Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2020, 12:40 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Ugh. please don’t compare Bsoton to Arlington ever again. Barf.
I meant in the sense of living in a place that's lacking Black people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
But to be fair with OPs budget they’d most likely be in the hood which would ultimately be fine it’s not 1995 DC. Maybe they snag an income restricted unit near Howard if they’re lucky
Or a basement apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 12:52 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
It seems like agreeing on one definition of what urban should be and making four lists should get the OP's options laid out. Take the definition of urban and apply it to various DC and Atlanta area neighborhoods and generate two lists, one for each city, of the urban neighborhoods. Then make another two lists, one for each city, of neighborhoods that have 30% or more AA population as stipulated by the OP. Take the two lists for each city and find the overlap. Then you have two lists that meet the criteria and the limiting it down to specific neighborhoods should make the comparison easier.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:54 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Or a basement apartment.
You’re not far off. But even that’s not a the best comparison. Arlington is Cambridge. Demographically and culturally nearly identical. Cambridge being more expensive, hip, and walkable with a more ‘urban’ black populace (Arlington only recently became urban/urbane) and more tight knit black community (Central Square, Portside and the Coast). It wasn’t long ago Cambridge public schools were nearly 40% black (2007ish) No Roxburys (which could be considered a thriving black community) in Arlington.

And yea basement apartment Is also real...

Old 05-20-2020, 12:56 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It seems like agreeing on one definition of what urban should be and making four lists should get the OP's options laid out. Take the definition of urban and apply it to various DC and Atlanta area neighborhoods and generate two lists, one for each city, of the urban neighborhoods. Then make another two lists, one for each city, of neighborhoods that have 30% or more AA population as stipulated by the OP. Take the two lists for each city and find the overlap. Then you have two lists that meet the criteria and the limiting it down to specific neighborhoods should make the comparison easier.
This is City-Data. You know better. Trump will refer to Obama as the Greatest President of All Time before 3 or more posters will ever agree "on one definition of what urban should be."

Old 05-20-2020, 12:58 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:

Or a basement apartment.
Unfortunately, I strongly double anyone can find a basement apartment anywhere in the urban core for $1400 these days. Even basement apartments are fetching around $1700+.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
If the OP listens to some of these posters, he'll end up in Ballston 2.0 (might as well be Boston) or in the hood. It sounds like he's not looking to live in either.

As I said from the beginning, the OP's best bet is the area adjacent to Howard University. The data shows this as well as common observation. While it's not a supremely strong concentration of Black professionals, it is a stronger concentration than what exists in urban Atlanta.
I don't know of any urban predominately black neighborhoods that aren't the hood in America. Anacostia, Bedstuy, Harlem, West End, etc. etc. They are all the hood. Howard was the hood till about 5-years ago and some people still call it the hood. There is going to be crime and homeless people and everything else that comes with the hood. It is what it is if you choose to live in an urban black neighborhood. The only black neighborhoods that aren't hood are neighborhoods with no retail it seems.

I think that's something black people that desire to live around other black people accept as a necessary evil. It stems from what happened to our people during Slavery, Jim Crow, Civil Rights, Red Lining, Korean War Drug Addicted Soldiers, Vietnam War Drug Addicted Soldiers, and the Crack Epidemic. We are just building out of that sequence now.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
This is City-Data. You know better. Trump will refer to Obama as the Greatest President of All Time before 3 or more posters will ever agree "on one definition of what urban should be."
Meh, let's just say walkscore of 80 or higher. There are issues with walkscore, but it seems like anything 80 or higher is almost certainly at least somewhat urban and almost nowhere that's significantly walkable would score lower. Just urban enough, is all.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don't know of any urban predominately black neighborhoods that aren't the hood in America. Anacostia, Bedstuy, Harlem, West End, etc. etc. They are all the hood. Howard was the hood till about 5-years ago and some people still call it the hood. There is going to be crime and homeless people and everything else that comes with the hood. It is what it is if you choose to live in an urban black neighborhood. The only black neighborhoods that aren't hood are neighborhoods with no retail it seems.

I think that's something black people that desire to live around other black people accept as a necessary evil. It stems from what happened to our people during Slavery, Jim Crow, Civil Rights, Red Lining, Korean War Drug Addicted Soldiers, Vietnam War Drug Addicted Soldiers, and the Crack Epidemic. We are just building out of that sequence now.
Southeast Queens isn definitely not the most urban part of NYC, but it is majority AA for the most part, pretty urban by US standards, parts of it are middle class to upper middle class with fairly good crime rates and there are retail strips.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Meh, let's just say walkscore of 80 or higher. There are issues with walkscore, but it seems like anything 80 or higher is almost certainly at least somewhat urban and almost nowhere that's significantly walkable would score lower. Just urban enough, is all.
Georgetown DC Walkscore 79

Old 05-20-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Oh damn, maybe we lower it to 75? Walkscore defines 70 to 89 as Very Walkable, but I feel like I've seen neighborhoods that were in the 70 range that weren't all that walkable though I don't recall specific ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City