rooftop pool and concierge with floor to ceiling windows. Black people aren’t really living like that in Harlem.
Median Rent

20001 - $2,021
20002 - $1,558
11216 - $1,408
10027 - $1,193

Old 05-18-2020, 08:42 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Median Rent

20001 - $2,021
20002 - $1,558
11216 - $1,408
10027 - $1,193
My rent in 20002 back in 2012 was $2300 for a 1-bedroom apartment. I didn’t have a wall unit air conditioner and it wasn’t a walkup.

Median rent means nothing. Especially with rent control and people that have lived in the neighborhood forever. That’s common in Harlem. I don’t know anybody living in a rent controlled unit.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Median rent means nothing. Especially with rent control and people that have lived in the neighborhood forever. That’s common in Harlem. I don’t know anybody living in a rent controlled unit.
Rent Asked (% of Units Asking for $3,500 and Above)

20001 - 15.5%
11205 - 7.3%
10027 - 6.5%
20002 - 5.6%
11216 - 1.0%

Old 05-18-2020, 09:20 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Rent Asked (% of Units Asking for $3,500 and Above)

20001 - 15.5%
11205 - 7.3%
10027 - 6.5%
20002 - 5.6%
11216 - 1.0%
How about $3000? Also, what do I get for my rent in Harlem? How much is a new building?

By the way, I have to admit that I missed our debates. It’s been years and the last couple days took me way back. Crazy that it’s been about 10-years. Time flies and I’m happy you’re still healthy and doing well.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdallstar View Post
how about $3000?
20001 - 23.0%
10027 - 11.1%
20002 - 10.5%
11205 - 7.4%
11216 - 1.6%

Quote:
How much is a new building?
Apparently less than Shaw LOL.

Quote:
By the way, I have to admit that I missed our debates. It’s been years and the last couple days took me way back. Crazy that it’s been about 10-years. Time flies and I’m happy you’re still healthy and doing well.
Likewise, man. A lot has changed in a decade. I hope you and your loved ones are staying safe. Same goes out to the other posters here.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:31 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
DC had the '68 riots as a push factor but Atlanta never really had an event like that as a push factor. The closest thing might be when the public housing projects in the city were razed in the 90's, but more of those displaced residents remained in the city than many seem to think.
Your right because Atlanta black population is decreasing but its slowed considerably.I dont think its decreasing as fast as DC black pop so it seems.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
You have never said more truer words.One of the main reason I dont see myself ever living again in the Northeast.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
yea i mean 400k is still within reach of ordinary folk. If he can secure that now itll no doubt be 700k within 20 years. Atlanta wont appreciate like that. Also if he owns hell get to see the fruits of development
Are you kidding?If you are looking at appreciation rates by percentage Atlanta has areas that will appreciate as much but DC property cost of living is more expensive so salaries will be higher.
Its irrelevant if he cant afford to buy in DC but Atlanta isnt cheap either.Less expensive is more like it

Old 05-18-2020, 11:59 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,743,276 times
Quote:
It's a nice neighborhood but it's certainly not without its challenges. I know Marilyn Mosby lives in Reservoir Hill and Elijah Cummings lived only a stone's throw away in Marble Hill. So there's definitely a solid community there though it's far from a Black urban Shangri-La. But the neighborhood has gotten better since they razed the "Murder Mall" and the renovations to Druid Hill Park should give the area a much needed shot in the arm.

The housing stock in Bolton/Reservoir is insane. By "insane" I mean you can buy a multi-unit building for less than 300K. It's some of the most beautiful real estate on the entire East Coast and probably the cheapest as well.

https://goo.gl/maps/q5JmMivh6WwhPcFM8

You're not going to get rapid appreciation there the way you would buying anywhere in DC. But it's a good option for young Black professionals who want the character of Adams-Morgan for 1/5th the price. The real downside to Reservoir Hill (aside from the crime) is that nearly all of the retail is in Bolton Hill, but it's just a short walk across Route 40.

No. What makes Reservoir Hill unique is its architectural heritage and proximity to an arts school. Philly has an arts institute, but it's not adjacent to a Black neighborhood.
Is it feasible to commute from Baltimore to DC on transit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City