Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2020, 12:33 AM

37,876 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Is it feasible to commute from Baltimore to DC on transit?
It's doable but I wouldn't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 05:58 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Is it feasible to commute from Baltimore to DC on transit?
Yea, people do it. Take the MARC. It’s a 50 minute train ride and about $7

Old 05-19-2020, 07:06 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
A lot more people will be working from home in the future. They'll definitely be working from home in the foreseeable future. So while it's quite possible OP may be required to go into a physical office, the odds of that are becoming lower by the day, so commute times may not be the factor in living decisions the way they have typically been.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ndemic/611098/

Old 05-19-2020, 08:24 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm going to have to pay attention to that neighborhood next time I'm in the vicinity.

Philadelphia doesn't have a similar neighborhood? I'd also think that cities like Detroit, St. Louis, New Orleans, and maybe Memphis would have something similar.
I'd say the Villages and in particular, West Village: https://visitdetroit.com/west-village-detroit/
https://detroit.curbed.com/neighborh...3/west-village

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3554...2!9m2!1b1!2i37

Old 05-19-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
A lot more people will be working from home in the future. They'll definitely be working from home in the foreseeable future. So while it's quite possible OP may be required to go into a physical office, the odds of that are becoming lower by the day, so commute times may not be the factor in living decisions the way they have typically been.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ndemic/611098/
This is true and I was thinking about that, although I don't know if a career in policy might require more frequent proximity to lawmakers or not.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:18 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
DC is overall more urban no doubt and one of the most urban cities in the country, but no, it is not uniformly urban across every square inch of the city. If you don't know that there are some strip malls and big box/grocery/retail establishments with no shortage of surface parking, and even a couple of neighborhoods that look like this and this in the city limits, then you don't know DC. Atlanta has more commercial and residental areas like this no doubt, but let's not exaggerate.

He can make an urban neighborhood in Atlanta, which won't be much cheaper than one in DC, work with roommates.

Interesting.
Maybe some poor words but far from an exaggeration. If that's the case then NYC is also exaggerated because of Staten Island and large swaths of Queens.

I know DC pretty well actually since I am there multiple times a year and its one of my favorite cities. Urban cities always have a section that comes off as suburban which is why I made the statement of it being an urban city.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Not sure about Chicago. Harlem is by far the best option if you want a bunch of Black-owned establishments in a small geographic footprint (or at least establishments where the patronage will be anywhere from 40-100% Black). There are at least 10 places on the stretch of FDB between 116th and 125th alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HC4R6X4TRw
I hope to leave Brooklyn and go to Harlem in the next few months or so. Good video.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Maybe some poor words but far from an exaggeration. If that's the case then NYC is also exaggerated because of Staten Island and large swaths of Queens.

I know DC pretty well actually since I am there multiple times a year and its one of my favorite cities. Urban cities always have a section that comes off as suburban which is why I made the statement of it being an urban city.
It is understood that when you say that x city is urban or suburban that it is referring to the way most of the city where a majority of the population lives is built, not how every single acre of the city has been developed. But when you say "DC is an urban city at all points of its city limits," you are literally saying that everywhere within the city limits of DC is urban and walkable, and that is certainly an exaggeration even though it is obviously one of the nation's most urban cities.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:42 AM

I'm one of those black people that does not believe there is a "best city" for AAs or blacks. Its very subjective since opportunity is very wide.

I believe there are many good locations for blacks that doesn't involve just DC and ATL. its pretty interesting how real life differs from the internet. I noticed that in most blacks groups I follow on facebook black folks tend to have a much wider range of where they want to move to. Also when it comes to urban I think Bajan Yankee has done a good job showing that DC is not the only urban option out there for blacks.

Brozeville in a city just as Chicago probably offers you just as much opportunities as ATL/DC simply because its in Chicago the third largest city in America and a monster city which has top notch networking circle. If i were in the finance field I would have chosen that area easily and its probably much more affordable than Harlem which is also located in a monster city with endless opportunities for everyone.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Sweet Auburn in Atlanta has a walkscore of 91. Walkscore isn't about urban design, it's about access to retail. Build retail and your walkscore goes up. It's pretty simple.

To put this into perspective, Sweet Auburn shown below has a greater walkscore than LeDroit Park, Bloomingdale, Mount Pleasant, Capital Riverfront/Navy Yard (this one is....lol), Howard University/Plesant Plains, Capitol Hill, Eckington, and Petworth in DC. Think about that for a second...

Sweet Auburn View 1

Sweet Auburn View 2

Sweet Auburn View 3

Sweet Auburn View 4

Sweet Auburn View 5

Sweet Auburn View 6

A neighborhood with development this scarce wouldn't even exist in DC, but the neighborhood is somehow close to the same level as the most dense and vibrant neighborhoods across America with a walkscore of 91.

I was in this area a few months back. Pretty dope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City