Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2020, 01:53 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

To me to be awhite city or a black city a majority of people have to be of that race. Otherwise you’re kind of going out of your way to ignore most of the city and those cultures which can also be large and influential. Honestly if you’re not 55% white or black it’s hard for me to really see you as a “____ city” You’re ignoring all the parties, events, kickbacks, nodes, customs of just too many people -I understand why people disagree - just my two cents. At the absolute bare minimum I think you should At least be twice as big as the next biggest group.

I wonder if white people still see DC as a black city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 01:54 PM

209 posts, read 234,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I do think its interesting that DC is one of the few (if only) major American city with no white culture, even though white people have lived in DC and have been the majority group since its inception. I guess you could point to the DC harDCore scene (long gone) and the federal government/the Hill subculture (includes blacks and other races/ethnicities so I would call this white culture).

Meanwhile you can drive an hour up to Baltimore or an hour into Virginia and find plenty of European-American culture/local white cultures.
It might have to do with dc historically not being a major gateway city for immigration pre-war and that it was never a huge manufacturing center. Black people have been apart of the city’s fabric since the end of the civil war whereas whites have been more transient.

Old 05-19-2020, 02:23 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
I'm surprised no one from Atlanta has mentioned the Apache Cafe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xat-bUb3eug

Old 05-19-2020, 02:24 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
You picked the least developed part of the neighborhood and some of that area is Old FOrth Ward,Not Sweet Auburn.Sweet Auburm starts kust South of Peachtree which is continuous development from downtown Atlanta.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Au...!4d-84.3774612

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Au...!4d-84.3774612
Is that downtown Atlanta or Sweet Auburn? If it is Sweet Auburn, where does downtown Atlanta begin?

This reference along with this reference say it stops at the downtown connector I-85.

Old 05-19-2020, 02:56 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Not Seattle and Denver but all up and down the east coast for sure.
In Seattle, it was and to a lesser degree now the Central District and South Seattle.

In Denver, it was 5 Points around Welton Street and Park Hill is an economically diverse neighborhood that is pluralistically, if not predominantly black in some parts of it.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-19-2020 at 03:23 PM..

Old 05-19-2020, 03:07 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Saying DC is a black city is not really true..

The city will be nearly as white as it is balck in 10 years. More whites people than most major cities (it’s whiter than NYC PHI BAL). Whites people still make the most money, and they’re a huge part of the city’s current renaissance. As I’m sure you know young white people are jettisoni BF New England and love landing in DC. It’s probably the East coast’ too destination city for young white people. DC is just more black than Phillly (44 v 42%) and more white (37.5% vs 34%)

NYC also has huge concentrations of balck people than kind of dwarf anything going on in DC.

Trying to label an entire diverse city as black is not serious. Many areas of DC feel Uber white. You can’t really encapsulate a whole city like that unless it’s obvious.

Memphis, New Orleans, Detroit, Baltimroe-those are black cities. Dc was but it’s not anymore. It’s Mocha City

You can go to festivals in DC and 80% of the crowd is white. You can go to festival in NYC and 99% of the crowd in black
Even in the whitest parts of DC, you will see black people walking around. The only festivals that are 80% white are right wing, republican rallies on the mall.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Even in the whitest parts of DC, you will see black people walking around. The only festivals that are 80% white are right wing, republican rallies on the mall.
Nah. You don't see us in Foxhall, Tenleytown, Cleveland Park, etc. Those parts of town are All-American.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:13 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Nah. You don't see us in Foxhall, Tenleytown, Cleveland Park, etc. Those parts of town are All-American.
That’s absolutely false.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
That’s absolutely false.
It's absolutely true.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:32 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Stop it. I work in Friendship Heights. I see us all over Tenleytown, American U Park, and Chevy Chase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City